PDA

View Full Version : How to Stud tires

jsmith2232
12-13-2005, 03:11 PM
I just ordered a pair of cheng shin flat track tires to set up for ice. I am planning on using a standard self tapping hex head screw. I believe that the coarse thread would work best. Has anyone got any tips on thread type, number of studs in each tire, length of screws or anything else that i may be overlooking before i start running screws into the rubber. thanks.

Quadman250R
12-13-2005, 05:47 PM
im wondering the same exact thing. i aint gonna buy any other tires but im going to stud the ones i got on. i dont really know how many to put on it or whether to use my 20 in. slashers or my 22 in. flat top mud buster pattern tires which have had studs in them before. I got a 250R suzuki midly tuned.

BLACKeR
12-14-2005, 05:27 AM
couple tips. one dont use the self taping screws. the cutting head that makes them self taping will chew up the rubber and the screws wont hold as well. also it works good to over inflate you tires, so they are very hard. then put in the screws. when your done deflate the tires and the rubber will shrink up around the screws. magicracing.com has some pretty nice ice screws for a good price right now. i think its about $50 for 1000. which is pretty much what youll pay for normal screws from home depo. unless you want to put slime in your tires get screws that wont go all the way through the tire. some screws will pull out.

wheeltrax
12-14-2005, 12:45 PM
dont use the home depot/hardware store specials. buy an actual ice screw. they have a hardened head which digs in better and lasts longer. most ppl i know with the cheng shins stud every lug. my friend didnt have a problem with the screws getting dull or ripping out after a season (10 or so) races on the ice.

jsmith2232
12-14-2005, 03:26 PM
I was doing some looking... what do you guys think of these. http://svpaa.com/product.php?productid=35252
this is a link to atv ice screws.

jsmith2232
12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
I just put 1/2" long Kold Kutters in every other knob tonight and tested it out on the frozen road and they hook up awesome. so far no tear outs.

ride_red666
12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
can i stud the stock 400ex or 250ex tires? or is the rubber not hard enough

Honda#4
12-17-2005, 11:46 AM
thats what i would like to know cus i want to stud my tires up to would 1/2" sheet metal screws work or just buy atv screws and my lugs r less than a 1/4" tall so i dont know if that will work or not.