PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the 250R..

Kahuna
12-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm looking into buying one and I have a few questions about them.

Is a resleeve better than boring?
How reliable are they, how long will a top-end last?
Whats a good ratio for them?
Is there anything I should look at before buying?
I have more but that is the basic ones. Thanks

TheFontMaster
12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
A resleeve is is not necicarily better than boring over. It is all depending on what you want to do with the cylnder, and the power you want out of it. If your just looking to freshen up the motor, then boring it over .010-.030 depending on how deep the scratches are will be perfect for you. If you want to get the power of a big bore without spending the money on a whole new top end then you can get the stock cylnder resleeved to I've heard of up to 300cc's. I think it is L.A. sleeve that does 300cc resleeves to the stock R clyinders. Also if your stock sleeve have been bored to the max, I belive .060 with a 87-89 piston, and .100 or .120 with the 86 piston, then if you want to keep that cylnder you will need a new stock sized sleeve put in.
The top ends are very reliable if they are well taken care of. I know there are a couple people here with R's that are still on thier factory bore and they are running strong. For the oil a good high quality 50:1 ratio oil would be the best, but it's all a matter of oppinion.

Eddiesanders250
12-13-2005, 07:07 PM
the max bore for 86 is .140 over which is 69.5mm. I forget the 87-89.