PDA

View Full Version : I;m gonna be expanding my stable of bikes

deathman53
12-13-2005, 06:19 PM
on top of all the bikes and parts I have, I guy I work with is selling me 2 yz490's, one runs mint, the other has something wrong with it, but he said it runs and has some kind of paddle tire????, heres the best part, I'm getting both of them for $200. I might be looking to trade one of both of them for a mint shape 350x. I'm gonna pick up the bikes on saturday, I'll post pics when I get them. I ridden one of the bikes about 2 years ago, and it was ALOT of bike, fast doesn't come close to decribing it, more like insane fast.

12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
dam ur lucky...u have any pics. of the bikes. if you dont buy em i will..i live in jersey too :)

deathman53
12-13-2005, 06:48 PM
not yet, gotta wait till I get them, and then I will figure out what I'm gonna do with them. I not sure if they are yz490 or 465, he says its 400 and the only one that comes to mind is a 490 in the years he is talking about. Either way, they are worth the money.

Rich250RRacer
12-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
not yet, gotta wait till I get them, and then I will figure out what I'm gonna do with them. I not sure if they are yz490 or 465, he says its 400 and the only one that comes to mind is a 490 in the years he is talking about. Either way, they are worth the money.

If I remember correctly, 81 was the last year for the 465, then 490's from 82 on. Both motors are nearly identical. Here's something to think about. The bottom end of a Tri-Z is the same as the YZ250's of that era, EXACT same motor mounts, with exception of the forward kick. Now your 465 and 490 motors share the same center cases as these YZ250's.... See where I'm going with this? Gotta Tri-Z sittin' around waiting for a motor?:macho :macho :eek: :eek: :D

deathman53
12-13-2005, 08:09 PM
I get where you are going with this, I'm a honda guy, but if I got a tri-z I would consider it, vibration would be a concern of mine, combined with the 490's were horrible to jet, so they say. my friend has a wr500 and its similar to yz490 and it vibes bad.

Rich250RRacer
12-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I get where you are going with this, I'm a honda guy, but if I got a tri-z I would consider it, vibration would be a concern of mine, combined with the 490's were horrible to jet, so they say. my friend has a wr500 and its similar to yz490 and it vibes bad.

Vibration isn't as much of a concern in a three-wheeler chassis as it is in a quad since, like a bike, there's a set of forks on the front which do absorb quite a bit. Actually it shouldn't be ANY worse than a bike. I've wanted to do this since I bought my Tri-Z in the late '80s, but I was never able to come up with a motor.