PDA

View Full Version : Proper Break In for 06' 450ER

Bad Brad777
12-11-2005, 07:21 PM
I've recently heard that it is good to break in the motor by riding the same way we plan to always ride. Rumor is that by riding your bike hard, the rings will seat more uniformly. This seriously counters what my dealer, and Honda in general, has recommended. Please share your opinions. Thanks

quad2xtreme
12-11-2005, 07:42 PM
You are going to get some links that show studies that pretty much prove that it will seat the rings better thus giving you higher compression figures; however, the studies fail to look at the bearings and longevity of the rest of the engine. This might be a great technique for a drag car with lots of sponsors to foot the cost of the rebuild but I don't plan on breaking mine in this way. I see the benefits of breaking it in according to Honda being greater than the small possible benefit of the rings seating a little better. Plus, once you have broken it in properly, you can always change the rings and run the pi$$ out of it.

Honda is only asking that you vary the engine speed, not startoff at full throttle, and don't rapidly accelerate for 15 miles.

400exrider707
12-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
You are going to get some links that show studies that pretty much prove that it will seat the rings better thus giving you higher compression figures; however, the studies fail to look at the bearings and longevity of the rest of the engine. This might be a great technique for a drag car with lots of sponsors to foot the cost of the rebuild but I don't plan on breaking mine in this way. I see the benefits of breaking it in according to Honda being greater than the small possible benefit of the rings seating a little better. Plus, once you have broken it in properly, you can always change the rings and run the pi$$ out of it.

Honda is only asking that you vary the engine speed, not startoff at full throttle, and don't rapidly accelerate for 15 miles.

I rebuilt my 400 over the winter and ran the piss out of it for break-in. Only way Ill do it from now on.

KOG
12-11-2005, 08:12 PM
haul balls and never look back thats what i did

QuadJunkies
12-11-2005, 09:59 PM
I went threw the heat cycles on mine

12-11-2005, 10:01 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

:)

QuadRacer041
12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme

are you serious....a bearing is a bearing. you dont need to break in a bearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brake it in hard.

12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Shift_400EX

:)
This is the way to do it.

fitethesystom
01-09-2006, 05:25 PM
cant you throw a friggin rod doing this????