PDA

View Full Version : Still no spark

TheFontMaster
12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
So today I finaly got the chance to put on the new Janssen super coil, and wire in the kill switch. It's a pro armor kill switch. I hooked up the coil, then one wire for the kill switch I hooked into the black and yellow wire, and the other to ground. Before I relaced the coil I used a multimeter, the CDI, stator, and wireing harness is good. I am cluless as to what to try next. The only thing I can think is that maybe I just need to re check my ground, but I don't think thats the problem.

JTRtrx250r
12-14-2005, 11:23 AM
make sure your plugs are in all the way, and double check the ground. What kill switch do you run... could it already be grounding out w/ a wire hooked up backwards?

also remember... they need like at least 600 rpms to acheive spark so be sure to kick it and not use your hand or you might not be getting enough revolution to produce spark

Good Luck w/ it!

TheFontMaster
12-14-2005, 01:18 PM
It's a pro armor kill switch. I have the kill switch ground hooked to the same place as the ground for the coil, I'll try putting one onto a different ground tomorow. I'll also try tighening down the plug. It is a new plug. What wire would be backwards, yea that was a stupid question, I have hooked to the coil the ground, a green wire, and the red wire that hooks to the yellow, and black wire.

JTRtrx250r
12-14-2005, 01:40 PM
no its not a stupid question, Ive seem many ppl hook it up to where its "on" and ppl wonder why they dont have spark:rolleyes: , the opposite of that would be when it dont do chit when its supposed to, if you went thru it... evidently yoiu missed something... your posting about

:confused:

hondardr4life
12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't know if you have already done this or not, but try putting on a newspark plug cap, or w/e its called, the thingey that attaces to the plug, lol. Maybe try a new spark plug wire, who know. I have heard of it being something as simple as that cap thing. Sorry, but I dont know the technical term for that, haha, it sounds dumb but I just really dont know. I always just call it "that thingey that attaches to the plug". I know..... I'm an idiot.:rolleyes:

JTRtrx250r
12-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
I don't know if you have already done this or not, but try putting on a newspark plug cap, or w/e its called, the thingey that attaces to the plug, lol. Maybe try a new spark plug wire, who know. I have heard of it being something as simple as that cap thing. Sorry, but I dont know the technical term for that, haha, it sounds dumb but I just really dont know. I always just call it "that thingey that attaches to the plug". I know..... I'm an idiot.:rolleyes: not at all man, its called the spark plug cap.

Hes right, check it and the wire to it...

87250rxrider
12-14-2005, 05:57 PM
i had a problem with no spark. i undid all connections, sprayed them all with WD-40 and reconnected them. after that i had spark, and my spark is very strong.

hondardr4life
12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
not at all man, its called the spark plug cap.

Hes right, check it and the wire to it...

Ok, thats good to know, I thought I was a retard, lol.

TX400ex-250r
12-14-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure mine was the balck wire w/ white stripe off of the cdi

TheFontMaster
12-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Ok I just tested the CDI again. I am getting power from all the connections except 1. That one is where the black/yellow wire that goes to the coil hooks into. So now I'm thinking that it's the CDI that is bad. I just want someone to back me up that it's the CDI thats bad before I go and drop god knows how much for a new CDI.

dunatic
01-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Besure and pick up some dialectic grease... Radio Shack or NAPA.

It helps make connections and keeps water out as well.

wilkin250r
01-03-2006, 09:28 AM
There is no method to test the CDI with an ordinary multi-meter. The operation of the CDI depends on input voltages and timing, your multi-meter can't reproduce those signals to check for proper operation. It's like trying to check your tire pressure with a soup spoon, it just doesn't have the capability to do it.

I believe the CDI is somewhere around $100. I just bought one for a 250X, and it was $88 from Service Honda.

The coil and the stator are very simple mechanisms. They are basically coils of wire, there's not much that CAN go wrong with them except a broken wire or bad connection. If the resistance test checks out good, then it's a pretty sure bet they are good.

It's starting to sound like your CDI is the problem. :ermm:

cdrookie
01-03-2006, 10:31 AM
$121.98 for a new CDI for an 89 R. i heard that smacking the CDI on the concrete floor a few times will bring it back to life for a while? my R has been sitting for 3-4 months now it has no spark. ran when parked, so let us know what u find out!:confused:

TheFontMaster
01-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Well I will be finaly ordering another CDI tonight hopefully. Where I "tested" the CDI was the part that goes to the coil, and I got no reading at all, even if it would only be pulses, I would imagine that I would have gotten some kind of reading.

wilkin250r
01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
It depends on what you were using to measure. A standard multi-meter won't give much of a reading, the pulses are too fast for it to respond, especially if it's a digital meter. An oscilloscope would give you a reading, but most people don't have those lying around the house.

cbennett86250r
01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
i have a brand new CDI.. if interested.. i have an 86, i thought it was my problem, turned out the pickup coil was bad.. so if interested.. i have a brand new from servicehonda cdi.. i ended up buying a complete new ignition system because i coudlnt figure out the problem, so now i have this new one left..

email me if your interested :D
cbennett@pipinternet.net