PDA

View Full Version : Raptor vs YFZ450

GatorOnARaptor
12-13-2005, 06:13 PM
I have an '03 Raptor 660. A friend of a friend says that his YFZ450 will smoke my Raptor. The 450 is stock, as is mine. Is this true? How do the two bikes compare? Also, let me know about any good riding areas in north florida or south georgia. I have been to croom and ocala national forest.

250r4life
12-13-2005, 07:49 PM
yah, its true, it'll smoke you if he knows how to ride it. possibly not in top speed but in acceleration, yep...

4punksdad
12-14-2005, 06:10 AM
I am not sure "smoke" is the correct term. Both bikes should be similar in a drag race. My raptor 700 has no problem with 450's

250r4life
12-14-2005, 03:26 PM
note: your raptor is considerably different from his raptor... i could not tell ya about the raptor 700, i've seen a few of them but none of the pansies were racing... ive been itching to race one and so far havent had the chance... however, i will this weekend as my buddy got one a couple weeks ago and we are heading down to the dunes on friday... i'll let you know.

cjkranz
12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
This pertains only to the dunes. I haven't seen the new 700R anywhere else. If the quads are both stock, the Raptor should take the YFZ450 by a bike length or two.

04EXdude
12-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Both stock, YES a YFZ will beat a Raptor 660. With a 700 they are much closer but I think a YFZ still takes it by a little.

4punksdad
12-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by 04EXdude
Both stock, YES a YFZ will beat a Raptor 660. With a 700 they are much closer but I think a YFZ still takes it by a little.

I can win a race against either machine............on either machine. They are so close that rider skill makes the difference. I would rather have a 450R honda if we were drag racing.

cjkranz
12-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Why a Honda? They aren't even a race on my Raptor or YFZ 450.

tater_kamik
12-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
I can win a race against either machine............on either machine. They are so close that rider skill makes the difference. I would rather have a 450R honda if we were drag racing.

agreed, they are that close. not sure about the 450r though, i hvaent had a chance to ride one, isnt that sad??

4punksdad
12-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by cjkranz
Why a Honda? They aren't even a race on my Raptor or YFZ 450.

I had no problem winning against anything with my 450R. I geared it down one tooth in the front & added turf tamers & I had good success dragging modded bikes. This is a pic of a race I think I lost. As you can see it was very close. We drag raced about 20 different bikes that day and I think I ended up 5th out of the crowd with a pretty much bone stock bike. Not too shabby

z400roosteR
12-19-2005, 10:38 AM
This pertains only to the dunes. I haven't seen the new 700R anywhere else. If the quads are both stock, the Raptor should take the YFZ450 by a bike length or two.
Your an idiot the raptor 660r as he posted to the original question will not beat a YFZ450 even Yamaha says that the people WHO MADE IT AND HAD PRO"S TEST THEM. a 700 may be a different outcome though.

250r4life
12-19-2005, 02:26 PM
if you'll re-read his sentance, he is talking about the 700 and says the dunes is the only place he has seen the 700

CHEVYZ
12-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Why a Honda? They aren't even a race on my Raptor or YFZ 450. Maybe it is because you just know how to ride.;) My buddys have both the yfz 450, and the 700 Raptor. All of the bikes, my 450r included, are pretty much close, really rider being the main factor. I can beat them, mostly because as I see it, my riding skills are greater. In fact, a group of 450r's came by, more modified than me, about what my buddy had in his, and both of us waxed the guys. Like said, rider is the biggest factor with these new, highly competitive bikes.

As far as the question on Raptor 660 VS. YFZ, the YFZ should win if he can ride. In a short race where the raptor cannot use its top-end as much of an advatage, I can beat them with my 400EX. Once we race for a while however, they catch up.... so, I would expect a YFZ with much more top-end to be able to beat one. As with any race, more than just the bike are factors, so you put a good rider on the Raptor, and it could quite possibly take a 450 down no problem.

cjkranz
12-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks for however read my original post correctly..... at the DUNES and the 700 Raptor.... That is what that post pertained to. As for a 660R raptor beating 450Rs at the Sand drags, unless they have motor work, they aren't even a race. Just to explain maybe why though, here is how my DUNE raptor is set up...

Airbox eliminator kit (by DuneTuned Performance) with an open K&N filter and dry charger
LRD Performance Jet kit
Full Yoshi exhaust
Geared down one tooth on the front sprocket
Skat Trak 9 Paddle Extremes
+4 rear axle
plus some bling-bling

Still running a stock motor. Nothing has been done to it internally.

Maybe it also has something to do with me riding for the past 19 years ;) , with 15 of them at the dunes:D

CHEVYZ
12-27-2005, 11:55 AM
I was talking about sand drags for the most part as well, if you are refering to me. However, I have been to the dunes, and I don't find that it quite like a race there. I could honestly see where the Raptor could possibly outshine alot of other bikes at the dunes with that torque, but then again, I will not have that opportunity to race one until this summer. I am however, going somewhere this upcoming weekend with a nice sand drag. I hope to race one there as well, plus a couple other bikes like these to see how I compare.

To your bike, it sounds like you have a NICE set-up going on there huh? I am dying to compare my bike to a good raptor like yours. The 700 is the only one that I have ever raced to keep up, or even come close. And that is sad because I have quite a few friends and relatives with them. I guess they are just crapped out LOL.:confused: :D

cjkranz
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
I lined my 660R up against a 700R at Waynoka last month, and I was Spanked!!:( . I then raced him on my YFZ 450 (with a very similar set-up to my Raptor) and again got beat. I noticed he was running a stock exhaust with the core pulled out. Not sure if he had pulled off the stock air box lid, but it ran very well. For the dunes, thats the bike I want next. As for the Raptor 660 shining elsewhere, I don't know if it does. It is too heavy and off balanced to race MX, a little harder to manover in trails compared to others, not enough HP (compared to banshees) for flat track, but they are fun in the sand!

CHEVYZ
12-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I hear you on that one.... about the Raptor. The 700 is much improved from the 660, at least IMO. I have run against two of the Raptor 700s, one stock, the other with the baffle out. I beat both of them, but it was only because of my acceleration. We ran from a rolling start also, top speeds were practically dead on, but I could pull slightly harder throughout the gears. Like I said though, you never know. Can't wait to try my chance with a few more of these bad boys to see what our outcome is...... :devil: Then again, I have added a few mods since then, so I doubt it will be the same. I am looking for a modified one.:D

xraptorriderx
12-28-2005, 03:09 PM
raptor vs. 450
450 will beat one in the long run, learned that the hard way. i was racing my freind down this road and lost control in fith gear and slamed right in to a telophone pole. i ruptered my spleen and kiddney and liver.

stroker97
01-01-2006, 05:22 PM
450 wins any day aginst any raptor

wolffie
01-02-2006, 05:04 PM
i think it really comes down to the driver (that is pretty much with anything) but also, you got to remember, an 03 yfz and say, and 06 yfz are two different machines! Not to say older yfzs are bad, but they can be beat if the driver isnt experienced. newer yfz from whati have heard in magazines are amazingly fast~! my buddy has an 03 yfz that has a full factory FMF system. he popped the lid and added a K@N. he raced my neighbor who has a 660 with just the baffles out, and his buddy with a WB slip on. they raced a 300ft drag, and the yfz slaughtered em both. then, they raced the distance of our fields (400 yards i believe) the yfz jetted by them in the begining, but the 660 with the WB came back and one by like 1-1.5 lenghts. all riders have raced before, and were about equal.

stroker97
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
if you retard the exhaust cam one tooth the raptor wont be able to beat it top end

dsandraptor
01-03-2006, 12:29 AM
hey stroker you think your 450 could beat my raptor?

250r4life
01-03-2006, 12:39 AM
well, first of all, if i recall right the yfz didnt come out till 04, so that is some trick that your friend has an 03... 2nd, i just returned from a 4 day trip to gordon's well sand dunes (part of glamis for those unfamiliar). i too have been curious to know if these new raptor 700s were as bad as everybody has been saying... well, i finally found out... this is my 6th dune trip this season, and finally i got a chance to race several of them- probably a good dozen or so... i had seen several of them in earlier trips, but none of the guys were ever racing... this time i got to race several of them, and even had 2 in my groups... i hate to tell ya, but the yfz still spanks the raptor, the 06s are no exceptions... my buddy has an 06 yfz, and he and i were smoking the 06 raptors ugly. i finally got to see the new suzuki 450s as well, and they too are slow... so, although i wouldnt trade my R for anything, if i was to ride something else, it definately would be a yfz...

250r4life
01-03-2006, 12:43 AM
and yes dsandraptor, i do think a yfz could beat your raptor... it is just plain ignorance to try to compare a drag only bike with any other bike... im sure i could set up a drag yfz that would smoke your raptor... and, bring your raptor up against my 250r for anything besides straight drags, and i will absolutely smoke you. by the way, everybody knows if you want to build a drag bike, you build a drag banshee, not a gay drag raptor... why did you waste so much money?

z400roosteR
01-03-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll take a seat with my popcorn for this fight!:devil:

dsandraptor
01-03-2006, 09:41 PM
hey 250 your a joke!!! i had a 250 and guess what they are not the best all around bike either . why dont you go to the 250 threads where other 250 riders will laugh at you and your bike!! you know you want a 4stroke but your wife wont let you get one or your just to stupid to see your bike is out of date for anything. its not a drag bike or mx . so why dont you sell your i must guess stock bike.?? thats right your wife wont let u! and i am geting a banshee real soon. and i waste money to roost lames like you!!!!!!:devil:

dsandraptor
01-03-2006, 09:43 PM
most my buddys on four strokes will think your anything but a fourstroke killer!!!!:eek:

250r4life
01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
i'm a joke? your grammar is as bout as good as my 7 year old nephew's, and i'm the joke... you dont make a whole lot of sense now do you? first you say how it is all about 4 strokes and a bunch of blah blah blah, and then you say you are getting a banshee real soon. well if your raptor was so bad and four strokes were so bad, then why are you going to get a banshee? exactly my point. my stock bike huh? my bike is not stock, i've just got better things to do to go and list every single mod my bike has. do i have near as much money into it as you do into yours? nope- and thats the funny thing cuz i would smoke you in anything but maybe a flat drag, and bring you and your 4 stroke buddies on. i was down at the dunes from thurdsay until sunday this past week, and spent several hours a day dragging at the hill, and i did not get beat by 1 raptor. in fact my buddy chris in my group has an 05 raptor with the extended a-arms, axles, shocks, 686 kit with port and polish running on straight race gas, and i didnt lose a race to him. he will pull me on the hill, yes, but i get out in front of him enough to where he never caught me. you can go on and on about your raptor, but the fact of the matter remains: my bike can be made a whole lot faster with a whole lot less work, with a whole lot smaller cc's... and i realize im a two stroke, so we will compare apples to apples: the 450 is faster than the raptor, and uses 200+cc's less to do it. you don't even have the best four stroke out there. if i was ever to buy a 4 stroke for myself, it would definately be a yfz450. and speaking of the wife, the raptor is a great bike, for HER, im thinking of getting HER one.

KOG
01-04-2006, 06:45 AM
dude howcan u say the new suzukis are slow just cause he was prob in 3rd gear putting around and u were in 5th gear pinned and u flew by him without him ing dont mean they are slow those things are gonna fly just wait and see

dsandraptor
01-04-2006, 09:30 AM
why would you buy your wife a raptor do you want her to kick your *** too!!!:devil:

250r4life
01-04-2006, 10:12 AM
i dont think they were just putting around, when they pull up next to me and a bunch of other guys who were racing and they rev their engine and try to get a jump on us... and then we would just smoke them... from what i have seen the suzuki 450s are dogs...

that was a clever comment about my wife smoking me if i got her a raptor- i'll give you that much... but my older brother has a raptor, and he won't even bohter racing me cuz it isnt even a race, i can get a horrible start, miss a gear several times, wait until after the whoops to hit 4th, and i'll still get to the top of the hill before him...

anyways, this post has gone astray... as far as drag bikes are concerned, it pretty much comes down to who has the most $, everybody knows that. however, the facts of the matter are in stock or somewhat stock form (putting a pipe, filter, etc... on each) the yfz is hands down quicker than the raptor, and the 06 version is no different. what is interesting is all the 01-05 raptors with the 686 kit are way way way faster than any of the 686 (700) 06 raptors... you havent sold me on the fuel injection yet...

MadDog56
01-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Pay no attention to dsandraptor, he's a joke to the raptor guys already.

jocolo
01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
YFZ Vs 416EX (http://www.yfzcentral.com/videos/YFZVS416EX.wmv)

YZF Vs RAPTOR (http://www.yfzcentral.com/videos/rapvsyfz.wmv)

250r4life
01-09-2006, 09:38 PM
put a half way decent rider on that 450 and see what happens

jocolo
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
3 TRY (http://www.yfzcentral.com/videos/YFZVSRaptor3.wmv)

YFZ Vs PREDATOR (http://www.yfzcentral.com/videos/predatorvsyfz.wmv)

MOD VS STOCK (http://www.yfzcentral.com/videos/modunmod.wmv)

4punksdad
01-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by stroker97
450 wins any day aginst any raptor

idiot

stroker97
01-22-2006, 06:21 PM
you want to race a 523 race ready yfz he'll take on any raptor

Originally posted by 4punksdad
idiot

4punksdad
01-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by stroker97
you want to race a 523 race ready yfz he'll take on any raptor

thats slightly different than your first offer............any 450 against any raptor. How about you bring a bone stock yfz450 and I'll bring my bone stock raptor and I'll show you how its done.

250r4life
01-23-2006, 10:08 AM
i'd take that challenge anyday. my riding buddy has an 06 yfz and neither one of us has yet to been beat by any stock raptor. in fact, another guy in our group has a 686 that has been done up right, and we'll get out in front of him and he'll pull us on the hill, but most of the time he can't catch us before the top. but bring any stock raptor 660 or 700, and i'd love to race you on my buddies yfz... stock for stock, piped for piped, whatever... the yfz will win... im an unbiased 3rd party, in my head hte 250r is still the greatest ever, so my opinion/facts are not skewed either way...

4punksdad
01-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i'd take that challenge anyday. my riding buddy has an 06 yfz and neither one of us has yet to been beat by any stock raptor. in fact, another guy in our group has a 686 that has been done up right, and we'll get out in front of him and he'll pull us on the hill, but most of the time he can't catch us before the top. but bring any stock raptor 660 or 700, and i'd love to race you on my buddies yfz... stock for stock, piped for piped, whatever... the yfz will win... im an unbiased 3rd party, in my head hte 250r is still the greatest ever, so my opinion/facts are not skewed either way...

I don't make many road trips...............bring it. Bring your skills with ya. Then we can switch bikes and I'll still beat ya...........I have been riding for 30 years.............this isn't a rookie on this end of the line

250r4life
02-01-2006, 10:25 AM
no, you may not be in your rookie year, and neither am i, but it sounds like you are a little closer to retirement, and i am in my prime. :devil: beleive me i would love to race you and most people on here- 99% of the people on here talk big, and probably 25% ride big, if that... i'm not neccesarily saying you're not included in that 25%, i'm just saying i am and that i would love to see everybody who talks big... if you're as good as rider as you SAY you are, then i'd bet whichever one of us is on the 450 will win...

4punksdad
02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
no, you may not be in your rookie year, and neither am i, but it sounds like you are a little closer to retirement, and i am in my prime. :devil: beleive me i would love to race you and most people on here- 99% of the people on here talk big, and probably 25% ride big, if that... i'm not neccesarily saying you're not included in that 25%, i'm just saying i am and that i would love to see everybody who talks big... if you're as good as rider as you SAY you are, then i'd bet whichever one of us is on the 450 will win...

the 450 should win..............but that new raptor is no big bore turd. I have raced a few 450's and had no problem winning. Probably due to experience more than bike superiority. As for being a good rider.........well, I don't ride in the back of the pack.

250r4life
02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
oh, i have no doubt that you can beat 450s on your raptor. there are piped 450s that i will beat by 4-5 bike lengths up the hill on my 250r... my bike isnt 4-5 lengths faster, they just suck at riding. my last trip at the dunes my bike broke, so i rode my buddies 05 raptor for the rest of the weekend, and it just has a yoshi pipe and a K&N and has been tuned correctly, and i didnt lose a race except for to my buddy on the 450. i was beating all the other raptors and 450s. now granted it wasnt a huge weekend so there werent tons and tons of people, or else i liekly woulda got smoked by good riders on better bikes. and some of the 450s were pulling me up the hill, but i got out far enough in front of them on the launch and threw the whoops that not 1 caught me.

bozz
02-07-2006, 05:29 PM
I have a 05 yfz 450 and a 04 raptor and three of my buddies have slightly modded raptors and i beat every one of them on my stock 05 450 ''i have done a few mods and now it's no contest i'v been riding for 19 years and they also have many years experience the gearing on the raptors is just to wide ratio period.

4punksdad
02-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by bozz
I have a 05 yfz 450 and a 04 raptor and three of my buddies have slightly modded raptors and i beat every one of them on my stock 05 450 ''i have done a few mods and now it's no contest i'v been riding for 19 years and they also have many years experience the gearing on the raptors is just to wide ratio period.

I have spanked 1st generation raptors with a few different smaller bikes........c-dale, trx450r, etc...........

but the new 700 raptor is a different story. With the right rider, don't discount the 700 raptor.

theirishdon
12-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey all, new to this forum, you all seem pretty knowledgeable...I just bought a 06 YFZ450 , and have only ridden around my neighborhood, I am 6-0 260 lbs and feel kinda big on it. Now I am wondering should I get the raptor 700? it's not that much bigger of a bike size wise. I have only been riding for a year and it was a Honda Rincon at that, so these sport bikes are new to me. Read lots of reviews and the 450 seems to be the overall favorite. Help a brother out!!

250r4life
12-20-2006, 12:04 AM
yah you should have gotten the 700...

however, since you already have the 450, if you get an aftermarket handle bar clamp and handlebars, you can get them where they sit a inch or two higher and this helps tons for feeling cramped..

or you can get a longer steering stem or an extender

4punksdad
12-20-2006, 05:13 AM
yah you should have gotten the 700...

however, since you already have the 450, if you get an aftermarket handle bar clamp and handlebars, you can get them where they sit a inch or two higher and this helps tons for feeling cramped..

or you can get a longer steering stem or an extender

he speaks the truth^^^^

maybe a thicker seat will help you feel a little farther from the pegs & bars ? The 450 has plenty of power, but the ergonomics do feel a tag cramped for me too. And I am not a big guy at all. I chose the 700 due to my affliction with small mans syndrome :D