PDA

View Full Version : Just got TRX250r - now what.

dsaint77
12-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Just picked up a Honda TRX250r, it is all original 1 owner bike - everything is stock.

What should I do to this machine for maintance. I dont know how well it was taken care of and all of the parts are original. Should I do a complete bearing change for a chassis ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CHASSIS-BEARINGS-SEALS-KIT-TRX-250R-X-300EX-400EX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43971QQitemZ45974 62076QQrdZ1 ) Seems like a good deal and would help for routine mainance. Then I was thinking that I would tighten down everything, cut out any hacker wiring (if any) and just straighten things up.

I was thinking of tearing down the bike and doing a complete engine resealing (would you change the crank bearing? even if they seem to have very little play?). Powder Coating the frame. I dont plan on racing the bike but I was wondering your thoughts on putting in Gussets to help strengthen the areas that are the weekest. Here an owner shows the weakest points and strengthens those areas. http://web.njit.edu/~ddr2/ebaypics/gussetKEY2.bmp

not really sure on any other things at this time. In the future I will do other modifications for power but right now I am concerened with getting this atv to a more reliable condition.

Adam

deathman53
12-13-2005, 07:10 PM
if the bearing and such are good, well don't change them, post pics, how stock is it??? stock pipe, carb, tires, is the tool box and tool in there, plastics all mint, headlight and everything there, if so, that bike could be worth some money, I've seen completly stock bikes sell for 5-6g's.

TheFontMaster
12-13-2005, 07:33 PM
A compleatley stock, all original un restored 250 sold on ebay over the summer for about 12 grand if I remember correctly. But this thing was MINT. If your 250r is really as stock as you say it is, unless the motor is having problems, I would just change the oil and leave it at that, as far as the motor goes. Just check the wheel, axle, and pivot bolt berrings for any play, and replace them if there any play in them. Since you mentioned powdercoating the frame, I'm just gonna take a gues that it has some wear on it, and maybe some rust. If you want to go get the frame powdercoated, with the quad being as stock as it is I wouldn't gusset it just to preserve the originality of it. Just have it stripped, and cracks fixed, the powdercoated. Do you have any pics of it?

dsaint77
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I hope that I got the pictures in it. Its not in mint shape, its far from it, the plastics are old and trail worn but everything is there, little bit of surface rust on the pipe and normal shine wear everywhere else. I basically want to keep it stock and just go through it and fix everything up. I have a friend that has brand new honda OEM stock plastic and other OEM parts for the 250r that I can get a hold of to replace worn and damaged stuff.

Adam

dsaint77
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
not sure how to add more than one pic per post : (

<~~ retard

TheFontMaster
12-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Sounds like you got a good plan. Get some stuff powdercaoted, and replace the plastic like you want to do and you will have a very nice rare quad.

250r4life
12-13-2005, 07:46 PM
if your engine is stock and runs good, i would not touch it unless you are wanting to upgrade. if its been taken good care of and you take good care of it, it'll run forever...

Tejas
12-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Check the rear bearings.

beerock
12-13-2005, 08:43 PM
do a search on here for gusseting....

8 AND 10 on that gys gusseting pic is not needed, that will cause the subframe to crack only the lower gusset on the vertical gusseting. heres a better idea of what needs gusseting...

JTRtrx250r
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Congrats Adam, and welcome to the R club!

250Renvy
12-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Hey that was a pretty good deal. If I were closer I would have bid on it.

Just thought I'd let you know so you are aware. If that seat cover is in good shape with no rips or tears, you should consider getting another seat and putting a new seat cover on it because those 87 seats with the fourtrax written on it are pretty rare. You wouldn't want to mess it up.

Another thing, is if you decide to powdercoat or paint it. PEEL OFF ALL OF THE WARNING DECALS AND PUT THEM ON SOMETHING YOU CAN SCAN THEN GET THEM REPRODUCED. YOU COULD SELL COPIES OR JUST USE THE REPRODUCTIONS TO DO A RESTORATION.

dsaint77
12-14-2005, 03:10 PM
nice I truely appreciate all of the advice. I have a KXF 250 tecate from when I was a teenager, and then I also had a banshee. Hopefully I will be buying a 2006 banshee just because its the last year... and i need something for the woman to ride!!!

dsaint77
12-19-2005, 06:43 PM
I had my brother pick up the 250R. When he got here I was totally suprised. The thing was nearly brand new. Plastics are a bit ratty, and need replacing but everything was stock. The cases on the motor didnt show any signs of leaks, or damage. The paint on the sides of the motor are still factory with no shinny spots.

So far the only things that are wrong are the brakes are shot, the headlight guard is broken on the left side but the rest is intact, the key switch has been cut, the right lower a arm has a bend it in, the left lower shock bushing is worn out, the toolbox is cracked, and the rear grabbar was replaced with something handmade.

here are some photo's with the plastic off.

dsaint77
12-19-2005, 06:44 PM
the other side