PDA

View Full Version : removing rear hubs on a honda

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
what the hell did you guys use to remove them?? we dont have a socket big enough to get around it, and our tool for takin the studs off the wheels on our cars wont fit it either. what do i do?? and what did you use to get the axle nut off?

400exrider707
12-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
what the hell did you guys use to remove them?? we dont have a socket big enough to get around it, and our tool for takin the studs off the wheels on our cars wont fit it either. what do i do?? and what did you use to get the axle nut off?

90% of the time they loosen themselves up, and they are a pain in the rear to keep tight. If not I just use an impact.

bwamos
12-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I just used a big *** socket on a 1/2" socket wrench w/ a 9" extension. ;)

I cant remember exactly.. but I beleive it's a 19mm.

Remove the cotter pin. You can probably pull the pin out.. smack it a few times with a rubber mallet to break the threads loose, then back it off with a crescent wrench.

Don't hit it with a hard hammer, the material is very mild and it will crush.

12-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
I just used a big *** socket on a 1/2" socket wrench.

I cant remember exactly.. but I beleive it's a 19mm.

it can be american too, it doesent matter when you get into sizes that big. After I took mine off once I cant keep them tight... I put red locktite on the nut that helps.

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
its deff. not a 19mm. i used a 13/16" and that wasnt even it. the fronts werent like this. whats the deal?

JOEX
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Put some fresh grease on the splines before reassembling.

The 400ex nut is 27mm, don't know if the 300ex is the same.

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 03:51 PM
jesus that is big!

wheeltrax
12-13-2005, 03:53 PM
go to sears or somewhere and get the socket for it.. it will make things alot easier

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 03:56 PM
I think i'll just go to our sand and gravel shop here in town. my dad has their buisness and they'll hook us up. What did you guys do about the axle nut? just use a pipe wrench?

JOEX
12-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Just some of this......:muscle:.... :p

MoToX199
i just use a impact like what was pervisely stated before,i havent had any problems with the nuts coming loose though i just use a torque wrench and set it to the proper foot pounds that honda says is correct and tighten it down,and then just slide the cotter pin through it and your goos to go,also just through a lil grease on there before you reinstall it

JDiablo
The RPM end nuts are huge,lol

I use a 1 3/8 i think to take it off

bwamos
12-13-2005, 04:01 PM
its deff. not a 19mm. i used a 13/16" and that wasnt even it. the fronts werent like this. whats the deal?

19mm = 3/4"

But I beleive the above guy is correct now that I think about it.. it is somewhere much larger than that. The lug nuts are 17mm. It's got to be in the 25-35mm range.

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
it wasnt any of these sockets. I used the biggest one we had and it still didnt work. And im not good with our form of measurement.lol. im used to metric in chemistry. its easier anyway. But yea, i cant get any of our sockets to fit over it, so looks like im out of luck for a while.

bwamos
12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I think i'll just go to our sand and gravel shop here in town. my dad has their buisness and they'll hook us up. What did you guys do about the axle nut? just use a pipe wrench?

Axle nut, I use a 30" Crescent wrench and a 4ft steel pipe.. lol.

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 04:08 PM
dang. this dream of my new rear end is slowly becoming a nightmare.lol. So much for takin my g/f for a ride in the snow. Im gonna be workin on this thing for a while.

JOEX
12-13-2005, 04:13 PM
27mm = 1 1/16"

300ex_#387
12-13-2005, 04:13 PM

Yeah thats what we used. Mine always come loose though after taking it off the first time. IDK why but I've tightened it over and over and it always comes loose.

JOEX
12-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Yeah thats what we used. Mine always come loose though after taking it off the first time. IDK why but I've tightened it over and over and it always comes loose.
Mine kept coming loose until I put some grease on the splines.

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 04:15 PM
It says on bikebandit that the castle nut is 18mm. no possible way. I dont understand this and im startin to get pissed.

bwamos
12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Sorry I'm not much help.. I cant find anyt concrete info off hand. I know the threads are 18mm nominal dia. So we know the socket has to be larger than 25mm(1")

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Sorry I'm not much help.. I cant find anyt concrete info off hand. I know the threads are 18mm nominal dia. So we know the socket has to be larger than 25mm(1")
Your helpin alot. now i know what i hav to do for that stupid worthless stock axle nut. We bought a RAD axle nut off of ebay, will I have to do that with this one also?

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 04:22 PM
and Ive got another quick question. On the upper shock bolt mount, It wont loosen anymore. Do I just need to drill through the bolt? Im about to say to hell with it and take it to a freakin shop.

MoToX199
12-13-2005, 04:31 PM
alrite just checked my bros 400ex its a 1 1/4 socket fits on perfectly

MoToX199
12-13-2005, 04:33 PM
what do you mean by it was loosen no more? is the bolt it self that wont turn no more? plz let me know what is goin the way there i can try to help you

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 04:36 PM
well, you know how they are lock nuts? well. Ive got a socket on one side, then an Impact wrench on the other, and will go with the impact wrench and it will try and rip the socket out of my hand or the impact wrench wont spin. so i had my dad hold it, and i would try and turn it and it wouldnt work at all. its like it is locked up. But with about 2 full turns it would come off. and thanks for checkin what size that is.

kyleschonert
12-13-2005, 04:42 PM
HUBS ARE OFF!!!! Dad just got home and Apparently a while back he bought some bigger sockets at the Pawn Shop and we had the right size. Thanks for all the help with that guys. Now i just gotta get this stupid shock off and then the lock nut and I'll be in buisness.

MoToX199
12-13-2005, 04:45 PM
alrite np just figured i would help you out there,ok does the nut tighten back on ok? have you ever taken off your shocks before? if you did then maybe if cross threaded the nut on the bolt,which would cause this prob right now,if they havent been off then i would spray on some lubricate and that should help out alot,i have taken my shocks of alot of times,the 1st time is usally hard to do,instead of using a impact trying but the socket that you have on the impact and put iton a socket wrench,also put a reguar wrench the nut and try that,the first time i took my shocks off i though it would be easier and faster to use a impact and i was wrong,i swicted to to doing it by hand and it came off,let me know how it works out for you,if worse comes to worse you have to break the bolt,i just called my hondadealer and they said the bolt and nut costs $1.99 lol so i dont think it will set you back that much

MoToX199
12-13-2005, 04:46 PM
lol glad to here about the hubs

kyleschonert
12-14-2005, 03:20 PM
well, i got a big pipe wrench and cheater bar. and i cant get the axle nut off. still! ive got it in gear and puttin on the brakes and it still slides and wont lock up and let me loosen it. And im going up on it, like the bar is going towards the exhaust b/c it is reverse threaded...right? Once i get a new axle nut. (we ordered a rad one) will we have to do this for this one?

bwamos
12-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Inspect the threads. It will tell you wich way to go.

Remember you have to screw it on expose the c-clip, before you can take it off.

Have you removed the c-clip yet?

kyleschonert
12-14-2005, 03:29 PM
no. how do i do that, and do you have pictures?

bwamos
12-14-2005, 03:32 PM
For illustration.

1) Move part# 9 toward the rotor & rotor hub (5 & 4) so you can move the Hub Nut. Probably have to move about an inch.

2) Screw the hub nut (part#10) toward the carrier & rotor so you can expose and remove the c-clip (part# 13). The c-clip fits into a groove on the axle.

3) Now you can remove the Hub nut. But you really dont need to.. the whole assembly should just slide off now.

How the system works is that The hub nut pushes against the c-clip to push the threaded collar (part# 6) against the brake disk hub (4) and the bearing carrier to tighten everything down.

kyleschonert
12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
i think ive got it figured out. Should i have somebody hold #10 with a crescent wrench. then take a big pipe wrench and cheater bar and (if your standing on the right side of the quad looking at its rear end) turn #9 the right (upwards, towards the exhaust)? i think ive got it figured out but im not sure.

bwamos
12-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Cant remember wich way to turn it.. but you want to move it away from the Hub Nut. It's acting as a double nut so the hub nut won't back off while riding.

bwamos
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Look at the threads.

Bellow is an illustration is both possibilities.

Match the one up to what you see on the quad and turn that direction. (one is right handed the other is left handed threads.)

AtvMxRider
12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
jesus that is big!

I hear that alot:devil:

300ex_#387
12-14-2005, 04:31 PM
To loosen it you want to move it towars the front of the fourwheeler. Like if your looking at it from the right side you want to turn it clockwise. You shouldnt have to have somone hold #10 I dont think.

bwamos
12-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Aye, you should only need 1 wrench on there.

12-15-2005, 08:12 AM
I use 2 wrenches so I can get better leverage. with only one the rear tires turn.

bwamos
12-15-2005, 08:54 AM
I just wedge the brake pedal down w/ a spare screwdriver. ;)

12-15-2005, 09:07 AM
I just wedge the brake pedal down w/ a spare screwdriver. ;)

that would work too. considering that you arent taking the nut off to replace a smashed break hub. which would mean that you would have no rear brakes.

Fenix169motox
12-15-2005, 10:04 AM

i gotta tighten mine all the time, its a 1-1/16 " socket on a 1/2 dirve, but if your a metric kinda guy, i believe its a 24,26 or a 34 mm somethin like that make sure to put some locktight back on there so they dont end up like mine

bwamos
12-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Fenix169motox
i gotta tighten mine all the time, its a 1-1/16 " socket on a 1/2 dirve, but if your a metric kinda guy, i believe its a 24,26 or a 34 mm somethin like that make sure to put some locktight back on there so they dont end up like mine

Sounds like the concensus is 1-1/16". Thanks guys.

1.0625" x 25.4 = 27mm

Don't need LocTite just need to use the cotter pin on the castle nut. ;)

12-15-2005, 11:36 AM

Don't need LocTite just need to use the cotter pin on the castle nut. ;)

No, I think locktite is good on the hub nuts. They are so damn hard to get tight and lined up for the pin. that I just tighten them up with RED high strength locktite. Then put a smaller diameter pin that seems to meet up with the hole better. The smaller pin wont nessesaraly hold it on, but just acts as a saftey.

bwamos
12-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Never had a problem lining them up on mine. Just a couple taps with an air impact and it will line right up. ;) Guess it could be tough with a socket wrench.

I wouldn't feel safe w/o that cotter pin in there. LockTite is great.. but it's just not the same.

kyleschonert
12-15-2005, 03:44 PM
well. now there is another problem. i bet you guys are just loving hearing my problems. sorry for all the trouble. well, where can i get those 4 allen bolts on the swingarm that keep the bearing carrier from moving?? and. Where should i mount the rezzie on the shock? Any ideas at all? And, would it be easier just to heat up the axle nut, or just chop thing off?? im gettin really really mad

bwamos
12-15-2005, 04:22 PM
well. now there is another problem. i bet you guys are just loving hearing my problems. sorry for all the trouble. No problem.

well, where can i get those 4 allen bolts on the swingarm that keep the bearing carrier from moving??
Just grab them from the honda dealership. Probably only a buck each.

and. Where should i mount the rezzie on the shock? Any ideas at all?

You can mount it in several places. I have mine mounted on the lower subframe rail. Just make sure it wont hit anyhting under compression, and keep it away from the exhaust dont want it getting hot. ;) Some mount it on the vertical tube in front of and just above the swingarm pivot point. (on the stator/non-exhaust side).

And, would it be easier just to heat up the axle nut, or just chop thing off?? im gettin really really mad

It may be, if you're planning on replacing the axle nut, locknut, threadded collar, and the Axle. I garauntee you'll do damage to all of them.

kyleschonert
12-15-2005, 05:04 PM
ok. well, ive got an idea for all that other stuff. the rezzie and all that. And i am replacing everything but the collar i guess. Do you have to use this with an aftermarket axle?

bwamos
12-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Yes.

kyleschonert
12-15-2005, 07:07 PM
LOCK NUT IS LOOSE!!!!. but... (theres always a but, isnt there?) we got the c-clip out and the bigger locknut loose, and the fatter one thats not as big. BUt it wont come off of the axle. I thought it would slide right off but it wont. I dont understand:confused:

bwamos
12-16-2005, 08:16 AM
It should slide off.

You may have burred the edge of the c-clip location when you were cranking against it real tight.

Is it grabbing on the far edge of the c-clip groove? I'd imagine this is where the problem is. If so you probably jsut need to take a small flat file to it and get rid of the burred edge.

bwamos
12-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Rest assured putting it on is always much easier than getting it off.. lol.

kyleschonert
12-16-2005, 02:42 PM
ok. well. the axle is out!!. But what do i do to get the caliper holder off of the old swingarm? Ive loosened all the bolts on the swingarm and stuff. the two allen bolts, and that one on the underside of the swinger. and i cant get that or the bearing carrier out. im confused. i thought it would come right out. do i need to get a little rough with it?

theTman
12-16-2005, 03:11 PM
to get the carrier out you need to pry open the end of the swingarm just a little bit and it should come right out

12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
ok. well. the axle is out!!. But what do i do to get the caliper holder off of the old swingarm? Ive loosened all the bolts on the swingarm and stuff. the two allen bolts, and that one on the underside of the swinger. and i cant get that or the bearing carrier out. im confused. i thought it would come right out. do i need to get a little rough with it?

there are a cupple rubber seals in there. they hold it in suprizingly good. spray a little penetrating fluid in there to help lube up the seal, so hopefully you can get it out without tearing it.

kyleschonert
12-18-2005, 01:01 PM
ok. well im still working on that. but now i need to know where i can get the rubber piece that goes inbetween the bearing carrier and swingarm on my laeger's. the stock one is to wide to fit. should i just try calling them for it? and i got that clip out on the bearing carrier and sprayed a bunch of WD40 on it and it still wont come out. Im gettin tired of this stupid swingarm crap. Anything easier to do for it? And, on my PEPs rear shock, the rezzie line on it (where it connects to the shock body) seems like it is tightened up to high, and wont fit inbetween the frame where it needs to go. its hard to explain. but i will try and get a picture up.

icy1155
12-18-2005, 07:50 PM
you could always just spring for a new swing arm... that way u could get a shorter one if yer doin mx or a longer one if yer mainly draggin... not cheap tho

12-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by icy1155
you could always just spring for a new swing arm... that way u could get a shorter one if yer doin mx or a longer one if yer mainly draggin... not cheap tho

u dont want shorter for mx, but mabie for TT. but not mx.

DominicD400ex
06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
I know I'm about 4 years late on this thread, but i've got a question relevant to the topic.

I got my hub nut off, but i'm just not sure how to go about getting the stock hub off. I oiled it up with WD, and threads say not to hammer it. i can't budge it.

deathman53
06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
the thread is 18mm 1.5 pitch and the nut is 27mm, 250r/350x is 20mm 1.5 pitch and 27mm nut. I don't have a problem with them coming loose, grease on the spline and threads. Tighten it with a impact and then another turn until it can be cotter pinned with breaker bar and 4' pipe over it. Part of problem with it loosening might be that that spline and/or hub spline is worn. Replace what is worn

It says on bikebandit that the castle nut is 18mm. no possible way. I dont understand this and im startin to get pissed.

BakerRacing40
06-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by DominicD400ex
I know I'm about 4 years late on this thread, but i've got a question relevant to the topic.

I got my hub nut off, but i'm just not sure how to go about getting the stock hub off. I oiled it up with WD, and threads say not to hammer it. i can't budge it.

don't beat it ,but i've always just gave them a couple taps and it's off... just make sure it comes evenly..

kyleschonert
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Holy cow. Old thread. LOL. 330 is LONG gone, I don't even remember any of this. Didn't have near the problems on my LT-R. ;) Maybe because I'm 4 years older and wiser. haha

400exrider707
06-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Props for actually searching and using an exisiting thread. Most people would have just told you to search anyways! Try a plastic deadblow maybe? Maybe try putting a little heat to the hub first, and then even a 2x4 on it with a regular hammer might do the trick.