PDA

View Full Version : Are valves a issue on the TRX?

bullet3z
12-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Are valves a issue with the TRX450R? I am looking to get a 450 quad, either the YFZ or the TRX and I want to see if the valves are a issue like they are on the CRF dirt bikes. I would rather get the 06 in the TRX but would be happy with the 05 or 06 YFZ. In the end it may come down to purchase price.

ATC350X 85
12-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I have yet to have a burnt valve issue on my 04 trx 450r with over 100 hours on it, i have adjusted them twice because they were tightening up. The 04-05s are steel valves which offer more service life than a titanium valve like the crfs, but now in 06 I believe that the trx 450r has titanium valves which may become an issue like the crfs if they are not adjusted and checked regularly. The crfs were tightening up burning the valves i believe. I inspect my valves every 30 hours and adjusted accordingly, with a titanium valve that has been known to have issues i'd be in there every 15 hours to inspect them. Dont pay attention to the maintenance chart in the owners manual, mine says to inspect them every 200 hours! Over maintaining something never hurts. Routine maintenance goes along way.

bullet3z
12-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I just don't really want to deal with the valves at all. I would need someone to some me step by step how to check and reshim before I ever attempted doing it myself.

I know that on the CRF's they tend to need reshimed a lot more than the YZ and WR dirtbikes. Thats why I was asking.

Thanks for the info.

12-12-2005, 11:05 PM
i have well over 100 hours on my bike and have still noit had my valves service and she still runs good. I am however about to get a hotcam put in by my dealer which they said they would do for free when they reshimmed my valves for $75

Jersey450R
12-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by bullet3z
I just don't really want to deal with the valves at all.
Thanks for the info.

well maybe you should try a 300ex. or get some custom cast iron valve springs made. :p nah, i'm just kidding, get the service manual or watch someone do it first.

450robot
12-13-2005, 08:43 AM
the crfs had valve problems because they used a very light materiak for them for rev performance, but had alot of distortion issues

but the trx's are steel, and not one valve problem has ever been heard of

i have put mine through absolute hell, and still no problems, i have never even had to take the valve cover to check them yet

the 450rs, are incredibly reliable, just like any other honda quad

bullet3z
12-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Well I already went the 300ex path. I had that quad for about 10 years and I rode the crap out of that thing. It by far is one of the strongest little quads out there. I never had any major problems with it.

I would really need to watch someone do the valves before I ever tried it on my own. Like I said above, I like both quads "YZF and TRX" so it may just come down to the best deal.

RedRacer44
12-14-2005, 08:29 PM
I've had an '04 TRX and now on my '06....in my '04 I had to adjust my valves twice in 2 years with 13:1 piston and HotCam. No big deal really......as long as you keep a clean air filter and fresh oil, its not an issue.

ATC350X 85
12-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Its very simple to perform properly, i figured out a short cut for the exhaust valves which makes it even easier. Get a service manual if you plan on attempting it.

kbass24emtp
12-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I've had mine for two years now with the HRC kit, and have not had to adjust the valves yet.

raptor88
12-15-2005, 07:18 PM

Well dude, if you dont want to mess with anything, you are best off not to get a high performance race bike. Its the facts, when you spend 6,000 on a high performance bike, you are going to have to learn to do simple maintnence, like changing oil every 4 hours, adjust valves regularly, and the simple fact is is that its a factory race bike, made for high performance, and HIGH MAINTNENCE :devil: :devil: but for us that can deal with it its well worth it :devil: :devil: :D :D :D

If you are looking for a bike with low maintnence, and will run forever without anything done to it you might want to check out the 400's :eek: :eek:

raptor88
12-15-2005, 07:21 PM

Well dude, if you dont want to mess with anything, you are best off not to get a high performance race bike. Its the facts, when you spend 6,000 on a high performance bike, you are going to have to learn to do simple maintnence, like changing oil every 4 hours, adjust valves regularly, and the simple fact is is that its a factory race bike, made for high performance, and HIGH MAINTNENCE :devil: :devil: but for us that can deal with it its worth it :devil: :devil: :D :D :D

If you are looking for a bike with low maintnence, and will run forever without anything done to it you might want to check out the 400's :eek: :eek:

12-15-2005, 08:11 PM
i've read the 06 has titanium intake and stainless exhaust valves, is this the same on my 04 ? or is it not true at all:ermm:

cals400ex
12-15-2005, 11:12 PM
the 06's are like the crf's. the 04-05's are steel.