PDA

View Full Version : Pipe for 2006 400ex

2006-400ex
12-12-2005, 03:21 PM
What's a nice pipe for a 400ex that isnt 2 loud or 2 expensive.. I am thinking HMF or LRD ?

atvrulz
12-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Buy a Dr. D. slip on.
At idle their about as loud as a stock pipe and at full rev, they are about 94-95 db. Do a search on this site about the Dr. D. Many people are happy with them. I am getting
One as soon as I can get enough cash together. HMF without the quiet core is about 101 db, with quiet core about 99 to 100. FMF is louder than hell also. HMF and FMF might get a slightly more power than Dr. D, but if you ride in public places, you might get complaints. For a queit pipe, Dr. D. is the way to go. It has won most of the shootouts in the magazines.
Good luck

04TRX400EX
12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Dr. D is the way to go for an all-around great pipe. As atvrulz said, at idle you can't tell much difference between it and a stock pipe except it is throatier sounding. At full throttle it is indeed louder than stock, but not irritating by any means. Compared to other top name pipes, it ranks up there in terms of power gains and performance, just with less noise. I have heard quads with White Brothers, FMF, Pro Circuit, etc. pipes on them and they are all significantly louder than mine. LRD is nice, but they're a little pricey and some people on here have expressed concerns as to the quality of the pipe. I'd say the only pipe with a real difference in power is a HMF, but even with quiet core, it's still louder. Get the Dr. D. You'll be happy with it. And don't get one just cause magazines say it is the best - there is a "best" pipe out there for everyone.

BTW, Parts Direct (http://www.gopartsdirect.com/atv/index.asp) has Dr. D's for $240 with free shipping.