PDA

View Full Version : Works Blowing Out?

Wired
06-28-2002, 12:11 PM
how many people have heard about Works shocks blowing out after hitting a huge jump? the reason i ask is because thats all i do is mainly hit larger then average jumps on a quad. i dont care about ZPS cause all i hear them are good for is cornering for mx racing. im looking for CHEAP shocks that will last and soak up the landings alot better then stockers! now remember ive gone 75 feet on stockers without blowing them so i can imagine anything else aftermarket will be a very good upgrade. but if i hear alot of bad things about Works blowing out i may have to spend more money then i really want to. OR!!! if anyones selling aftermarket shocks and they want to upgrade let me know! im looking for the cheapest way around this... lol im a cheap @ss. thanks for everyones help!

jon

Wired
06-28-2002, 06:25 PM
so i take it no ones heard of these shocks blowing out? good! i'll probably order my pair monday then :square

Juggalo
06-28-2002, 06:56 PM
i was luanchin the quad of my kicker today and overshooting the landing (we were getting a good 25 feet of air probably) and mine didn't blow (hurt bad tho!) it'll probably take quite a bit to blow em.

400exRacerX
06-28-2002, 06:59 PM
I blew my works fronts once this year and it costed me $250 to get them rebuilt. I blew the seal heads right off the shaft. I'll be getting axis next season though. But works are great for your average rider or racer.

06-29-2002, 12:45 PM
whats this "works" girls number? i would like to give this chick a call and schedual an appointment for next season. normy poo how was she? ;)

Wired
06-30-2002, 09:39 AM
LOL... well i just went ahead and got some TCS fully adjustable shocks. Ive heard nothing but good things from TCS so i'll try them.

Tommy 17
06-30-2002, 10:23 AM
john natalie told me tcs shocks were the best on the market today... he said he likes them better then axis or elka...

how much were ur tcs???

bansheeguy77
06-30-2002, 10:58 AM
i seen natalie had elkas on though at rausch....im surprised they didnt blow out....dunk told me that pep zps was the best shock on the market....never get elka's i seen about 4 quads now that had snapped their elkas in half....only seen 1 works snapped so thats pretty good.

Wired
06-30-2002, 11:51 AM
400ex21 i payed less for my 2001 TCS fully adjustable shocks then a new pair of Works tripple rates with rezzies retail for! ;)

phatswinn
06-30-2002, 12:02 PM
how?

Wired
06-30-2002, 12:09 PM
very easy, you just have to be pateint and look for great deals. as a matter of fact, i just bought a pair of works pro series fully adjustable piggy back rezzies for $500 to my door! theres deals out there guys, just have to have patients and you'll find what you want. oh and dont think for one second that shocks for that price have to be junk... ive seen AXIS shocks never been out of the packaging go for 600 dollars, BRAND SPAKING NEW! just keep your eyes open ;)

400exBro
07-01-2002, 09:49 AM
so did you get the works pro seris for 500$, because that is a great deal man, i would of bought in no time...
and works are great shocks for what you par for em....
i haven't blew mine up yet and i have over shot and cased a lot of doubles with these shocks....
get the pro seris and you will be happy...
Bro

400exRacerX
07-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Yesterday at Jack Frost I rode a 89' 250r with full TCS shocks and then I rode a lsr250r with for axis suspension. I definatly liked the axis over the tcs,,, but maybe the tcs needed to be tuned better.

Tommy 17
07-01-2002, 12:41 PM
i been lookin for deals forever... still haven't found one:(

Wired
07-01-2002, 01:20 PM
yep i just bought some Works Pro Series comp and rebound adjustable tripple rate with piggy backs for around $500 too. :macho

Wired
07-01-2002, 01:21 PM
yeah the axis are the better of the 2 shocks but the deal i got on these TCS shocks was too good to pass up. payed less the half of what they are new! :eek: :macho

NJ300ex
07-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Are the shocks you are getting for really cheap pre-owned?

Wired
07-01-2002, 04:57 PM
yep theres no way in he!! you'll get these shocks for that price new. but i always check into whatever im buying and the shocks also come with reciets of when they were rebuilt and what work has been done to them. both shocks have both been checked up and down and rebuilt by legacy ATV and the pics show nothing more then minor paint chips, but thats to be expected by 1 year old shocks.

DiceMan400
07-01-2002, 10:12 PM
Ohlins...... Why is it that no one talks about Ohlins? Every one follows everyone and wind up getting crap elkas...... Elkas are sooooooo over rated it aint even funny........ I am telling you strap on a set of Ohlin dule rates fully adjustable with piggy back rez and you will fall in love....... These shocks are no joke...... I have flat landed from 10 feet up and it was like landing on pillows...... I am sure they can take a much harder landing but I dont want to push it........ I am not a fan of flat landing but with the Ohlins it makes it ALOT les painful....... And thats all I have to say about that!!!!! Im sorry I just watched Forest Gump!!!!!!:D

Juggalo
07-01-2002, 10:19 PM
i've flat landed my works from ten feet and they were soft too..no big deal. i don't really have anything against ohlins tho except their butt ugly.

DiceMan400
07-01-2002, 10:27 PM
Hey jug that aint nice......:mad: What did my Ohlins ever do to you.......:D They could use a change of color but they are grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat........ Sorry just ate frosted flakes.....

Wired
07-02-2002, 08:46 AM
ive landed flat off a jump bout 15 feet high with my old LT's stock suspension :( wasnt good lol :blah well diceman i couldnt pass up on this deal and ive never owned a pair of aftermarket shocks so its like christmas morning waiting for these shocks to show up. :macho

Wired
07-02-2002, 08:52 AM
one more thing, someone had mentioned that elka's are actually the same thing as TCS? dont they make TCS anymore or whats the deal with that? ive rode a yzf426 with the long travel quad rates and it was smooooooth...... ive also rode a 265 powervalve with custom axis and didnt feel a difference? they both were set up by professionals though, ben jacksons dad helped with the elka shocks. and the main reason i got the TCS was because it was a damn good deal and people said with the style of riding i do stay away from Works... we'll see how i like these TCS, i'll love em i bet or i'll just put my brothers Works pro series shocks and and piss him off :devil

MrP
07-02-2002, 10:36 AM
DiceMan400- How do you know that Elka's are sooooooo over rated it aint even funny?

WiredCinqmars- I bent a set Works triple rate shocks about a year ago after only having them for three weeks. The shocks were in the shape of a J.

Wired
07-02-2002, 11:05 AM
hey MrP i figured i'd get something a little better then Works for the riding i do, oh and by the way we love them housers you sold us. they did the trick. now we just have to wait for shocks then we can really test them out. so far we've noticed a night and day difference in cornering and handling.

trx400ex
07-02-2002, 11:45 AM
ohlins arent up to axis PEP and elka,tcs standards

MrP
07-02-2002, 03:00 PM
Wired- Glad you like them.

trx400ex- How are the Ohlins not up to standard to the other shocks you listed?

trx400ex
07-02-2002, 06:43 PM
i have never riden a 400 with ohlins, only a banshee,,but everyone i have talked too says they are better than stock, but just dont have the same performance as the "big 4"... , maybe i had a bad pair...... just dont see how ya could say elkas arent as good as ohlins..

Nausty
07-03-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by DiceMan400
and wind up getting crap elkas...... Elkas are sooooooo over rated it aint even funny........

Can you explain why elka's are "crap". The only bad thing I had with mine was the seal was defected on the rear shock rebuild I got and they took care of it right away. I absolutely love my elka's and they soak up everthing with ease and only bottems on the WORST of jumps and I could cure that easy because its only on the rear because i'm running a lot of preload and am to lazy to adjust it but thats my fault and still it corners way better, I jump practically anything I see with in reason and like I said I can fly through the stuff that I use to barely be able to ride through in the first place.