PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem with steering

JhallettEX
06-28-2002, 08:00 AM
A few weeks ago when I was trail riding I hit a stump sticking out of the side of a trail and it bent my right tire completely around to a 90 degree angle while my other tire stayed straight. I backed it up turned it back straight and nothing seemed to be wrong. But now as you can see in the pick whick ever tire is to the inside of the turn is always turned more than the outside, is this normal, I never looked for it before and I am just a little worried that something is broke and I just cant see it. Thanks

Ex'r Marlin
06-28-2002, 08:17 AM
It sounds and looks ok to me. My only thoughts are the stops on the steering stem near the bottom of the shaft. Are they fully in tack? Also, with a blow like you described, I am surprized you did not bend a tie rod..... But that would not cause both sides to allow one tire to move more than the other side. If it happend in only one direction, then it would sound like a steering stem stop issue, bend tie rod, or what the tie rods mount to being bent.

I hope everything is alright with that awesome machine of yours!:cool:

phatswinn
06-28-2002, 08:20 AM
i just checked mine and it does that too, the company make it that way because the inside tire wont make the quad hi side but if the outside turning tire turns to much, your upside down, if i were you i'd check the tierods, the tie rod ends, where the tie rods go into the the tire and where they go into the steering colum bar thing (i cant remember the name at the time but i think its the steering stem)

yamaha1470
06-28-2002, 08:22 AM
The inside wheel on my quad turns a little more then the other one too

JhallettEX
06-28-2002, 08:37 AM
OK thanks for the help guys. Marlin when are you comin down here and how is the leg doin?

trx400ex
06-28-2002, 09:26 AM
im pretty sure mines like that too...i think its ok

Quadfather
06-28-2002, 07:32 PM
Mine does the same thing. I only noticed it after I installed new a-arms. I know everything is spot on. I've sat on the porch for hours with a tape measure and an angle finder. I'm glad to hear some others do it, as well.