View Full Version : braking wave rotor

wscotthougland
06-27-2002, 02:21 PM
Has anyone used the braking wave rotors? I was thinking about buying one to replace the rear rotor. It doesn't have any holes, so it might not wear the rear pads out as fast:confused:

What kind of brake pads will last the longest? I am tired of replaceing them after 2 or 3 races:mad:

Thanks Scott

400exRacerX
06-27-2002, 02:36 PM
STOCK PADS

yamaha1470
06-27-2002, 04:44 PM
I always use stock pads and stock oil filters. They are the highest quality.

Ex'r Marlin
06-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by wscotthougland
Has anyone used the braking wave rotors? I was thinking about buying one to replace the rear rotor. It doesn't have any holes, so it might not wear the rear pads out as fast:confused: Correct me if I am wrong, but the Braking "Wave" rotor has large openings.... Very similar to having holes. I went with the Braking solid rotor (without holes) to help with brake pad life and performance for my XC style of riding.

Good luck.

yamaha1470
06-27-2002, 08:47 PM
what performance differences are there between solid and holes?

rowlrag
06-27-2002, 08:54 PM
As far as I know the holes help get rid of heat kinda like cooling fins, where as a solid rotor holds heat longer, better in mud because the front part of the pad scrapes mud away, where a rotor with holes , holds dirt and mud in the holes acting like sand paper. Never used a wave rotor, but to me it doesn't seem like it would have as much total contact surface as a regular rotor.

12gofast
06-27-2002, 10:45 PM
DP Pro MX pads....811 for the 400ex....use them all the way around.

They are sintered pads

Ex'r Marlin
06-28-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by yamaha1470
what performance differences are there between solid and holes? I believe that with the holes not being there, you have more surface area braking for you (with or without dirt/mud in the holes).

Like Rowlrag states, the holes would hold the dirt and mud, which I feel does not help the braking operation/performance. I agree that the solid brake rotor would hold more heat than the one with holes, but with the kind of riding terrain I normally do, I would opt for the heat versus the dirt/mud in the holes.

My 2 cents....:)