PDA

View Full Version : wanna make a MX Quad

antnymccoart
12-13-2005, 09:01 PM
I got a 04 400 ex.... i'm lookin to start serious racing this next season outdoors.... now i'm racin in my district indoor series... i have not done any engine work to my quad an i'm racing against 450's indoor they just say everyone races everyone... lookin forward to summer so i can race other 400's

i know i need alot more power right now i just got a FMF full exhaust.... i have a new front sprocket 14 tooth i got it jetted an all the work down aty my quad dealer so i dunno the specs... but i'm ready to make my quad faster more bottom end to back up that sprocket.... i want to do some engine work an i duno what to get... i don't want to bore it out because nothign is wrong with it an i wanan keep it 400 cc legal.... i got all the other after market bull crap an stuff a arms and all that crap shocks... anyways.... help me out please.... give me some brands sites an stuff

also my friend was talkin about dommed pistons said i should get a domed one or somehtin haha i dunno i'm a moron when it comes to engines... tryin to gain some smarts on here i don wanna walk into my qquad place bein not knowing what i want they will rip me off

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

400ex till i die yamaha's suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

antnymccoart
12-13-2005, 09:02 PM
i want my quad to grow some hair on its balls....

wboy62417
12-13-2005, 11:48 PM
the only thing i can think of is a high compresion (stock sized) piston and rings with a hot cam and valve springs should run you no more than 300 dollars

bwamos
12-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by antnymccoart
also my friend was talkin about dommed pistons said i should get a domed one or somehtin haha i dunno i'm a moron when it comes to engines...

All pistons are domed to a certian extent. The height of the dome in relation to the shape of the head is what dictates the compression of the piston. The taller the dome the higher the compression.

Very over simplified, but that's the basic concept.

I agree with the above.. get a higher compression piston. ~11:1 for premium pump gas. 12:1+ for race fuel.

Also get a cam for you're riding situation.

Suspension should be your #1 priority, IMHO, though.

hondarider2006
12-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by bwamos Suspension should be your #1 priority

I will agree. Before you go and do any motor mods, I would go with suspenion. You can have all of the power in the world, but you have to be able to ride it. I would call up C&D and see what kind of deal you can get on some work shocks, or if you have the money invest in a good set of Elkas:) Trust me, your quad will be a WHOLE new ride;)

bwamos
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Well.. if I could read.. I would have noticed that he already has a-arms, shocks etc.. ;)

So, higher compression piston, cam, and look into headwork.

250xridamatt
12-14-2005, 01:42 PM
i don't want to bore it out because nothign is wrong with it an i wanan keep it 400 cc legal....

Outdoors you will be racing 450's as well, so unless you plan on running your 400ex in the stock class for the nationals (still against 450's) you can bore it out and not break any rules. For whatever class you run, the limit is 450cc. So I suggest you get a 426 kit. Or something similar if you already have suspension.

Where are you from and where are you racing indoors? The only indoor track I know of in Indiana is the motoplex, about 30 minutes from me. Where do you plan racing outdoors this coming season?

TRX520RIDER
12-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I need some help iam looking at beging racing mx i have right now a honda 450r 2005 my extras are as follows sparks racing pipe HRC power kit UNI air filter rev box razr mx tires tag bars blingstar bumper but not put on yet can any one hook me up with a set up with like carb settings for the pipe and gearing plz help got a cocky friend with a YFZ 450 2004 that i wanna smoke PLEASE HONDA RIDERS HELP!