PDA

View Full Version : BEST OIL FOR 400ex HELP !! PLEASE

tahoe97
06-27-2002, 07:12 PM
What is the best type of oil to start using in my 400ex... it is relativley low miles and everything has a few mods but i want something that is better than the honda stuff and performs better and will make the engine last longer and maybe keep it cooler... just i guess a few of you guys to ring in and let me know the best type to use

i see in walmart all of these synthetics and stuff and some of those are bound to be able to keep the engine cooler and make it last longer and so on

thanks guys

ridefastrgetoff
06-27-2002, 07:27 PM
You say your motor has relatively low miles, what do you mean ? Is it close to being broke in ? Once it's broken in and only then, you should indeed check out the synthetics - would suggest NOT buying them at Walmart ! You get what you pay for as the saying goes. It's true that "most" oils are cheaper at Walmart but that doesn't mean they are the same. No matter what oil you choose to use, I strongly suggest Oil Analysis at least once a quarter; big oil companies frequently change their formulations without making it public knowledge and depending on your application, racing or hard riding, that change might not be good.

tahoe97
06-27-2002, 07:29 PM
yes my motor is good and broke in..
which synthethic would you suggest
what brand and weight and stuff

Ex'r Marlin
06-27-2002, 07:36 PM
Not everyone will agree with my choice, but it works great for me.... Mobil 1 15W50. I get it at my local auto parts store, Pep Boys.

Ridefastrgetoff.... Great info! Thanks.

ridefastrgetoff
06-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Tahoe, if you have email, I'll even send you a spec sheet.

ridefastrgetoff
06-27-2002, 08:06 PM
Plz let me know when you guys got the spec sheets. Thanks.

yamaha1470
06-27-2002, 08:45 PM
I also use mobil 1 15w50.

do a search there are like 30 threads on this and u will find a lot of info.

OutlawEX
06-27-2002, 10:28 PM
HEy man take this advise :USe KLotZ 20w50w this time of the year..I tryed every oil on the market and then i put klotz in and my clutch worked like it was new,didnt drap or nothing...

ridefastrgetoff
06-28-2002, 08:21 AM
Hey Outlaw, I won't disagree with you, but you must realize the climate in Arkansas is much different than in Ohio; it's already in the low to mid 90's here and in Eastern Oklahoma. I'm not sure if it's gotten hot there yet or not but the average temps here I'm sure are much higher than there. Klotz is a good oil but there's other "synthetics" out there that perform just as well.

OutlawEX
07-01-2002, 06:27 PM
Ya its high 90's here ,but my mechanic at my shop suggested Klotzs 20w-50w for temps ranging from 75 degrees and up aND LIKE I SAID ITS 90 degrees ++++ here in toledo,Ohio...But if its lower than 75 id use 10w30 or something to that mixture....

ridefastrgetoff
07-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey Outlaw, that's a pretty nice quad; that's one to be proud of !
FYI, the charts that all motorized vehicles show as a temp range for proper oils to be used is based on the characteristics of Petro Oils; synthetics outperform the petros on both the low/cold and high/hot end of the range. Petros freeze solid just below the freezing point ( synthetic 20w-50 stays fluid down to around 33 degrees below zero ); on the upper end the petros begin to degrade very quickly around 190 degrees and the ( synthetics protect up to around 220 degrees ). This is based on the fact that synthetics resist breakdown up to much higher temps than the petros. I wish you well with whatever you choose.

OutlawEX
07-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Damn FAst u got all technical,lol,Well my mechanic dude at the shop just told me to be running 20w50 in this weather,But like when i ran castrol 20w50 synthetic in the winter months during my bulding process and breaking in my clutch was draggin like s.h.i.t and slipping and everthing ...But in the warmer months i he said to be running 20w50 and cooler around 10w40-10w30..Ya man thanks for noticing my quad,those pics are really old ,i will get some new ones within this week,I will let u know and put you on my buddist thing....

400ex Magnum
07-03-2002, 06:21 AM
OutlawEX

Nice looking project quad. You should be proud of that project. Who is doing your motor work? Is the shop in NW Ohio? I have been running Mobil 1 15W50 in my quad since it was new and haven't had a bit of clutch trouble. I notice that in one of the pics you were riding at Zero Gravity. I didn't think they would let atvs on their track? Post more pics when you get it done.

ridefastrgetoff
07-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Sorry Outlaw for gettin so teched out on ya. I've found that folks like to hear facts instead of personal opinions.

OutlawEX
07-03-2002, 11:28 AM
PR racing is doing my motor work,I live in toledo,not to far from liberty center.....Zero Gravity dont allow quads there anymore ,they use to until some idiot got hurt and sued them and the owner tried limiting every lil thing that is costing money...zAnd the dude that got hurt rode d-bikes,but since quads cost alot more on insureance he cut that policy off....So wheredo u ride at,u ever go to TNI ,or anywhere...Me and a Few buds might be going to the Maumee state forest this weekend to check it out and ride....Let me know where u ride and we could meet up sometime....

400ex Magnum
07-03-2002, 11:34 AM
outlaw

I have heard that PR racing does good work. Let us know how they do for you. What for motor mods did they do for you?

I actually emailed zero gravity once and they said they couldn't allow quads because of insurance reasons. Guess I now know why. I generally ride at Wayne National Forest and I am heading up to Silver Lake on July 19-20. I live about 4 miles from Maumee State forest, but rarely ride there. It is about a waste of time. Maybe I am just spoiled from Wayne.

400ex Magnum
07-03-2002, 11:35 AM
outlaw

I have heard that PR racing does good work. Let us know how they do for you. What for motor mods did they do for you? I think you are safe running 20W50 oil in this weather we are having. Like living in the south!

I actually emailed zero gravity once and they said they couldn't allow quads because of insurance reasons. Guess I now know why. I generally ride at Wayne National Forest and I am heading up to Silver Lake on July 19-20. I live about 4 miles from Maumee State forest, but rarely ride there. It is about a waste of time. Maybe I am just spoiled from Wayne.

OutlawEX
07-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Pr did my porting and polishing,and i also buy all my parts and stuff from tehm...My motor kicks A.S.S and im at a 220 main,and that is a good thing....Most ppl wit ports should be around 190-195 and im at a 220 ,Lou at Pr said mine was one of a kind and he normally dont put as much time into mine as he did...But go there for all ur parts and say Jones sent ya

Mxbubs
07-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Hands down without a doubt, Racing Royal Purple Straight 40w. Its only $9.95 a quart.

Or regular Fully Synthetic Royal Purple Straight 40w for $5.00 a quart.

airheadedduner
07-12-2002, 12:31 AM
Go with a synthetic designed for street bikes, dirt bikes and, quads. Don't buy car oil and shove it down your bike and think it is fine, its not!!!!!!! A quads oil(except on the cannonball and some other dirt bikes) also runs through the clutch and tranny. Regular car oil is not doing your tranny or clutch any favors. It is not designed for it. Your clutch will have an easier pull and feal to it with the proper oil. It will last longer too. Spending the extra on a good oil is cheap insurence on your engines life expectancy.

dad400ex
07-12-2002, 03:41 AM
OutlawEX,I beleive I met you once at PR racing ?PR does excellent work !!And for the oil ,I use nothing but Klotz,It holds up far longer then any other brand that I used in the past.

ridefastrgetoff
07-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Maybe I've gone over the edge here but $ 10 per qt. for an oil that does not even meet the specs of your bike; even racing, synthetic oil, that's pretty ridiculous. Sorry dude, but gotta pass on that one.

airheadedduner
07-12-2002, 11:59 AM
$10 bucks a qrt is cheap. I gotta pay $35-$45 a gallon for some dumondae tech pre-mix. A gallon don't last long.

ridefastrgetoff
07-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Hi Quality, 4-Stroke, Wet-Clutch, Racing Oil should not cost more than $ 7 / qt. Even buying one qt. at a time, it's ONLY $ 6.72/qt. Not knocking your oil, but that's a lot. If anyone's interested in buying oil, email me; you can buy racing oil for less than $ 5.50 / qt. and that's shipped to your door-step ! For Pre-Mix Applications, it's $ 8.25 / qt. and that's also Racing Oil.

yamaha1470
07-12-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ridefastrgetoff
Hi Quality, 4-Stroke, Wet-Clutch, Racing Oil should not cost more than $ 7 / qt. Even buying one qt. at a time, it's ONLY $ 6.72/qt. If anyone's interested in buying oil, email me; you can buy racing oil for less than $ 5.50 / qt. and that's shipped to your door-step ! For Pre-Mix Applications, it's $ 8.25 / qt. and that's also Racing Oil.

what oil r u talkin abt? maybe ill by some

airheadedduner
07-12-2002, 06:40 PM
What brand pre-mix????

ridefastrgetoff
07-12-2002, 08:37 PM
I will return a response to you guys via email tomorrow morning from my office; gotta virus on my home email and don't want to spread it to you.

Nausty
07-13-2002, 12:58 AM
ridefastorgetoff put bluntly what type of oil should I run? I find it hard sifting through all this trying to find what I need and you seem to know your stuff. I was thinking klotz mx4 but that is 8 something a quart and how much longer would that last than the regular honda oil? Auviously if it lasts twice as long and I know its keeping my motor cooler and my engine will last longer. Everyone is naming off differant oils and weights and whatnot and i'm overwelmed. the highest temp I ride at is at around 90 degrees here in iowa because anything above 90 with 85%+ humidity is about where I cut the limit because its a hour and half drive

ridefastrgetoff
07-13-2002, 09:30 AM
Hope all of you got my email. I try to refrain from getting into personal opinion; most folks like sticking to the facts and ASTM test results. Just because I use a certain oil does not mean you will agree with me, so, I just give the test results and pricing so you can at the very least make an intelligent decision based on the facts. Have a Great Weekend !

Buzzsaw
07-13-2002, 03:29 PM
OutlawEX you only paid 500.00 for that 400

OutlawEX
07-14-2002, 11:13 PM
ya i only paid $500 smack a rues ,But not the way she sits now...She was in a severe coma and could not breathe so u nursed her and she rolls out now,lol....I also got new pics on the site right now of it>>check it out

DAD400ex,
How do u remember meeting me at PR if you did??WAs i talking about my EX or something??I also go to Milan so i might see u there also

07-20-2002, 07:27 PM
hey outlaw, this is shawn, the kid that rides out at tni al the time and lives by there, wut is your screen name for aol, i also use klotz 20w50 in this heat, i also like it cuz it smells like banana's

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-20-2002, 07:53 PM
I run Klotz 10w30 in mine..works fine.

BTW nacsracer199, are you the dude with the Red 400ex? I think I know who you are, I was the dude on the Blue/White Blaster......I got a Yellow 400ex now :D Anyways Brandons AOL name is OutlawEX, and mines RiPPiNiTuP7 if you ever want to talk.