PDA

View Full Version : fan not working

steve26
12-13-2005, 03:40 PM
My fan isn't working and my bike is over-heating (only when sitting at an idle for a few minutes). I have a pro-design kill switch, YZ style kill switch installed as my start button, all of my lights removed. Did I cut some wires that need to be there still? If so which ones? Any info would be appreciated.

By the way, I spliced the pro-design kill switch with the stock kill switch wires.

steve26
12-13-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm sure someone on here has experienced this or knows what my problem is, a little help please... not a big deal now since it is below freezing but I don't want it over-heating in the summer heat.

KEVIN132
12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
i know it has to do with you getting rid of the bug ugly switches this is why mine is still on hopefully someone will answer so i can get rid of my switch combo also! you went yfz switch because its reverse right ,start rather than kill?:huh

12-13-2005, 07:15 PM
If you removed your key switch or cut the wires you find the harness for the key switch. There are 4 wires red, black, green and black with a white stripe. You need to splice the red and black wires together. That will make the fan and carb heater work again. Also if you put the lights on they will work.

steve26
12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
well I didn't remove my key, I still have the key, I just removed my stock starter/killswitch/light assembly. Do I need to find these wires and connect them together anyway? Also, we have a carb heater?

dirteater74
12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
If you don't need it on turn your bike off instead of letting it sit and idle. This will no doubt make your engine hot, even with it being watercooled there still needs to be air blowing across the motor to help keep it cool.

steve26
12-14-2005, 07:47 AM
I am fully aware of the fact that it needs airflow to cool. However, in the hot summer heat when racing or riding for more than 10 minutes, it is going to overheat if the fan isn't working. I know that it will overheat when idling, unless the fan was working. Which is why I would like someone to help me out and tell me why mine isn't working.

12-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I am not sure, but I think you somehow opened up the circuit. I know if you hook those wires together it will make your fan work. You can unplug the wire from the fan switch and ground it. It is in the thermostat housing. When the quad is running the fan should turn on. This test will make sure the fan is working.

duncan440ex
12-14-2005, 09:49 AM
actually in the summer when riding or racing the air blow across the radiator and engine keeps it cool, pro's don't even keep the fan on thier quads

dirteater74
12-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Relax "stevo" I was just trying to help out. On my bike I don't even have my fan on anymore and I never have any overheating issues unless I keep it running while not moving (i ride mostly dunes out in the hot desert heat). It doesn't matter if your fan is on all the time, your engine will still overheat if your bike is not moving while it's running.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/dirteater75/P1010241.jpg

KEVIN132
12-14-2005, 06:17 PM
im going to remove the key and wire like you said but, what about the light switch etc will this screw up the fan when its removed and wired like you said.

12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
No. I have all the switches off my quad. I cut the key switch off. I took the red and black wires and hooked them together. The other 2 wires you use for a kill switch.

KEVIN132
12-14-2005, 06:26 PM
so what do you use as a kill for your bike ?

steve26
12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
well see, I didn't cut my key switch off. I wired the aftermarket tether cord into my stock kill switch wires, and wired the YZ style kill switch as my start button into the stock starter wires. then the wires left from the lights I just taped up. Do these need to be connected or something possibly?

12-14-2005, 07:41 PM
They might I'm not sure. Are they black & red?

steve26
12-15-2005, 09:18 AM
no, they arent red and black, I believe one is yellow with a green stripe and the other I think is brown or something.

anyone else know? I need help