PDA

View Full Version : First MX race,any advice?

Winged Warrior
06-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Never raced MX before ,thier having a arena cross race at the local fair grounds arena tomarrow night and i thougt i would try it out.Ive been on a motocross track 1 time and that was on my old warrior,any advice?:confused:

EX 80
06-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Don't crash :D

Take it easy get the feel for it, ride defensively. Unless you don't care about having a safe ride.

ATVer14
06-27-2002, 08:30 PM
If they give you practice laps, take your first one or two really slow and try to spot any trouble spots on the track (i.e. big ruts you might get caught on, bumps that might pitch you sideways) also, check the lips on the jumps, try to find the flatest spot on the lip to go off of, because if you go off a crooked lip, you will fly and land crooked, causing you trouble. Also, watch some of the fast guys in other races, see what lines they're taking and what they're doing, chances are it will also help you turn faster lap times. One last thing, check all the bolts, chain tension, and all your fluids the night before, MX is he!! on quads, so it everything isn't working right, you might not make it through the race. Good luck and don't get hurt!
Kenny

OCCRA288
06-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Ride @ your own pace and finish the race. Don't go "Gung Ho!" and crash out. Arene cross tracks aren't the most Quad friendly, lots of U turns and not much of a run between the corners and jumps. Plus the track is really narrow so be real careful. Good luck

06-27-2002, 08:34 PM
and, take a leak before the racce, no soda, and takea vidocon (sp??)

Atomic83
06-27-2002, 08:54 PM
Good luck, i'm gonna have my first race next weekend, hopefully....

airheadedduner
06-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by OCCRA288
Ride @ your own pace and finish the race. Don't go "Gung Ho!" and crash out. Arene cross tracks aren't the most Quad friendly, lots of U turns and not much of a run between the corners and jumps. Plus the track is really narrow so be real careful. Good luck

I did that. Tried to ride to hard. Clipped the landing of a table top with the back tires and landed nose down in the flats. Throttle on landing with my piped big bore R and I cound still hear my wrist pop. Bearlly finished the moto. Tried to race the 2nd moto did nearly the same thing. That was 4 months ago, my wrist still bothers me. Remember to keep a firm, but loose grip so you don't get arm pump. Good luck.

OutlawEX
06-27-2002, 10:37 PM
ya hang on

Pappy
06-27-2002, 10:45 PM
and dont forget to enjoy yourself. let us know how you did. good luck!:D

400exRacerX
06-29-2002, 01:08 PM
Don't jump the gate! When the 2 on the card is up start your engine. When he flips to the 1 start revvin it. As soon as he starts to turn the card sideways hold her wide open with the clutch practically engaged. Now as soon as he turns the card sideways look at the gate and the gate only. As soon as the gate flinches let her rip!

PS: When you are holding it wide open and the clutch is almost engaged I like to hold the front brake in slightly.

Good Luck!

Winged Warrior
06-29-2002, 02:04 PM
I didnt Qualify for the main but i had a ball and i didnt come in last.In one qualifing heat there was a hang up in the first turn and i hit a raptor in the rear about wide open with all four locked up slidin.

Mity Mo
06-29-2002, 03:48 PM
Good job. As lond as you had fun, its all that matters in the beginning. You will get to race the main if you keep trying and remeber to relax and have fun. Mo:D

Crypted1
06-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Mo you should tell them your secreat for staying calm. singing. I tried it, it worked... I didn't like your song though. I sang Awake by godsmack! Mo like to sing the flintstone song I think.

Mity Mo
06-29-2002, 05:37 PM
Scott you gave away my best sevret of all. THE FLINSTONES song.I dont care how nervous you are singing that song while you are racing will calm you down and help your breathing. Believe it or Not!!!! Mo:eek:

airheadedduner
06-30-2002, 12:02 AM
I forgot about the song thing. I comepletly spaced it. It is one of the best tips I have ever received. One of my riden buddies used to be pro back when racing on the left coast was popular. He is 30-somethin now. He liked AC/DC, he used to sing them to keep his mind busy so he wouldn't grip the bars too tight. I used Step into the Sideshow-40 Below Summer, it works really well. That first time you come off the line and are chargin into the first corner side-by-side with 20-some other riders is a real thrill. Of my first experience that is what I remember the most. The Flintstones suck!!!! Jetsons rule!!!!!! J/K

ROGERS
06-30-2002, 03:13 PM
HERE IS A TIP I WISH I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN BEFORE MY FIRST RACE.
- GIVE IT ENOUGH GAS TO CLERAR THE DOUBLES-
GOING TOO SLOW IS SO HARD ON THE BODY WHEN YOU LAND ON THE UPSIDE OF THE SECOND JUMP!!!! BUT ONCE YOU GET THE NADS TO CLEAR YOUR FIRST ONE IT BECOMES SECOND NATURE. --AND A LOT LESS PAINFUL AT THE END OF THE RACE.

LATER
-JOSH