PDA

View Full Version : 06 air box on a 2004-2005? Look here....

Honda
12-14-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, A buddy and I have been wondering if you could run the 06' air box on the older 450R. We ordered a box and intake snorkel from our local dealer and...............

The Box bolts on to the subframe, and clears everything just fine (all three bolt holes line up). The problem is, the 2006 models air intake boot has a smaller mounting flange, and won't fit over the older models carb opening.

Also the boot is much longer. I believe if you had a CRF carb, then it would bolt right up as the CRF carb is smaller.

The Air Filter opening is substantually larger on the newer design, that is why we wanted to see if it would work, we was gonna use the larger 06' filter.

The Boot also has an extra air duct built into it for the CRF carb, not sure what it does.

I wish we had a CRF carb laying around, I would give the whole set-up a shot, but we don't. I think we are going to resale the air box and intake boot, so if any of you are running a CRF carb and want to give it a shot let me know.

By the way, the 04-05 air box lid fits perfect.

:chinese:

cinigen9
12-14-2005, 07:16 AM
could you take the boot off of the 04/05 and put it on the 06 box?

I want to try swapping an 06 swinger/linkage/shock to my 04, but I dont think the stock box will clear it.

Carson

Honda
12-14-2005, 01:51 PM
No the boots will not interchange.

We tried that also.

I think you should be O.K. with the box clearing, the 06' box is actually much larger. You could always run a lifter kit like the one offered by houser.........or who knows try it and see if it clears.

speedfreaksguy
12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing to mine but with the 06 carb. How expensive was the box and boot?

Honda
12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Box and boot run around $80.00

I can sale you the two parts for $65.00 shipped, they are brand new still have the wrappers for them.

Should work as long as you use the 06' carb, or similar CRF.

let me know

Thanks!