PDA

View Full Version : Rocks locking up my tires.

Snoopy450r
12-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Just wondering if anybody else is having problems with rocks jumping up between the front rim and brake caliper and locking up the tire. This has happened to me several times during a race, just wondering what I could do to keep rocks from getting in there so they dont lock up my tires anymore. Thanks.

bwamos
12-13-2005, 01:22 PM
If you ahve them off, put the rock guards back on. That's what they are there for. ;) I don't know why people take them off.

Punk'd
12-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Put the rock guards back on. That's what they are there for. ;) I don't know why people take them off.

Snoopy450r
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I have them on and rocks still get in there

1fastR
12-16-2005, 04:01 AM
I have had that happen once before with the gaurds on:mad:

bwamos
12-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Snoopy450r
I have them on and rocks still get in there

Odd.. don't know what to tell you. In the 8 years I've had my 300ex I have never once gotten a rock inside my front wheel. (that I know of, or has caused any problem)

Of course, I don't ride on gravel.

I don't know how you could even get a rock in there, unless you're cornering on deep gravel, or eating someone elses rocks. It would have to be while you're tailing someone in the race?

You dont have a reinforcing ring on the inside that wont let the rocks out do you? I doubt you do, since you couldnt even possibly have one without 4:1 offset rims, and even then it would be damn near impossible to get that wheel on.

12-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
You dont have a reinforcing ring on the inside that wont let the rocks out do you? I doubt you do, since you couldnt even possibly have one without 4:1 offset rims, and even then it would be damn near impossible to get that wheel on.

bwamos, what in the world are you talking about?
that makes no sense. a reinforcing ring installed that makes it impossible to put the wheels on? i do not understand this.

if the reinforcing ring prohibits the wheels from being installed, then i'd have to say "yes" you are correct. he's not running a reinforcing ring.

i must be misunderstanding what you are saying. because that's like saying, "do you have a small vacuum cleaner installed in your front wheels that sucks up rocks and spits them into your brake calipers? i doubt you do, since it would make it nearly impossible to mount your wheels".

CdaleXtreme
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Are you Running an OEM wheel? Or an aftermarket.

I know the Douglas Shamrocks with the large openings, often get rocks stick between the rotor and the wheel.

Try to go with a standard Center ITP. Similar to the Ones Tim Farr Has used, since the 80s.

bwamos
12-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by force
bwamos, what in the world are you talking about?
that makes no sense. a reinforcing ring installed that makes it impossible to put the wheels on? i do not understand this.

if the reinforcing ring prohibits the wheels from being installed, then i'd have to say "yes" you are correct. he's not running a reinforcing ring.

i must be misunderstanding what you are saying. because that's like saying, "do you have a small vacuum cleaner installed in your front wheels that sucks up rocks and spits them into your brake calipers? i doubt you do, since it would make it nearly impossible to mount your wheels".

Normally reinforced rims only have the reinforcing ring on the outside of the front wheel. It is not possible to mount one on the inside with with a 3:2 offset wheel, because the caliper will hit the ring. However with a 4:1 offset it is "possible" (depending on the ATV) but you have to finesse the wheel on to get around the brake caliper.

Make sense?

If he has a 4:1 offset with the ring on the inside.. it can, once the rock has found it's way in, trap the rock inside the rim to where it jsut keeps recycling until it gets trapped on the caliper. (like a washing maching).

This is why your normal reinforced rims (ITP Baha as an example) never had the ring on the inside of the fromt wheels. However if you had the ring welded onto a set of wheels yourself, someone could put one on the inside rim causing the rock problem.

Also as the other guy pointed out.. if he has a shamrock style w/ a ring on the outside.. if could keep the rock in there until it bounces through the hole and catches on the caliper.

Snoopy450r
12-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Well let me clarify for all you guys, no I am not running re-enforced rims, and yes I am running stock OEM rims, and I havent even seen it happen to anyone else on the track in my area. It has happened to me 5 times this year, am I just having bed luck with rocks or what. I think I should start watching out for the little rocks and run over the big ones instead. That way they wont get in my rim and bounce up in my caliper. What about hyper rims, do you think they will be any diffrent?

redrider9045
12-18-2005, 02:58 PM
do u have front wheel spacers?

WhiteZee
12-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy450r
Well let me clarify for all you guys, no I am not running re-enforced rims, and yes I am running stock OEM rims, and I havent even seen it happen to anyone else on the track in my area. It has happened to me 5 times this year, am I just having bed luck with rocks or what. I think I should start watching out for the little rocks and run over the big ones instead. That way they wont get in my rim and bounce up in my caliper. What about hyper rims, do you think they will be any diffrent?
i would think if you get 4:1 hiper rims it would help you a lot. it will put your caliper farther up into your rim for more protection.

i still think its weird that your having this problem.

12-19-2005, 09:55 AM
bwamos,
thank you for the clarification.
and thank you for realizing my vacuum cleaner comment was only in good fun.
your statement is much more clear to me now.

as far as the rocks go, i think it's just a fluke. don't worry about it.