PDA

View Full Version : Good christmas present?

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 12:11 AM
My dad wants to lift our canyon so I found a body lift kit to start it off, its a 3 inch kit. What do you guys think, get it?

I can install it I replace body mounts all the time at work, its just a pain in the ***..

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=PRA%2DPA%2D10153&N=4294908171+4294901275+4294846476&autoview=sku

This one has the 3 inch body and torsion bars turned up, tall as hell compared to stock.

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Heres stock..

derekhonda
12-13-2005, 01:03 AM
I still would pay the extra money for a susp. lift over body any day of the week.....

JR3
12-13-2005, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
I still would pay the extra money for a susp. lift over body any day of the week.....

MOFO
12-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda

I agree.

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 09:15 AM
suspension is 1,500 and I dont have 1,500 unless I sell my quad..

if you guys think a suspension is the way to go I'll sell it and that way I can get it over nighted and installed before he gets home..

derekhonda
12-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I think spending 1500 for your dad for christmas when you dont have a high paying job is rediculous. Why dont you get him something else? I got my dad serius satellite radio last year, he loved it. Now I have been buying him extra car kits and a home adapter. He can take his sirius from the house, to his car, to his work, back in his car, and even in his golf cart cause i hooked it up. He literally could listen to it 24 hours a day. Is your dad a music buff?

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 10:07 AM
eh for some people its not rediculos, I mean afterall he didnt bring me here and hes taken care of me all these years I might as well pay him back and hes not doing so good health wise so I want to cheer him up.

Honda4trax250x
12-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Body lifts can be dangerous.

underpowered
12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
i would never do a BL, Suspension is the only way to go if you lift one. It is true that IFS trucks are exspensive to lift, but if you plan on off roading any you will be glad that you went with it instead of a Body Lift. Body lifts are much easier to installas many IFS Suspension lifts require welding, cutting, and modifiaction of stock parts and are hard to put back to stock if you ever want to. On most kits you have to cut of the upper differential mouting brakcets, and weld new brackets on the frame for new lower control arms.

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 10:47 AM
we arent taking it off road yet its still a 2005 going to wait a couple years..

as far as why body lifts are bad whats your reasons though? the chevy s 10 zr2 comes with a 3 inch suspension and 2 inch body from the factory and tons of people use body lifts on top of a suspension lift.. All your doing it replacing the stock body mounts with higherones..

300exOH
12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
The only thing dangerous about the body lift is a higher roll center. If you are just looking for the "look" of a lifted truck it's not a bad way to go IMO. It is more involved than just body mounts though. I believe you have to relocate the radiator to keep it in line with the colling fan. I'm pretty sure it requires welding. Other than that it is a good mod for under $500. Plus it will allow you to run taller tires whick will give you some extra clearance for light offroading.

300exOH
12-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Forgot to add that the nerf bars will help cover the ugly frame after doing the body lift also. You may want to get gap guards for the rear wheel wells also or you will see a large gap between the bed and the frame.

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah its nothing major I dont see why everyones saying they are so terrible? I mean if this was a truck that we were going to take in trails etc I wouldnt consider a body lift unless I did suspension and body.

We had a bronco that had a 6 inch suspension and a 3 inch body on it and we didnt have any problems with it.

300exOH
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
Yeah its nothing major I dont see why everyones saying they are so terrible? I mean if this was a truck that we were going to take in trails etc I wouldnt consider a body lift unless I did suspension and body.

We had a bronco that had a 6 inch suspension and a 3 inch body on it and we didnt have any problems with it.

Yeah. I think they look really good as long as you hide the frame. You could always do the suspension lift later and have a really nice midsize offroader.:devil:

300exOH
12-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Also for a little more lift you could crank the torsion bars up a few turns now to level the truck up.

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
I was thinking about doing that today, Just gotta clean a spot in the garage to do it in.

300exOH
12-13-2005, 11:26 AM
I was thinking about doing that today, Just gotta clean a spot in the garage to do it in.

Here's a link to one with a 3" body, 2" torsion bar lift and 2" shackles with 33" tires. Just to give you an idea what it could look like. :devil: A set of 2" shackles and a torsion bar crank will give you almost as much lift as the 3" body lift. Plus it's cheap.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2199621

Mxjunkie
12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
That thing is badass! I really like that color they only had white and yellow when we got ours.

I'm going to have to look into this forsure now :D

300exOH
12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
That thing is badass! I really like that color they only had white and yellow when we got ours.

I'm going to have to look into this forsure now :D

I thought it was a sweet looking truck too. I kind of wanted the dark red too but I ended up with superior blue. I didn't have too many choices when I bought mine because of the other stuff I wanted. They had to ship mine from PA. If you want any other ideas check out www.canyonfans.com (colorado fans also-same site)

underpowered
12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Body Lifts are bad for a few reasons. They can collapse over time, resulting in dammage to the vehicle. My buddy had one collap on the rear corner of his cab causing the windshield to crack from the cab twisting. Body lifts can creat other proples as well. Misalignment of the readiator, and air intake, Shift linkage problems, and ohter problems with the alignement of misc. things on the vehicle. Body lifts are OK if thats your thing, but i would never use one. You can Get re-indexed torsion bar keys and some new rear springs good for 2-3" lift for about the smae as a BL and be better off in my opinion. My truck, 1992 GMC k1500 has about a 3" lift with only about $100 spent on new shocks with overload springs, rear blocks and U-bolts, and cranking the torsion bars.

stiffy
12-13-2005, 02:03 PM
That is cool your doing it for you dad. I would consider other options though with ailing health would he want to have a higher vehicle? the Sirius radio is a great Idea I have been bugging my husband all year to get it for me so I can listen to Howard. You could see if maybe there are some other things to get him from www.stylinconcepts.com or maybe some new rims and tires there are always gently used sets in my local paper for a good price.