PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a honda odyssey/pilot

concise
12-15-2005, 09:41 AM
i may be lookin to get a odyssey(fl 350)or a pilot(fl400)to get into the buggy world.does anybody have one for sale?
post pics even if you have one and its not for sale.
i am goin to build a short wheelbase long travel buggy in the near future(with a fuel injected streetbike motor(gsxr 1000 or busa)and just wanted a good entry level buggy to mess with before i go full flow and fab and spend the $$$ on the motor and long travel shocks(not to mention oodles of metal,time,and hiem jionts)!
So post up if you got one,thanx, lata!

Titanium
12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Be ready to spend around 5 to 7 grand for a good one that is jus stock.

JTRtrx250r
12-15-2005, 09:59 AM
I got a FTZ built FL350 that EATS pilots, but your probably too far

heres a pic anyway

ugottabayou
12-15-2005, 10:17 AM
I am also looking into getting a pilot. From what I have read I'd go with the pilot instead of the odyssey. Honda really over-engineered it (good thing). Its nice to have the liquid cooled engine, and the front suspension is a-arms instead of the trailing link suspension or whatever you call it. Awsome machines. A bit pricy for some good ones but a great start for when u want to build your dream machine.

Good luck with your search!

concise
12-15-2005, 10:17 AM
cool pic,yeah i am lookin to offroad it(jump it alot)so it is gonna be setup long travel!
but at any rate how much for that fl350?

ugottabayou
12-15-2005, 10:30 AM
From what I have seen on the net probably 2-4 thousand less all depending on condition and money invested (don't quote me on that I could be wrong) but if you want to spend the $$$ on anything might as well spend what you need to get something that will better suit your needs (def. a pilot for jumping).

http://www.off-road.com/atv/pilot/

cool site, just for looks - with pilot odyssey pics, specs, etc.

Also, if you get an odyssey for a great price you can get long travel a-arm suspension for them (expensive). BUT they are not water cooled like the pilot (not from what i've researched). They say you can ride 2 hrs with water cooling, 45 min. with air cooled before having to shut it down.

JTRtrx250r
12-15-2005, 10:36 AM
stock for stock, you cant beat a Pilot dude to the aarm susp and front disk brakes and a waterpumped motor, the downfall is about 200lbs in extra weight for the extra 50 cc's. Pilots wont fit in a truck and have to be trailored, and b/c they're the last made... parts cost is redicoulas and like the trx250r.. both 350s and 400Pilots go for more well used than they did new..

I raced em' for about 10 yrs and thers not much I havent been thru. They're pretty versitlie, mom or dad or even junior can run them(handi-cap ppl also). W/ just a swap of suspension... you can go from flattrack to the jumps and bumps. Lower/stagger it, slam a wing on and go flattrackin' (REAL cheap alternative to minisprints/dirttrackin' w/ the same effect's, 1 guy can do it w/o a race-team)

Ive had em' all, and just prefer the 350 for what I do w/ it, its a happy-medium in a rough draft so to speak. Takes a CR500 Pilot to givemine a good challenge flattrackin', but for straight up full-on off-roading, the Pilot is a better platform

a built 250 will smoke both on a short track, while Pilots are harder/heavier/$pendier(that a word:confused: :D )

It all depend on what you wanna do and what your looking to get from it. they all hae their pro's-cons' but for offroad... stay away from the 2fids if you ever want to have kids haha

JTRtrx250r
12-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ugottabayou
From what I have seen on the net probably 2-4 thousand less all depending on condition and money invested (don't quote me on that I could be wrong) but if you want to spend the $$$ on anything might as well spend what you need to get something that will better suit your needs (def. a pilot for jumping).

http://www.off-road.com/atv/pilot/

cool site, just for looks - with pilot odyssey pics, specs, etc.

Also, if you get an odyssey for a great price you can get long travel a-arm suspension for them (expensive). BUT they are not water cooled like the pilot (not from what i've researched). They say you can ride 2 hrs with water cooling, 45 min. with air cooled before having to shut it down. there were a couple cool Pilot/Ody sites but not sure what happened to them.

My 350 is watercooled, theres a few way to go about it

Just remember.... MOST have been rode hard, ppl get into them and feel invinsible and just pin it, thats when they get hot , but if its jetted for it... thats another story. For the average joe (no offence Joes)the Pilot is probably the way to go, just have a fat wallet.;) That and they are newer..

concise
12-15-2005, 11:19 AM
thanx for all the info guys,keep it comin'!
as for the suspension ,i will be doin all the fab myself,so it sounds like the only concern on an fl350 would be the motor down on power,and no disk brakes(which i would take care of when i did the susp),would that be a correct assumption?
like i said this is only to get some seat time before i go all out to build a longtravel monster!!

tacundra
12-15-2005, 11:36 AM
The Pilot is an awesome machine!

I wish I did not sell my '90 model a few years ago. I took that thing through everything I took my 400...I used to clear the 60' tabletop at the local MX track with it....this Pilot was completely stock...

I am fairly certain the Pilot is drum front brakes with a single disk on the rear.

I found a guy this past weekend in Durhamtown with an '89...he is willing to trade my '05 450r for the Pilot. I am still considering it.

good luck on your search..it seems the avg price for a pilot is about 7-7.5k these days.

JTRtrx250r
12-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Most of the probs ppl have is w/ the fuel systems, they have a check valve and fuel pump, and they do go bad. The engines are like a sled motor... just Honda single cyls. If the belt gets wet... it'll just slip and glaze up like any other. Ive dealt w/ most of this stuff from fuel delivery, fuel pumps/float valves,adjustable susp mounts, to watercooled topends, even independant rear susp on the 2fids:p

It sounds like you have the right idea. Stock the 350 susp sucked(too stiff in rear and not enough up front) but Ive seen guys put custom a arm susp on a 350. A trick is trx250r a arms and spindles etc... then work in the front brake system and there you have front disks! You can get a electric waterpump and watercooled head and its pumped H2O! Theres really alot you can do to make the 350's wicked. I planned on doing alot more to mine but got into local flattackin', lotsa fun and its diffrent b/c your driving (a change from riding :p ) and its still dirt!

Ive raced against guys w/ 750 streetbike shifted motors and spanked em, get them out on a big track where they can alter gearing and get the power to the ground ...and they shine, but for shorttrackin'.. they gotta shift while the we dont. Too much weight in back or wrong weight jacking and none of them turn worth the chit, so keep that in mind when fabbing

;)

JTRtrx250r
12-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by tacundra
The Pilot is an awesome machine!

I am fairly certain the Pilot is drum front brakes with a single disk on the rear.
your right, I was thinking of something else:o :p

Its like this...

Most have been hammered, you can find them cheap... but its gonna cost alot more to fix/replace stuff on the $800-$1500 in most cases, a good clean 350 can bring $2500-$3800+, Pilots from $3500 to $6500

I wouldnt even consider getting rid of mine for a cent less than 4G's min, and FTZ did $2200 on top of it in the end, not including all the other stuff I've put on it, mine used to have nos:devil:

Good units are basically collectors these days

161xchonda
12-15-2005, 01:53 PM
my dad and uncle both had a pilot. those things are awesome. they would take them out in the woods and use them to go trail riding instead of their quads. my uncle is paralyzed and he raced one at a local fair race before. he did pretty good.