PDA

View Full Version : no air box??

blakefoote
12-15-2005, 05:25 AM
I sent my four-wheeler over to my sponsors house today to get a swingarm put on it and someother stuff....My dad has me a Christmas present with this guy and the guy is putting the christmas present on the quad....well i cant call the sponsor vecause my dad thinks he mite tell me what the present is....well to make a long story short he wanted to take my airbox off and run a K&N with an outerwear on it.....so it will be just an open area with an airfilter and the hoes goeing through.....is that going to be dangerous in any way does anyone else do this??:ermm:

Rico
12-15-2005, 08:06 AM
Doing that in TN would be a BIG mistake. That is something you would do in the sand dunes but not in the area you live in.

blakefoote
12-15-2005, 11:52 AM
yeah....that is kinda what i thought....I race Mx and SX...that aint gonna work out too hott:ermm:

Joe400ex
12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
ya i dont think thats what ur sponser is gonna do , but good guess:D

hotrodbelair
12-15-2005, 09:53 PM
there was a discusion on this not to long ago about removing the airbox. and if i remeber right it helps your performance a little bit. it also doesnt realy get as dirty as you think, somebody on here who says they tried rode around in muddy conditions and barely got any dirt on his filter . but dont mount the filter directly to the carb. have atlest 6 inches between the carb and the filter.

12-17-2005, 03:13 PM
i have the kit on my quad and went riding last spring in the mud and my quad was covered in mud but the filter only had specs of mud on it. the only thing u should do is stay away from deep water and use a outer wair. i use the water repellent one.

speedracer13t
12-19-2005, 07:44 PM
get an aluminum air box with no lid, you get the best of both world's. Thats what I did.

blakefoote
12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
well i just talked to my sponsor and he says that it will give about 10 extra horse power:huh i thought that sounded like a lil more than it really is gonna give me.....but i ride stricktly tracks and no trails or no mud at all......so:ermm:

12-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by blakefoote
well i just talked to my sponsor and he says that it will give about 10 extra horse power:huh i thought that sounded like a lil more than it really is gonna give me.....but i ride stricktly tracks and no trails or no mud at all......so:ermm:

10 hp he probly ment 10% more hp which would be like 2hp gain