PDA

View Full Version : which cam for me?

TacomaNC4X4
12-11-2005, 08:22 PM
i have a 05 400ex and i want more power. i dont want to loose ANY reliablity. i already have a full system Procircuit T4, 152main, and a whitebros filter. i plan to get a cam and a JE 10.8-1 piston.
my question is should i get a stage 1 or 2? i dont race mx or anything, i just race friends on long strights, i climb alot of steep sandy hills, i like to drag race. but most of the time im just trail riding and takin it easy in about 2ed gear in the woods. can i get the best of both worlds? i want more low-mid end..top would be nice too. what octane gas would i have to run? where could i get it if its race gas? if i have to run race gas, is doing all this WORTH driving to get it and paying the extra for it?

thanks

h400exrydr
12-11-2005, 08:32 PM
you could get the new stg2 hot cam, it is supposed to be the one in between. i dont think u have to use different gas for a cam, but u might have to rejet it.

DAVE14
12-11-2005, 09:31 PM
it sounds like you should get a stage 2 I have a stage 3 but the power is much more mid to top oriented but because I run 12.5 to 1 I didnt lose much bottom anyway & with my oversized rears & high gearing its damn fast ,but its also a 440 so if yore runnin a few mods with 20''s in back & 10.8 in the woods etc. youll probably love it maybe even try a14 tooth front sprocket if you didnt already & it should really go ,on pump gas & reliabilty will still be rock solid Ide love a woods thrasher with tons of low end & Ive done it & can still beat most people down low anyway but I love top speed also so pick your poison & enjoy !

2muchquad
12-11-2005, 10:15 PM
unfortunately you have only a couple choices,"all around" or "high speed"race.thats truely pathetic when looking for aftermarket cams thats the info the manufacturers throw at us.:rolleyes: with hot cams you have a couple different "stages" to choose from but its no better

TacomaNC4X4
12-12-2005, 09:14 PM
what do you mean its no better? if i get a stage 2 will i loose low end? if i get a stage 1 will i loose top end? i will have a JE 10.8 piston and electron carb installed all at the same time. will i still be able to take it easy in the woods when i want to?

TacomaNC4X4
12-12-2005, 09:22 PM
ok i just read in another post that the old stage 2 is now the new stage 3. so should i get a stage 3 if i want a stage 2? what does that make a new stage 1?

DAVE14
12-12-2005, 09:29 PM
the old stage 2 is now the 3 I run it & I find its much more peaky& higher rpm oriented than stock I dont know that youll lose any bottom but I heard stage 1 is better for low revvin torquey situations but your carb & comp, will help a lot Ide also try a 14 tooth or even a 13 it was a blast in the woods but too slow for me out in the open.

TacomaNC4X4
12-12-2005, 09:47 PM
so should i get the new stage 2 or 3?

400exrules
12-12-2005, 10:35 PM
just get a stage 1.... you wont lose topend

04TRX400EX
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
New Hot Cams:
Stage 1: designed for low to mid-range power gains
Stage 2: best all-around gains - low, mid, and top-end
Stage 3 (old stage 2): designed for mid to top-end performance.

It's not that you'll lose bottom or top end as compared to stock, it is just that the new cams are designed to give you a power gain where you want it. For technical stuff in low gears, the Stage 1 will give you more low-end and torque, where high-speed trails and racing will gain more from a Stage 3. I personally want a new Stage 2 cause I ride a variety of trails that incorporate tight sections and rocks, but also high speed straights where I could benefit from more top-end.

stc416rider
12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
so if i get an old stage 2 then will i lose bottom end

if i get a 13 tooth front will it be better

i might get a 426 kit w/ an old stage 2

TacomaNC4X4
12-13-2005, 09:13 PM
i think what he is saying is that no matter what cam you get you wont loose any power anywhere compared to stock. just gain where you want it. i think im gonna go with the new stage 2.