PDA

View Full Version : Used z

TheBlasterMan
12-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Well im thinking of buying a stock z 400, its a 2003 and hes asking 3700, i beleive i could get 2800-3000 for it. What all should i look for when buying a used z400? Any common problems with them?

400exrider707
12-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TheBlasterMan
Well im thinking of buying a stock z 400, its a 2003 and hes asking 3700, i beleive i could get 2800-3000 for it. What all should i look for when buying a used z400? Any common problems with them?

Check over the frame and swingarm really good and expect cracks. Ask if he has replaced the frame, cause if he hasn't you will have to, or at least a gusset kit.

Flynbryan19
12-14-2005, 02:18 PM
The frames are weak near the front shock mounts on that year. Check for cracks. Also I hear the timing chains are an issue, but I wouldn't know how to tell ya how to check that.

In general you want to check everything over. Stand on the pegs and rock the quad side to side. Feel any play? Could be bad axle bearings or bad swingarm bearings. Get the front end of the ground. Grab ahold of the front wheels and try to wiggle them. Is there any play? If there is you'll need new bearings.

Check out the motor oil. Is it low? Is it real dirty looking? Also check the airfilter. Is it nasty? If it is, chance are good he was real slack on maintnance. If they didn't change the oil and clean the filter, think of how rough of shape the internals are.:eek2: Start it up and make sure its not burning oil(blue smoke) or coolant(white smoke with a sweet smell).

Thats about all I got. Anyone with more 03 Z experience chim in.....

KoolKwad400
12-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Frame/swingarm problems.
Give the bike a good look over. If it looks beat, it probably is. Stay away from bikes with too many aftermarket mods, check the tires and rear axle for bends.

Important.......ask for service records. A lack of records indicates a lack of care.

Jerry

quadracer12
12-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by KoolKwad400
Frame/swingarm problems.
Give the bike a good look over. If it looks beat, it probably is. Stay away from bikes with too many aftermarket mods, check the tires and rear axle for bends.

Important.......ask for service records. A lack of records indicates a lack of care.

Jerry

NO WAY that don't mean lack of care. it just means that the person done the work themselves. i am sure most of us on here do the work ourselves. not cause we cant afford it. just cause we love it.

4TraxRider
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Look at the front shock mounts and also the joint right under the gas tank. I took my plastic and tank off a month after i got it and the top of the frame on both sides just fell out. The plastic was holding it together. Look at the swingarm where the weld is. I've gone through 3 so far. Also look at the tabs where the sub frame attaches to the main frame. Mine broke off shortly after i got it. Look at the axle for bends. Some of the 03's had very weak axles. Check things like the brake pads. New pads indicate more care. If the pads are wore right down past the pad material, but the quad looks great, it gives you an idea of what his priorites are when working on his wheeler. Pull the dipstick and see what color the oils is. Feel the engine before you start it. If it's warm he might be trying to hide a cold starting problem, does it smoke? Idle eratically? Any noticalbe engine noise? Good luck.