PDA

View Full Version : best aftermarket suspension.

PismoGuy400
06-27-2002, 10:43 PM
Elka, Works, TCS, Ohlins, Axis....

who makes the best aftermarket suspension.(not best performance overall, but which is the best for the money...)

piggy back or rezzy?..

whats the difference between the two..?

i ride some mx, dunes, and trails...i want double rate shocks, not triple.

thanks
pismoguy

ps...this is for a '02 400ex.

yamaha1470
06-27-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by PismoGuy400
Elka, Works, TCS, Ohlins, Axis....

who makes the best aftermarket suspension.(not best performance overall, but which is the best for the money...)

piggy back or rezzy?..

whats the difference between the two..?

i ride some mx, dunes, and trails...i want double rate shocks, not triple.

thanks
pismoguy

ps...this is for a '02 400ex.

There are going to be many debates about this topic.
First, best for the money are probably the works shocks. Unless you are doing crazy stuff the works should be fine.
Piggyback is when it is connected to the shock or you can get a hose to mount it somewhere else. I dont know the performance differences. Last, i would go with tripple rates.

06-27-2002, 11:12 PM
.(not best performance overall, but which is the best for the money...)

Interesting isnt it. I guess your asking for the best Value and its not going to be easy.

I had tried this afew months ago in a post titled shocking, but received more second hand info than valid comparisons and it was still a good thread worth checking out.

I should have my personal test under way but a certain "christian" has never produced the works triple rates that I need to get the test started, but hey he doesnt return phone calls either so what did I expect from such a loosely run operation.

The reason I am getting the works is that they are the "better than stock bargain" and I want to ride them for a while to get a real life opinion on them while I will be waiting for the Elkas or Pepz to be assembled.

I am sure that using the products is the only way to fairly evaluate the performance of each MFG's product. I plan on getting three brands instelled to run for a month and then I will really know the ansewer to the which is the best value question.

Also I will be posting the ones that are being changed out for the next pair for sale. They will be posted to this site before going anywherer else. And will be priced right also.

OutlawEX
06-27-2002, 11:55 PM
PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP PEP

Ok the best shocks are PEP ZPS in my opinion..My frend had works,and axis and sold the both..The works got to be not good enoguh so he up graded to axis which wasnt much of a gain becaus ehe blew his rear axis out in the woops after being 2 weks old,,SO no he has PEP ZPS which are Zero preload and has not had any problems

Pappy
06-28-2002, 06:22 AM
i think you get what you pay for. i chose the works because of price and i just dont need a high dollar shock. the work so much better than stock at speed and in the rough sections. if i was into big jumps or extended rough condition riding i would have bought axis...pep...etc. i did get the remote rezzies because i think the extra oil may help extend the time between rebuilds.....my 2 cents

PismoGuy400
06-28-2002, 03:22 PM
thanks guys...im gonna do some more reserch on this topic...

how much did you guys spend on your works, including tax.

thanks
pismoguy

Nausty
06-28-2002, 04:34 PM
I don't think anyone here really knows enough about how shocks work to know which brand is better and it also depends on who valves it.

400exredrider
06-28-2002, 11:50 PM
HEY GUYS I HAVE BOTH WORKS AND LONG TRAVEL AXIS...WELL WORKS ARE PRETTY DAMN GOOD SHOCKS FOR THE MONEY NICE AND SMOOTH.....WELL AXIS IS BETTER BUT THE WORKS ARE QUITE SIMILAR......THE AXIS ARE A LITTLE SMOOTHER AND HAVE MORE CONTROLL AND DONT LAND AS HARD AS THE WORKS BUT ALL IN ALL THERE BOTH GOOD SHOCKS..NEVER TRIED ELKAS.....PEP WORK DAMN GOOD BUT IM GONNA SAY CUSTOM AXIS ALL THE WAY:D :blah

Nausty
06-29-2002, 01:21 AM
no flames but umm 400exrider don't you think your signiture is a tad on the large side?? I also don't think you can judge between which shock is better out of elka,pep or axis by just riding them on somone elses quad because the valving could be a lot differant than the other guys which might resember yours and theres more to shocks than botteming resistance. Also if you ride a quad that has suspension for trail riding and you go to a mx track chances are your gonna think those shocks are crap when they bottem almost as much as stock.

Leo
06-29-2002, 05:24 AM
any shock is an improvement over stock..! I never realized just _how bad_ the front stockers were until I got my Elka's on..

It's like night and day...

I don't have any works / pep / axis to compare them to though, that could get a bit $$ :D

Leo

Razorback
06-29-2002, 06:17 AM
leo said it right. just get something and you'll be amazed. i would get whatever was in my price range and what is pleasing to the eye. anything from Works on up will do fine. i "would" get comp. adjustable though. it helps to be able to adjust on the fly for different terrain.

kabd69667
06-29-2002, 06:20 AM
400exrider-by your sig it seems like you race mx and it says that you have a sparks 465. Are you running the open class or somthing? Isn't the limit 440?

trx400ex
06-29-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by kabd69667
400exrider-by your sig it seems like you race mx and it says that you have a sparks 465. Are you running the open class or somthing? Isn't the limit 440?

thats exactly what i was thinking......no offense, but i wouldnt think a 400ex would do good in the open class

NJ300ex
06-29-2002, 08:16 AM
And also if you race why would you want headlights. Especially aftermarket ones, even dumber if you have a practice bike.

Arens doesn't even make a 400ex frame.

400exredrider
06-29-2002, 09:06 AM
ohh sorry guys about my sig never knew it was gonna be that long....ill delete all of it.....yeah i race two classes open with the 465 and the reason i have lights is cause sometime around here we go to TT races and well the race may start in the day but ends in night and there lights suck and these lights are real little....and most the time they arent on there just when i need them.. umm as far as the shocks go Nausty im just sayin from my experience i think the axis were the best not sayin there are cause thats just my 2cents.......sorry guys about the probs., i was just super bored lastnightso i made it bigger but i didnt know it was gonna be that long and my otherone was a little messed up..so sorry but ill take my sig down a little..... i hope i didnt make anyone confused or anything??:confused: or upset..if i did im sorry and im gonna get that damn Sig off...SORRY GUYS:(

trx400ex
06-29-2002, 11:19 AM
ah dont worry bout it, no big deal

PismoGuy400
06-29-2002, 11:20 AM
so basically any shock i get will drastically improve the ride over stock?...

thats all i am really looking for.

thanks guys.
pismoguy

Ex'r Marlin
06-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by PismoGuy400
so basically any shock i get will drastically improve the ride over stock?... Basically, yes. As for drastically, I can't answer that for you. For me, with both my 300 and 400, it greatly improved the ride!:cool: And I would think it would definetly be a noticeable advantage getting a shock set to your weight and style of riding.:macho

LilGuyOn400ex
06-29-2002, 11:29 PM
i think the new elka quadrates will be the best thats what im getting as soon as i get the money to buy the a-arms and shocks as a whole....

Mxbubs
07-01-2002, 01:31 PM
I got the elkas front quadruple rates, and a dual rate rear. I have ridden on virtually every shock out there, I have to say, the Elkas are hands down the best. Their customer service is 10 times that of Axis, and their quality is even better than Axis. Just call Axis to talk to a tech, then call Elka and speak to a tech, I promise you, you will be much happier after talking with more pleasant people. See for yourself,what have you got to lose?

DiceMan400
07-01-2002, 10:20 PM
I will have to say that for the riding I do Ohlins are the best...... I have riden bikes with elkas, works, and peps, but for me the Ohlins are king...... I have duel rates fully adjustable with piggyback res....... But if you get any shock that is fully adjustable you will be in good shape like everyone else said.....

400exRacerX
07-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Custom axis racing shocks for all the men out there.