PDA

View Full Version : another jetting question for ya

Fenix169motox
12-15-2005, 09:57 AM
ok get this... i had an fmf megamax slip on, and i just got a tc supertrapp. with the fmf there was a 148 main jett in there,,, and i herd on here that i should go with a 165, and i did, it still runs but i cant do a plug check b/c scince i need new rings it just turns the plug black anyways, or maybe im just dumb, i havent checked what notch the needle is on so any suggestions???? thanks

2muchquad
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
if it ran fine with the 148,i doubt you would have to go up that much with just an exhaust change.how do you know you need rings and not valve seals? ;) you have to consider where you get your info from,theres some very experienced backyard tuners/mechanics such as myself and there are also some idiots that arent as informed.:D :D if it sounds like its "loading up" at full throttle then you are too rich.

Fenix169motox
12-17-2005, 07:39 AM
okok, what do you mean "loading up"? and do you have an instant messinger? i thought it was the rings cause it smokes black when its cold and on decellerations it smokes blue, or like if i revv it when its warm and it idles down i can see blue smoke puffing out.... i could go on...
yea i know i need work done on it but i dont have the $$

atvracer980
12-17-2005, 08:08 AM
I run a 162 main because I have a fully ported head, larger valves with my Duncan exhaust and it still runs alittle "fat", I dont feel your needing to go up that high on your main, you'll just "wash" your cylinder w/ fuel causing the blue smoke.

Fenix169motox
12-25-2005, 01:24 PM
okok, i now have a 155 main in there now, and when it idles down from high rpm it pops, but just a little.. its got semi-good throttle responce now too..

Fenix169motox
12-25-2005, 01:27 PM
does anyone know if it might be too lean or too rich..?? cant tell from the plug cause my rings are so bad that it turns it black anyways...
rebuild soon-- 440 stroker, i hope

Bound4Dirt
12-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Fenix169motox
ok get this... i had an fmf megamax slip on, and i just got a tc supertrapp. with the fmf there was a 148 main jett in there,,, and i herd on here that i should go with a 165, and i did, it still runs but i cant do a plug check b/c scince i need new rings it just turns the plug black anyways, or maybe im just dumb, i havent checked what notch the needle is on so any suggestions???? thanks

The needle is for 0-1/4 throttle. Agree, big jump for just a slip on. Remember, you can go to high and loose power!

Bound4Dirt
12-25-2005, 02:02 PM
okok, i now have a 155 main in there now, and when it idles down from high rpm it pops, but just a little.. its got semi-good throttle responce now too..

Air filter clean? Mine pops when I race it when its cold and I left off after WOT.

Bound4Dirt
12-25-2005, 02:04 PM
If you put a new plug in and can't do a plug chop because its already black that quick, then worring about "jetting" should be the least of your concerns IMHO.

Fenix169motox
12-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Bound4Dirt
If you put a new plug in and can't do a plug chop because its already black that quick, then worring about "jetting" should be the least of your concerns IMHO.
i dont think its that bad.. otherwise it wouldnt be top priority.. i just dontwant to run it too rich or too lean..

Bound4Dirt
12-25-2005, 04:48 PM
i dont think its that bad.. otherwise it wouldnt be top priority.. i just dontwant to run it too rich or too lean..

Then spend the $.99 for a plug and check it. :D I am being nice about it. Don't take it the wrong way. It's worth the buck!

Fenix169motox
12-26-2005, 10:09 AM
alright i got plugs and they were $5.99 a piece thank you.. LoL
ill thro em in when i get my lazy @$$ off this chair

Bound4Dirt
12-26-2005, 10:42 AM
alright i got plugs and they were $5.99 a piece thank you.. LoL
ill thro em in when i get my lazy @$$ off this chair

GREAT! Let us know or post a picture of the plug..after you do a plug chop

hondarider2006
12-26-2005, 12:53 PM
if all you have is a slip-on, and your at a 155 you are fine on the mj. I would bump your pilot jet up to a 42, remove the choke and go about 2-2 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw. As far as your needle goes....I would try the pilot jet first, and do a plug check, and if its still lean, try going down to the 4th notch on the needle and richen it up a little.

Bound4Dirt
12-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
if all you have is a slip-on, and your at a 155 you are fine on the mj. I would bump your pilot jet up to a 42, remove the choke and go about 2-2 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw. As far as your needle goes....I would try the pilot jet first, and do a plug check, and if its still lean, try going down to the 4th notch on the needle and richen it up a little.

Remember, adjusting the needle is for 0-1/4 throttle not WOT. That is the main jet's job.
First post your plug and we will all chime in on help :D

hondarider2006
12-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Bound4Dirt
Remember, adjusting the needle is for 0-1/4 throttle not WOT. That is the main jet's job.
First post your plug and we will all chime in on help :D

so do a plug check at 1/2 throttle, or 1/4, only run it WFO for the main jet test...