PDA

View Full Version : trx 450 or crf 450 hybrid??

hondardr4life
12-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Ok, I am going to have around 6 grand to spend on a quad sometime within the next few months. SO i was wondering wether to spend it on a hybrid or a trx. I persoanlly am convinced on the crf, but I figure that I'll get a few more opinions. My reasoning for the crf is because I will get one with 250r geometry, so I will have 250r handling, and it will sit nice, but it will have strong 4 stroke power.

hondardr4life
12-13-2005, 06:13 PM
I see the trx has gotten some votes. Why is that?? would someone mind explaining..

R3Concepts
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
TRX for sure...Our Lonestar Hyrbid is bad $hit but its HUGE upkeep.

xx3003xrdrxx
12-13-2005, 07:23 PM
exactly what ive been trying to tell him , but he wont believe me that he will be working on it more than racing .......

Lonestar_R
12-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I thought you were buying a 250R....hmmm and you only had 3500 bucks....oh well

WhiteZee
12-13-2005, 10:02 PM
6k isnt going to get you anywhere if you want to build a nice hybrid.

ThumPIN_450R
12-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx
he will be working on it more than racing .......

That's true with almost all racing and especially in the my case with my TRX. I'm getting a CRF hybrid or a suzuki LT-R for my next bike simply becuase if I'm gonna have an unreliable bike it better be damn fast between blown motors.

hondardr4life
12-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
That's true with almost all racing and especially in the my case with my TRX. I'm getting a CRF hybrid or a suzuki LT-R for my next bike simply becuase if I'm gonna have an unreliable bike it better be damn fast between blown motors.

hahaha, there is my thought. I will still work on it less than a 2 stroke and it will be damn fast.

And lonestar, I was about 10 minutes away from calling and buying a 250r for 3500, and my dad came in and was like, well since that quad is so old, why dont you just wait till the end of the school year, and save all your money, and if your grades keep up, then I will give you however much more you need so that you can get one of those crf's or whatever they are called. So, my thinking is that I'd rather have a 4 than a 2 stroke, but i'd rather have a 250r than a 450r because it would have tons of suspension/ motor mods for the same price as a used 450r. But since I can get a crf, then why not, because you get all the mods, and 250r geometry. I can't see how theres a better quad out there.

hondardr4life
12-14-2005, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
6k isnt going to get you anywhere if you want to build a nice hybrid.

No, I dont want to buy one, I know they cost like 20 grand to build. I am going to buy a used one. Most of them go for around 6500 and 7000. So I figure that if I find one for 6500 I can offer him 6 cash and he will probablly take it.

xx3003xrdrxx
12-14-2005, 06:22 AM
you keep thinking that , if i was you i would get that R , you will never need the power of a crf or be able to controll it / maintain it at the age of 15 . Youre going to want to be riding and riding balls to the walls like usuall and you wont be able to because you will be paranoid you will havta rebuild it every 10 hours. Idk if you thought that out yet dave but thats pretty much 2 trips to a track, now youre saying your going to be working on that less than a 2 stroke ??????? i dont think so , not to mention there only about 3 times as much to rebuild than a 2 stroke. IMO , i think you should just get that R now while your dad is in the open state of mind that he is right now where as he usually shuts you down horribley when you ask for a new bike. Guess what im saying is dont be greedy and just want the best and the fastest because it just may come back to kick your *** later on. Settle with that 250r , actually i cant even say settle , that bike is one of the nicest 250r's i have ever seen ! I have no idea how you could turn down a quad like that after a year of asking for a new one and now your aloud and you say no i want a faster one!!!!!! YOULL never need or want that much power when your sittting on it wrenching and were loading up the trailer to go race for the weekend.

Lonestar_R
12-14-2005, 08:26 AM
The CRF is going to be as much or more maintence as a 250R.....and xx300 is right it is alot more to rebuild a CRF than a 2 stroke....I'll sell you mine with everything I have for 6500 bucks...thats everything......you can have it now if you want it.....its in pieces but I'll sell it....that with a brand new set of plastics.....If you don't like the power of the TRX why would you even consider it.....I like the power of my 250R way better than my 450....and if no one wants to pay for my 250 I won't sell it....it will sit and I'll may it a drag or TT bike....the TRX stock needs alot of work...believe me I would know.....I think top end my 450 has more....but the bottom end cannot be beat on the 250.....I am 10 times faster on my 250 than my 450 overall.....I think my 250 would give it a run if I take the reed spacer out and regear it....but it is all up to you....I don't think the CRF is worth the bother...and most guys won't sell one for 6000....cause that is like a 1/3 of what they have in them....I was going to build one until I couldn't use have of what I had....

Lonestar_R
12-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Hey XX300EX clean out your PM Box....I tried to send you a pm and its full

xx3003xrdrxx
12-14-2005, 09:32 AM
its cleared

R3Concepts
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
We bought our Hybrid for 7500, which was a smokin deal for what it is, and probably dumped another 5-800 in it, just getting valves the right way, and little things...To build ground up a Hyrbid will run between 20-25 grand..But they are fast *** bikes and they handle awesome but I just cant justify that over the cost of a TRX..I have around 18 in my TRX and it will eat the Hybrid ALIVE in every category known to man.

Lonestar_R
12-14-2005, 11:08 AM
I agree with R3...it gonna be hard to touch a hybrid for 6000

ckasper18
12-14-2005, 11:41 AM
I have both they are both fun to ride but the trx is aesier to ride

xx3003xrdrxx
12-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Well there , youve heard it from like 15 other people ! Im not an idiot and I am right in saying for the money you will have , you couldnt get a nice reliable one like you want, and you also couldnt afford to keep it running.

QuadRacer041
12-14-2005, 06:07 PM
i have a crf hybrid and have had NO reliablity issues with it at all. i logged alot of hours on it this season...went through about 65-70 gallons of race gas and all i had to do to it was a piston and ring kit mid way through the season.i dont think the crf has any more reliabilty issues then the trx, all race motors are going to have a problem sooner or later.
as far as handling goes the walsh and laeger chassis are the only hybrid chassis that will out handle a trx chassis. thats because they are the only companies that use aftermarket geometry..a lonestar, houser, etc chassis will handle no better then a trx with all the suspention mods.
if you want something that will be easy to get parts for then the trx is a better choice only because most companies stock those parts. alot of the hybrud bikes use 250r parts and sometimes can be harder to come by.
i dont care what anyone says i think my stock 05 crf motor will pull most miledly(sp?) mod'ed yfz's and trx's, by that i mean piston and cam kits. a full race motor is a differnt story.im a pretty big guy and my crf has no problem pulling me out of a turn to hit a decent size double.
i know ther main reason i built my crf is for the handling and the strength of the chassis.the aftermarket chassis are much stronger then the mild steel used in the stock chassis quads.
if your a younger guy who doesnt have alot of money i would say go with the trx not because its a better quad then a hyrid(because i dont really think it is) but because in stock for it is compentitive and useable. you can do a little at a time and not have to spend alot at once to get going.
hope that helps.good luck

QuadRacer041
12-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Well there , youve heard it from like 15 other people ! Im not an idiot and I am right in saying for the money you will have , you couldnt get a nice reliable one like you want, and you also couldnt afford to keep it running.

i think your right but for the wrong reason. many of my freinds have hybrids and non of use have a problem keeping ours running.if you build them correctly they will run fine.

hondardr4life
12-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Its about time somebody told me what I wanted to hear, lol. There is a VERY slim chance that I would ever buy a 450r, just because I would have to mod it, and I don't think theyre motors have enough guts, even with a cam and pipe. I mean, they are definetly fast, but not fast enough, lol. If I were to get a quad other than a crf hybrid it would be a 250r. What would you guys say to that instead of 450r vs crf, make it 250r vs crf. I still personally think the hybrid is still the way to go, but I still want some more opinions. Its always nice to know as much info as possible.

R3Concepts
12-14-2005, 06:23 PM
65-70 gallons of gas with no Ti intake changes...Thats a new one. Ours loves valves, about 20 hrs and they are done..Clean oil, filters used..Stainless ones now.

RedRacer44
12-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I know of 8 guys locally who all ran CRFs the past 2-3 years and switched to a TRX....they absolutely love the TRX over the CRF. All their CRFs were professionally built and maintained like no other. They still had problems with valves, piston/rings and other problems. They were all "Pro" and "A" class level riders too and were hard on stuff as far as riding them though. My TRXs have all been as fast or faster than every CRF around here also with just piston/cam/exhaust. My '06 just has pipe/cam and I pulled 2 CRFs uphill at Swan MX in Texas a month or so ago....i'm just saying that the power is there in the TRX, it just has to be released :)

They all admitted that the TRX power is mild compared to their CRFs and had to do some motor work but all of them agree it was worth it. But thats just a handful of riders.....if you've noticed over the last few years that a lot of the hybrid guys are switching to a production bike.....

As far as a 250R, heh, i've been down that road and wouldnt go down it again. I loved the bike but I prefer my production bike over it anyday. Easier to ride and maintain, and I'm much faster on the production bike than I ever was on my 250R.

The question i think you should ask yourself is how competitive of a racer are you planning on being? If its just going to be local races n' such.....i really think you'd be happier on a production bike. Thats just my opinion though......

I do agree with QuadRacer041 though, if they are built right (CRFs), they can be reliable.....all my friends had problems but not as often as I made it sound. They just had more problems than my TRX motor ever encountered.....

KRMit
12-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Wouldn't an '06 TRX with HRC be pretty close to as strong as the CRF? I mean, you're looking at the same bore, stroke, and cam. I know some other things may be a little different, but it should be pretty close right? That's my uneducated thinking anyway. With that being said, I'm not sure why the CRF would be more unreliable... except maybe for the tranny. My vote goes with the TRX.

QuadRacer041
12-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
I know of 8 guys locally who all ran CRFs the past 2-3 years and switched to a TRX....they absolutely love the TRX over the CRF. All their CRFs were professionally built and maintained like no other. They still had problems with valves, piston/rings and other problems. They were all "Pro" and "A" class level riders too and were hard on stuff as far as riding them though. My TRXs have all been as fast or faster than every CRF around here also with just piston/cam/exhaust. My '06 just has pipe/cam and I pulled 2 CRFs uphill at Swan MX in Texas a month or so ago....i'm just saying that the power is there in the TRX, it just has to be released :)

They all admitted that the TRX power is mild compared to their CRFs and had to do some motor work but all of them agree it was worth it. But thats just a handful of riders.....if you've noticed over the last few years that a lot of the hybrid guys are switching to a production bike.....

As far as a 250R, heh, i've been down that road and wouldnt go down it again. I loved the bike but I prefer my production bike over it anyday. Easier to ride and maintain, and I'm much faster on the production bike than I ever was on my 250R.

The question i think you should ask yourself is how competitive of a racer are you planning on being? If its just going to be local races n' such.....i really think you'd be happier on a production bike. Thats just my opinion though......

I do agree with QuadRacer041 though, if they are built right (CRFs), they can be reliable.....all my friends had problems but not as often as I made it sound. They just had more problems than my TRX motor ever encountered.....

red,
i think the reason alot of better class riders like local pro and A guys switch because it looks better for sponsor's when your on a production bike.i know a few faster guys who have switched also and they said the reason was because the sponsors.sponsors wanted them on the production bikes because that way they would have a chance to move up to the gnc pro class, because they couldnt ride the pro class on a hybrid.
maybe my freinds and I are just lucky but i havent even had to adjust my valves yet(im knocking on wood as i type).
i also have an 06 trx and still think my 05 crf will beat it, havent actually raced them against each other yet but........
but anyway i love my hybrid and would trade it for a trx anyday.thats just me though.
my 06 is going to be used for xc racing.

QuadRacer041
12-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
65-70 gallons of gas with no Ti intake changes...Thats a new one. Ours loves valves, about 20 hrs and they are done..Clean oil, filters used..Stainless ones now.

i dont want to jinx myself but, ive never touched my valves.what is Ti intake changes???

Lonestar_R
12-15-2005, 08:39 AM
I think he means Titanium Intake Valves.....a buddy has a CRF dirt bike and has never been rebuilt and won't even start now....he needs valves, Piston and rings....I have heard many times of them liking pistons, rings and valves.....I think you get more hours out of 2 stroke piston than a CRF...that is just my opinion

steve26
12-15-2005, 10:34 AM
I have experience with CRF hybrids, I have been riding one for 3 years now. They do handle and run extremely well. And the upkeep isn't as bad as some may say. If it is built well and no corners are cut, it will be as reliable as anything. (other than the Ti valves... if you buy a CRF hybrid make sure it has stainless valves or get them replaced ASAP). However, I have been riding a TRX for a month or so now, and I absolutely love it. And as of right now, all I have is a rear spring kit (works stadium kit) and new bars). It handles extremely well in stock form, and once I get my Walsh savior rear and walsh front end, I know it is going to outhandle my hybrid. Plus I love the look of the TRX's... but 250R/hybrid look is nice too. It would most likely come down to your preference. The hybrids are a lot different than a TRX, I have heard both ways of people saying that a TRX is nothing close to their old hybrids, and I have heard people who like the TRX hands down over a hybrid. If you buy a hybrid for 6-7K you could most likely find a built TRX for that cost or close. Either way you go you won't be disappointed.

RedRacer44
12-15-2005, 11:23 AM
I do agree with you on that point QuadRacer041, 2 of them switched for that exact reason. But in even doing it for that fact, they still like the TRX but thats just rider's preference and everyone is different :devil:

Steve makes a good point, just from the hybrids that i've seen sale for $6k-$7k...they werent all that nice. You can find a pretty nice "built" TRX for that price range now. I know of one right now, my buddy wants $6800 for his '04 TRX with Holz/Axis LT front end and rear end....plus most of the other "race goodies".

QuadRacer041
12-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
I do agree with you on that point QuadRacer041, 2 of them switched for that exact reason. But in even doing it for that fact, they still like the TRX but thats just rider's preference and everyone is different :devil:

Steve makes a good point, just from the hybrids that i've seen sale for $6k-$7k...they werent all that nice. You can find a pretty nice "built" TRX for that price range now. I know of one right now, my buddy wants $6800 for his '04 TRX with Holz/Axis LT front end and rear end....plus most of the other "race goodies".

yea i agree. if you find a hybrid for $6-7k its probably not in that great of shape.

steve, although im sure a wlash trx will handle great, i dont think it will out handle a walsh crf.the front end geo and the crf rear link on the wlash is much better then the trx.
it will take much less effort to go fast on the walsh chassis.

gimp419
12-15-2005, 03:39 PM
I absolutely love my hybrid. I think that is mainly because of the smooth power and the 250R geometry. Once you've ridden an R for so long it's hard to ride anything else. The hybrid will run circles around my 350PV on the MX track, but in a straight drag forget it! The R has too much of a traction issue on the start and on slick tracks.
The reason I wanted a hybrid is for the 250r geometry, crf rear linkage and smooth strong power. Plus it seemed like a better deal to buy a mint hybrid for around $8000 then to build a 450R which would have run over 10K. And I got a stonger frame to boot.
As far as reliability goes, I've been riding the wheels off of mine for about 4 months now and the only problem I've had is that the front sproket bolt backed out once. I'm gonna go through it in a few weeks and put a new piston in and check the valves out. It's a hell of a lot better than my R, it fell apart everytime I rode it, LOL.
But you're not gonna get a good hybrid for under 8k, I got lucky on mine, I might as well have stolen it.

12-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Dave u planned on getting a 250r n building it up to a 310.. that would be just as fast as the hybrid n probly more reliable

And the 2 stroke engine would be a lot easier to work on

Plus those CRF hybrids dont grow on trees like ****ing crab apples.. its not that easy to find them lol

12-16-2005, 06:47 AM
Dave u planned on getting a 250r n building it up to a 310.. that would be just as fast as the hybrid n probly more reliable

And the 2 stroke engine would be a lot easier to work on

Plus those CRF hybrids dont grow on trees like ****ing crab apples.. its not that easy to find them lol

xx3003xrdrxx
12-16-2005, 01:28 PM
yah dave , whats the quad gonna be next week !! lol i think you need a 2007 banshee with 27 inch mudlights!

12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
yah dave , whats the quad gonna be next week !! lol i think you need a 2007 banshee with 27 inch mudlights!

RJ already has that it wouldnt be cool to get the same thing he has :devil:

prepracing
12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
No need to bother with building a hybrid with the 06' 450's now available :macho

thugpassion4lif
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
No need to bother with building a hybrid with the 06' 450's now available :macho

dude, just make it easy on yourself, get an 06 do all the suspension pipe cam. so thats (w/e you can get an 06 for) + approx $5k to get it competitively race-ready. thats the route im going come spring- briefly> 06, elka, bugard, durablue, rossier, itp beadlock/tires, cam, hi-comp piston, mild P&P.

just my $.02

FHKracingZ
12-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Whats with everybody and the 2006's... get off the band wagon , there not that much faster... its not the engine its the carb.. Put a FCR carb on a 04/05 bet it will hang with a 06 same mods for same mods....

thugpassion4lif
12-17-2005, 12:40 AM
why not go 06? you might as well start with the bst platform possible esp for racing? plus its the newest thing out, an imporovement on an already awsome bike. look at the 86-87 and 88-89 250Rs, its easier to find prts for the latter year models and will more likely be the same with the 450Rs. Same deal w the raptors, they worked out the bugs (tranny is a huge bug, but regardless) in the 01 now the 02-current 660s are better.

i just say why put yourself behind the 8 ball to begin with? again, not saying the 04-05 isnt a great platform

prepracing
12-17-2005, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by thugpassion4lif
dude, just make it easy on yourself, get an 06 do all the suspension pipe cam. so thats (w/e you can get an 06 for) + approx $5k to get it competitively race-ready. thats the route im going come spring- briefly> 06, elka, bugard, durablue, rossier, itp beadlock/tires, cam, hi-comp piston, mild P&P.

just my $.02

yeah.... thats why I said no need for the hybrids since 06' 450's are available. Or did you just not understand that :confused: DUH.........

xx3003xrdrxx
12-17-2005, 07:46 AM
or why not just by a tricked out 250r like you said with some motor work and all the goods and then destroy the new 06's! ;)

12-17-2005, 08:08 AM
or why not just by a tricked out 250r like you said with some motor work and all the goods and then destroy the new 06's! ;)

U got a longg way to go Christopher :devil:

xx3003xrdrxx
12-17-2005, 08:14 AM
i bet i dont loose when we go to the track :devil: :devil: hehe just messin dan , that thing is a monster i wont deny it!

but then again , so is a 265r :blah: :devil: ppeace

12-17-2005, 09:59 AM
i bet i dont loose when we go to the track :devil: :devil: hehe just messin dan , that thing is a monster i wont deny it!

but then again , so is a 265r :blah: :devil: ppeace

U better let me ride that thing once its all built

Lonestar_R
12-17-2005, 10:08 AM
It still won't smoke mine

R3Concepts
12-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by thugpassion4lif

just my $.02

I find it funny that you put this and then go onto say "why not start with the best platform possible" and 90% of the parts you have mentioned are well....Crap.