PDA

View Full Version : Info on 250Rs?

Kahuna
12-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Alright, I'm really looking into a 86 250R, and I can probly get it but my dad said to get more info. Now, I want to know how good these were, etc etc.. What were the differences in the years? I need to know everything, even if a front fender bolt changed, I wanna know.. So, whats up with them? Thanks

doc-bones
12-13-2005, 09:58 AM
All were good machines. The factories are still trying to copy the geometry! I would recommend 88-89 years. Different swingarm and swingarm length, different tranny gear ratios, longer rod length. Just a few differences = better machine though!

wilkin250r
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
There were a LOT of changes between the years, but most of them were really small.

And more importantly, why do you need every little detail on the differences between the years? You're not looking at all of them, right now you're only looking at the 86.

Also, I'm not about to sit here and write a novel on which fender bolts changed. You want that info, YOU can go search for it, I'm not going to do your work for you.

However, I am willing to help on the major differences, and what to expect.

ANY year 250r is a gamble. They're old, and it's not always obvious if failure is right around the corner. From that standpoint, the year doesn't matter. An 89 can be abused and neglected just as easily as an 86. Just beware of that simple fact.

The 86 motor had a shorter connecting rod and a different piston. This means the piston wears out just a little quicker, but as long as you keep up with maintenance and rebuilds, it's not a problem. They make more oversized pistons for the 86.

As doc pointed out, different swingarm length on the 88-89. It's 1 inch shorter, and the a-arms are 1 inch foward. Basically, this moves the rider and weight 1 inch back, which gives a little more traction on the rear wheels and a better weight bias. However, these changes are really only going to be significant to a professional racer. Unless you plan on some serious racing, don't worry about it. It ain't gonna make no difference at all on the trails and dunes.

I have an 86, and I love it. There ain't nothing I could do on an 89 that I can't do on my 86.

Kahuna
12-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, I just wanted to get my point across. :) I've been searching. I just wanted to know if the 88-89 was better than the earlier years. I'm planning on racing, but not anything like a pro. Mostly just local MX Racing, trail and feild riding, and some flat track. Really just a mix of everything.

I heard something about the Pegs being moved, is that a lie or is it really anything special to worry about?

I've also seen that there is a latch, so you can make the rear fenders and seat and everything tilt up, is that something that is custom made, or can I buy that? Where could I get one if it is made?

What is the best pipe for overall power?

I will probably have more questions as time goes on, but for right now that is enough. Thanks for all the help!

P.S. I was going to put this in the other thread but I forgot about it and posted this.

wilkin250r
12-13-2005, 11:34 AM
The "best pipe" is a matter of opinion and riding style. Many would disagree, but I would suggest the FMF fatty for a good, overall pipe.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the pegs.

I'm sure you can buy the flip-up latch. I remember seeing it somewhere, but I can't remember where. If a quick search of the internet doesn't yeild anything, I'm sure a phone call to a major racing shop would easily yeild results.

Kahuna
12-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Ok, thank you very much!

This is what I've heard so far, and wondering if it was true.

The frames have a tendecy to rust from the inside out. 86's had stronger motors than previous years. 86-87 had different plastics and swingarm lengths than the 88-89. Really, any year you buy you couldn't go wrong.

And

new reed block, altered ignition curve, new front end geometry, different tires

Are the 400EX a-arms the same as the 250Rs? Thanks

wilkin250r
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
The 86 motors tend to have a little harder "hit", because of the short rod, they rev a little faster. But they are not a "stronger" motor.

Yes, different plastics. The 86-87 had the headlight on the handlebars, the 88-89 has it molded into the front plastic. Aftermarket plastics are the same for all years.

Yes, different swingarm lengths, and they mount a little different. Not interchangable.

You don't need a new ignition curve, the stock one is just fine for most types of riding. As is the front geometry, it's just fine. The 400EX arms are very similar to the 250r, but they have different bushings. They wouldn't just bolt right on.

It's very likely the reedblock has already been changed, most owners seem to change it along with the pipe.

If it does still have the stock tires, they DEFINITELY need to be changed. Not because the stock ones are bad, but because they would be 20 years old!

lee37vernon
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
the 400 ex a arms do fit straight on , you only need to put washers either side of the bushing , the benefit being that you can then adjust your caster angle for 'quicker' or 'slower' responsive steering by rearranging the washers . like say on flat track you may want more responsive steering than hammering the whoops ..

you can buy a arms that have this set up anyhow but the 400 ex ones lend themselves towards it ..

TheFontMaster
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
The foot pegs on the 86/87 mount up with 2 bolts, the 88/89 mount with 1 bolt. I don't know if the peg hieght was changed at all over the years.

For a pipe, I would look into a sparks racing pipe, and also LRD.

baker250r
12-14-2005, 03:20 PM
new sparks pipes u gotta bend over backwards for.... because they are made on a need to have basis... and id also reccomend for pipes... ESR, Paul Turner, or LRD