PDA

View Full Version : 400ex wont go in reverse

Mxbubs
06-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Has anyone else had problems with getting their 400ex in Reverse? I cant seem to get mine to back up. Am I doing something wrong?:D

06-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Um ah i think to get it in reverse you have to get off and push.Funny man:D

VegasEx'r
06-28-2002, 01:30 AM
:huh

CranMan
06-28-2002, 04:23 AM
You're not shifting down hard enough. I think you have to almost stomp on the shift lever until you hear it POP into reverse....

Red Rooster
06-28-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by CranMan
You're not shifting down hard enough. I think you have to almost stomp on the shift lever until you hear it POP into reverse....

Yep I would try that first. Just make shure that your blinker fluid is topped off, and the mufeller berrings aren't siezed. If that doesn't work, you'll just have to push it-

EVERYWHERE you want to go!!!!!

:D :blah

phatswinn
06-28-2002, 10:00 AM
yea ive heard that reverse is hard to get into... kinda impossaible if ya ask me! but like red rooster said , definelty check your muffler bearings because id they are shot the reverse just wont work!

Blake24
06-28-2002, 10:07 AM
well i have my motor on a bearing and i can turn around.........so i just turn the motor the opposite direction and hook a chain to the front wheels and then reverse it when i wana go forward.......the total time is about 3 hours but i think its a great mod to do........

Doibugu2
06-28-2002, 10:13 AM
Take it back to the dealer and have them show you how to put it in reverse. If they can't figure out how to get it into reverse, then they are morons.

Ok, for real though, the owners manuall does not tell you this, but if you do the right combination on the clutch, it will go into reverse.

1) Hold Clutch
2) Start Bike
3) Shift to 1st, then neutral, then 2nd then back to first.
***note you have to hit neutral on the first try, otherwise you have to start over.
4) Turn off bike, but you have to use kill switch not key (also you have to flip the kill switch to the right, it won't work if you flip it to the left. You'll have to start all over again

This is where it gets real though
5) Push Start the bike, you cant use the key or you'll have to start over again
6) Once you got it running, put it back in neutral and it will be in reverse.

Razorback
06-28-2002, 10:20 AM
lol :D that sounds like cheat codes for any ps2 game...

Punk13rym
06-28-2002, 10:36 AM
to properly get it into reverse you have to first take all of the winter air out of your tires and fill them up with spring air. (very important) you also have to fill up your bumper fluid not to much

BornOnFire
06-28-2002, 11:07 AM
It sounds to me like you have your tires backwards. Make sure you have the left tires on the left side of the bike and the right tires on the right side. You may want to try and put the rear tires on the front. That way they are going in the right direction for reverse!

nuttynewt
06-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Ha ha... check this out:

I did run into a weird situation the other day, (seriously). I stopped to look at a Blaster for sale near my house for one of my girlfriend's friends. This kid tells me that it runs great, and that he rebuilt the engine himself. He was a very chubby kid I'm guessing to be 13. Well, I've already decided at this time I'm not going to buy this quad, but he insists that I hear it run, so I stick around. He gets on it and fires it up after about 10-15 kicks and then tells me "I don't know what's wrong with it, but it will only go in reverse..." I start laughing, thinking Blasters don't even have reverse. Sure enough, though, this derelict puts it into 1st gear and it takes off backwards. Then he upshifts to 2nd and goes backwards even faster. I have no idea what in the **** is wrong with that thing, but I knew I didn't want any part of it. I should have bought it just to investigate. I bet the inside of that gearbox was very interesting.

TRX250R87
06-28-2002, 12:01 PM
2 strokes can run in reverse if the timing is screwed up enough.
ERIC

BS300ex5
06-28-2002, 12:08 PM
all of those mods take too long... jes plop your a** on the quad sitting backwards and u can go in reverse all you want to. then when u want to go forward jes flip around (faster than the 300's reverse !!! but what aint)

Jay300ex
06-28-2002, 12:48 PM
I think there is a pin in the head of most bikes up where the chain is in there, that if you dont put it back in it will ride reverse instead of forward.. haha

Jay

Stunz
06-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Replace the Muffler Bearings.
This is a common problem with Blasters as well.

OutlawEX
06-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Damn boy must be a retart,JOe Dirt