PDA

View Full Version : Compression/Rebound Adjustment

Chino886
12-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey guys,

Can someone give me a brief rundown of how to set compression and rebound? I just purchased some rebound and compression adjustable shocks (old ones were not, except rear). They are also adjustable height, unlike the old ones...

Is there anything I should watch out for when setting them up....

They are Elkas...I know someone is going to say it is personal preference but I am just trying to get an idea of what each does....I don't know jack about suspension

Chino886

12-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Chino886

I don't know jack about suspension

Chino886

u and me both

Chino886
12-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by mittimj
u and me both

I bet Jeff or Colby could help us out though....:D

400exMO
12-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I know jack about it as well, but this tech tip helped me out alot. at the top go to "Tech Guides" and then "Suspension Setup"
http://www.****techatv.com/

12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
if u put your rebound slow u will kinda stick to the ground in stead of being bouncy but it would be bad in he woops.

450r51
12-20-2005, 07:57 PM
dont listen to anything this kid says above me. we all beleive he is mentally retarded.

Chino886
12-21-2005, 06:38 AM
I know, I chuckled when he replied.....

But do you think I can put a Rancher axle on my 400EX, will it make me faster.....:blah:

12-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 450r51
dont listen to anything this kid says above me. we all beleive he is mentally retarded.

do u even know what compression and rebound is:rolleyes:

12-21-2005, 08:52 AM
for a tarck with out many jumps u can set your rebound slow so u stay lower after landing but if u hit woops or jump after jump your shocks will pack.

u want your compression fast so u get more grip but the softer the compreshion the easier it will be to bottom out.

jwick07
12-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Easy rule of thumb. Sit on the quad and let the suspension compress. Have a buddy measure the ride height with you on it. Then get off and adjust the shocks so the quad is at that height with out you on it.

Now go ride, I like to find small jumps first and hit them hard, your trying to find out if the quad is bottoming out, if so adjust the the compression to make the shock stiffer. Then progress into larger jumps. Also drive it hard into corners and deep into them, break hard, if your turning left the right front shock needs to be stiff enough to allow your quad to keep from having lots of body roll. If not it will feel like the whole quad is trying to roll over that one wheel.

For rebound go find a good whoop section or some really choppy rutted section. while hitting the whoops the shocks should soak up the hard hit then be able to snap back to take the next hit, if not they will just bang through and you will be all over the place because the shocks are not traveling they are packed. Now if you get the rebound to high or "fast" then when you land big jumps the quad will want to spring back off the ground.

Its touchy and a lot is personal prefrence. I like my suspesion pretty stiff on the track and soft of the trails.

Remember to always right down what adjustments you made that way it will be easier to make corrections. If you find something that you like for a certain track write it down.. Keep a suspension Journal or log. It will create a great refrence for you when you go to different places.

Sorry so long hope it helps.

12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
that helped me out quite a bit.