PDA

View Full Version : need help...look at this

400exrider0004
12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
I need help deciding between CFM's Aluminum Airbox, and Insane Performance's Aluminum Airbox. I am leaninng towards the CFM because there are no modifications involved except drilling holes in the subframe for one of the tabs so the airbox can attach. The Insane Performance airbox has to have drilling and wire modifications. I also learned that the CFM houses the voltage regulator and Insane Performance doesn't, if that makes a difference? Now heres that catch...the CFM airbox is 170.00 dollars while the Insane Performance airbox is 100.00 dollars. Even though I'd rather have a well built product that will last over something that is a waste to have. Have any of you had any experience with either of these companies? Also I would be getting the airbox with the lid, so I dont have to re-jet, or will I still have to re-jet? Currently I have still have the air box lid on. Here are the pictures and links to both....
http://www.cfmracing.com/trx400ex.html
http://www.insaneperformanceatv.com/400ex.html

Heres the CFM Airbox..

400exrider0004
12-13-2005, 11:08 PM
heres the Insane Performance Airbox...

ninis470
12-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
i've had this one. it came apart on me after about 9 months.

wboy62417
12-13-2005, 11:30 PM
You would probly have to rejet but i am not for sure you will just have to try it and find out If it was me(but im good at building stuff) i would make my own airbox you can get the stainless sheet metal at rural king for like 10 or 20 dollars and as long as make a pattern you want out of cardboard or something and cut out the metal a local welding shop would not charge all that much to weld it for you i would say to build one yourself would cost you no more than 40 to 60 dollars But that is just me i will do alot just to save a buck or two but if you dont know how to do this then i would go ahead and spend the money but i think you could get a pretty good idea on how to build one from looking at the pictures you have you would still have to rejet i think either way you go as long as there is more airflow in the box

400exrider0004
12-13-2005, 11:49 PM
[Quote] i've had this one. it came apart on me after about 9 months. [Quote]

Im glad to hear that someone has had experience with one of these. Now I know which one to get! :)

Thanks for your help

hondarider2006
12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004

I have the Insane airbox also, but mine does not have a lid....piece of **** imo. I raced 1 season with it...cracks all over and just....yeah get the other one.

400exrider707
12-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Also Im sure wire mods are going to be included on both airboxes. I dont believe that the stock battery cables are long enough to reach to the air box, so you will more than likely have to do that with the CFM one as well.

TRX520RIDER
12-14-2005, 03:57 PM
THe cfm looks like you will be getting more air flow and you know what they same more air to your motor and you have to have more power your motor is like a big vacume cleaner

400exrider0004
12-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all your help! I just ordered the CFM ALuminum Airbox w/lid about an hour ago. It should be here before Christmas. Thanks for all your help...I will keep you posted. I plan on doing a new thread on the installation and how I like it and if it's a good modification to have! I also should be recieving a Denton Rebuildable Steering Stabilizer in the next two weeks or so too. I will also keep you updated with that.

Thanks again!