PDA

View Full Version : Southern Honda Powersports in TN

la400ex
12-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have an experience with Southern Powersports in Chatanooga TN? http://www.southernhonda.com/default.asp They seem to have some great prices. $4583 for an O5' 450r. Anybody dealt with them? I am willing to make the drive if I can get one for that price. I sold my 250R around March so I am itching to ride again. Thanks, Anthony

dead eye 00
12-11-2005, 12:49 PM
I went about two weeks ago to buy some dirtbikes and figured it was a huge place with a nice showroom. when i got there it was a run down honda building with a bunch of desk and no showroom. I waited for an hour before anyone would help me .I ended up not buying anything from them because their customer service was so bad.

WhiteZee
12-11-2005, 12:55 PM
my brother and best friend both got their quads from them. they got great deals, no one around here could even come with in $700 of their prices. plus, you dont have to pay taxes there if you are from out of state.

they both told me the place is small and crowded, and have a new place being built with full showroom and everything.

i wouldnt let that stop you from getting a great deal on a quad.

12-11-2005, 04:28 PM
thats why they sell there atv's so cheap. low employee rate most likely, no showroom floor to upkeep because they keep them all in a wharehouse, and they also sell a TON of them. I think they are second in all of hondas sales

la400ex
12-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Yea, if I can get an 05 450R for less than 5000 OTD, im definitely gonna make the trip. I dont care if the showroom is small. I might give them a call tomorrow. I havent checked at the dealerships in my area but I know they wont have anything for near that price. I found a couple used 05's for around 5000 and I would much rather get a new one for that price.

450Redrider5
12-11-2005, 05:38 PM
So I could go there with $4583 i could get a brand new 05 450r?

tacundra
12-11-2005, 06:03 PM
I've bought 3 wheelers from them...yes the cust service sucks because they are selling quads faster than the employees can process the transactions....its a jungle in there.
I saved 1300 on my last 450r but i had to wait 2 hrs at the crappy shop for them to bring it up from the storage. I almost thought i had been ripped.....but the R is still kickin.

On another note...check out Ritchie Powersports(about an hour north of chattanooga)....just bought some from them and they have the same prices but it only took me 15 m inutes to complete the whole transaction.

la400ex
12-11-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure. Sounds too good to be true. Im gonna call them tomorrow. I will let you know what I find out.

Originally posted by 450Redrider5
So I could go there with $4583 i could get a brand new 05 450r?

la400ex
12-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks. I will check out Ritchie powersports. I wish I could find a place like that a little closer. Thats the third one with prices like that in TN. We don't have any huge dealers like that around here. I would be glad to drive to TN to save 1300 bucks.

Originally posted by tacundra
I've bought 3 wheelers from them...yes the cust service sucks because they are selling quads faster than the employees can process the transactions....its a jungle in there.
I saved 1300 on my last 450r but i had to wait 2 hrs at the crappy shop for them to bring it up from the storage. I almost thought i had been ripped.....but the R is still kickin.

On another note...check out Ritchie Powersports(about an hour north of chattanooga)....just bought some from them and they have the same prices but it only took me 15 m inutes to complete the whole transaction.

cominatcha
12-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Anyone know of any dealers closer to the west coast with prices like those?

12-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by cominatcha
Anyone know of any dealers closer to the west coast with prices like those? no west coast prices are higher

cominatcha
12-11-2005, 10:21 PM
I know, best I can find is 6800 out the door for an 06

tacundra
12-12-2005, 12:00 PM
yes the prices at these shops in TN are crazy....I just picked up a left over '05 at Ritchie Powersports for 4577 OUT THE DOOR!

I think it was the last one they had though.

ckasper18
12-12-2005, 02:52 PM
It dont matter how many the dealership sells there pricing is the same as all the other dealers big dealership or not they are loosing money on every sale cant keep the doors open that way and if there building a new shop prices will go up .
I personally like the dealership i deal with they are very helpful and know what they are talking about.I can bet you dont work for free.

12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
honda gives a payback to the dealers for sales. this dealership keeps all rebates and stuff like that too. its no joke, you can try to argue but I know 3 people personally who have gotten their honda bikes from these dealerships.

bullet3z
12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Honda dealers in Pa are listing the 05's for $4,699 so those prices don't sound to good to be true. Our dealers up here tend to charge more, thats why a lot of people go over the boarder into Ohio to buy. I would say those sound like reasonable prices down there and worth the trip.

la400ex
12-13-2005, 01:37 PM
I did some pricing in my area. The local honda dealer wants $5899 for an 05 before taxes and such. I am definitely going to be making a trip to TN pretty soon if I cant find a nice used one closer. I looked at a couple used one today. 5000 for the 05 and 4800 for the 04. Both stock. Just cant see myself paying that much for a used quad when I can get a new one for cheaper.

blackisback06
12-13-2005, 07:03 PM
ok heres the whole story bro, i personally just dealt with them and i still am, i bought a 06 450r from them and yes their customer service sucks, it took me a hour and a half just to talk to anyone and then 6 more hours to actually buy the 4wheeler, and the salesman had the nerve to make personal calls to his girlfriend right in the middle of us talking, i have never been treated so horrible in my entire life, not to mention i bought a dg bullet exhaust and some skidplates from them with the 4wheeler and here it is 4 weeks later i had to call them 5 times and no answer so i called customer service at honda headquarters to let them deal with it, i finally got a few things in the mail which were as follows... a front left fender, and a brushguard to a honda rancher... yeah thats it, 2 things i totally didnt order and had nothign to do with my 4wheeler,true they have really great prices but you better pray to god you dont have any problems with the sale afterwards. i would never buy anything from them ever again personally i was stupid for buying mine from them the first time. its like the old saying goes.. their letting their elephant mouths overload their hummingbird *****

blackisback06
12-13-2005, 07:06 PM
on another note. if your really hurting for money and dont care if you ever have to deal with them again then yeah go to them but in my opinion if they cared about the customers then they would hire a few people just to make calls and check on how the customer is doing or if their are any problems, they have the attitude down there that they can butter u up and get ur money then after that screw u. me personally i like customer service

la400ex
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, I definitely don't want to drive that far to be treated like that. If I can find a really clean used one for a little less around here, I will go for that. Every had any experience with any of the other bigger TN dealers like Abernathy or Ritchies? Thanks for the info man.

tacundra
12-13-2005, 10:32 PM
I just bought an '05 from ritchie powersports....the entire transaction took 15 minutes...no complaints at all...i would definately drive the extra 60 miles for ritchie.

blackisback06
12-14-2005, 06:21 AM
no problem man. just trying to help you out, kind of like the other old saying "you get what u pay for"i bought 2 300 hondas from sloans in murfreesboro and they have been very good, the last one was about 4 years ago and i still get a call once a year to check and see if its still doing good and what not. their a little high but definitly treat their customers very well

j_cyrus3
12-15-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.southernhonda.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=1823062E-02X12K15K2005J10I16I38JPMQ1606R0&veh=13233&CatDesc=ATVs

i like this...

Manufacturer Honda
Model Year 2005
Model TRX450R
Price $4,583.00

if i ever get another quad, this is deffinately where i will purchase one.

j_cyrus3
12-15-2005, 09:08 PM
sh*tty customer service or not, i can be an ***** too :D ( right after i get the quad in the back my truck of course :p )

quick50
12-15-2005, 10:09 PM
I bought my 06 from Lake Hill Motors.

http://www.yamahadiscountprices.com/

I drove all the way from tucson, az and had a wonderful experience. I gave them a date and time that I would be there and they had it ready and waiting. I was in and out in an hour.

Kirk is the man that helped me.

Steve

Crashmore 22
12-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I have bought all of my quads at Lake Hill Motors. They claim to be the largest honda dealer in America and have a great sales people and their prices are super low.

lightning_2000
12-18-2005, 11:54 PM
local honda shop
told me that the reason they can sale the quads
cheaper is because they buy them in between 3000 to 4000 quads everytime
makes sense to me

blackisback06
12-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
http://www.southernhonda.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=1823062E-02X12K15K2005J10I16I38JPMQ1606R0&veh=13233&CatDesc=ATVs

i like this...

Manufacturer Honda
Model Year 2005
Model TRX450R
Price $4,583.00

if i ever get another quad, this is deffinately where i will purchase one. thats your own stupidity no offense but in my opinion i would much rather have someone to be able to back up their sale after the item is already gone. But go right ahead but dont come crying to us when you cant get it worked on or you payed 400 bucks and some odd change for a 4 year warranty that you cant even get information on. (my fault yes i know) and they take and forge your signature to all sorts of stuff that you specifically told them you didnt want. but hey man its your money.

j_cyrus3
12-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by blackisback06
thats your own stupidity no offense but in my opinion i would much rather have someone to be able to back up their sale after the item is already gone. But go right ahead but dont come crying to us when you cant get it worked on or you payed 400 bucks and some odd change for a 4 year warranty that you cant even get information on. (my fault yes i know) and they take and forge your signature to all sorts of stuff that you specifically told them you didnt want. but hey man its your money.

My own stupidity? I have never took my quad to a shop to have it worked on, and I am NOT gonna mess with a warrenty. My dad's good buddies with one of the honda mechanic's in cookville tennessee, and he lives like 10 minutes from me. I don't have to deal with all of that crap, I either fix it myself or take it to him. I guess I should have explained the whole thing, so you couldn't have started talking s|-|it

400excracer
12-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Who cares if you jerked around for a few hours if you can save a $1,000.

xc400ex
12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
As long as all your buying is the 4 wheeler and nuthing else like warranty accessories or anything your fine with chattanooga, been there twice brought one 4 wheeler home. Leave early and plan for a long day especially on a saturday.

chris450R
12-21-2005, 10:07 PM
well if anyone hasn't looked them up already, Honda of Cool Springs is pretty good. it is either Franklin or Brentwood, TN. i got my 04 from them back in March of 04. i was there about an hour and they let me test ride it before i did anything. of course, the price had nothing to do with me getting it, because i paid a ton! got just about everything extra i could get like theft and extended warranty. anyway, just thought i would put in my opinion. oh and the customer service was good.

chris

Rich250RRacer
12-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
honda gives a payback to the dealers for sales. this dealership keeps all rebates and stuff like that too. its no joke, you can try to argue but I know 3 people personally who have gotten their honda bikes from these dealerships.

I don't think anybody on here knows how a dealership works. A dealer has to pay the manufacturer (Honda, Yamaha, etc) for the vehicle, then pay them flooring costs for each vehicle each month it sits on the showroom floor. I am good friends with the local Honda dealer and I hear the stories of them having to write monthly checks to Honda for between 3 and 4 thousand dollars for the bikes and quads that don't sell, bikes and quads that they already payed for. If you don't believe me, go to your local dealer and ask them what "flooring costs" are.

12-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
If you don't believe me, go to your local dealer and ask them what "flooring costs" are. no showroom floor no "floor" costs?

12-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by chris450R
well if anyone hasn't looked them up already, Honda of Cool Springs is pretty good. it is either Franklin or Brentwood, TN. i got my 04 from them back in March of 04. i was there about an hour and they let me test ride it before i did anything. of course, the price had nothing to do with me getting it, because i paid a ton! got just about everything extra i could get like theft and extended warranty. anyway, just thought i would put in my opinion. oh and the customer service was good.

chris thats where I bought mine in march of 04' I paid $6500 OTD with taxes. what'd you pay? i didnt get all that extra crap though because its a big waste of $$$. I got mine from that little chinese chick,

chris450R
12-22-2005, 07:31 AM
thats where I bought mine in march of 04' I paid $6500 OTD with taxes. what'd you pay? i didnt get all that extra crap though because its a big waste of $$$. I got mine from that little chinese chick,

well i think mine was alittle closer to 7000, but it was more because of the extra stuff and i had a down payment to try and lower it some, lol. well, idk if you know the guy in there that used to race superbikes but he is the one i got mine from. i can't remember his name? anyway, they were all pretty good to me. the manager or owner or whatever came out and talked to me about it alittle, too, just to make sure i was happy and takin care of.

chris

12-22-2005, 12:24 PM
yah my frame bent like 3 weeks after I bought it and they wouldnt refund anything or help me out except to help me order a new one. whatever, i hate dealerships

Rich250RRacer
12-22-2005, 01:36 PM
no showroom floor no "floor" costs?

Doesn't matter, the units are in their inventory.

blackisback06
12-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by 400excracer
Who cares if you jerked around for a few hours if you can save a $1,000. a few hours? dude try the last month and a half. i still got a 06 model 450r thats just sittin in my barn with maybe and this a huge maybe, 3 or 4 hours on it. u have any idea how hard it is to sit there and look at that machine knowing it wont do jack but sit there and pop and click? if i could get it to run i would be satisfied

Dave400ex
12-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Blackisback06 your problems sound like they are mainly with jetting after reading your other thread.

xc400ex
12-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Just because you bought it from one honda dealership doesnt mean another one won't do warranty work in most cases.

250Renvy
12-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ckasper18
It dont matter how many the dealership sells there pricing is the same as all the other dealers big dealership or not they are loosing money on every sale cant keep the doors open that way and if there building a new shop prices will go up .
I personally like the dealership i deal with they are very helpful and know what they are talking about.I can bet you dont work for free.

That's nonsense. In every facet of sales, their is a steadfast rule that the more you buy the less the individual cost. The MSRP on any atv is usually around 2k higher than actual cost. So add volume and there you go. Plus they sell alot to outta state buyers so they don't have to worry about serving them.

ckasper18
12-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Being a honda dealership for 44 years now and i have worked here since 1979.Back in the early days there was pretty good markup but now its different.Even with the rebate that honda has on the 05 he is still loosing money it dont matter how many you buy the price is the same .We purchase hundreds of quads and hundreds of bikes each year from honda and its all the same.Everyone has there opionion but check the facts this is not a car dealership go back to school..........

Jonas
12-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
That's nonsense. In every facet of sales, their is a steadfast rule that the more you buy the less the individual cost. The MSRP on any atv is usually around 2k higher than actual cost. So add volume and there you go. Plus they sell alot to outta state buyers so they don't have to worry about serving them.

This whole statement is incorrect.

250Renvy
12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Jonas
This whole statement is incorrect.

Then please correct me. Arguing on these boards is always like banging your head against a wall.

Argue it all you want, but they ARE making money. You can't stay open very long if you are constantly losing money.

So unless somebody here is an owner at Southern Honda, nobody really knows.

12-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Every dealership in the country pays the exact same price for their bikes and quads, regardless of unit sales. Mark up on a new 450r is about $1500. Dealerships that sell stuff for at or near cost are pretty stupid because they must sell 5-10 units to make the same profit as 1 unit at retail. They have to uncrate and setup/partially assemble each one, do paper work, and service for delivery. Your after sale service at "blowout" dealerships is usually crap, and many don't last long in the game. However if you wrench on your own stuff and want to save some $$$ go for it.

ckasper18
12-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Its nice to hear from someone who has a good idea about what is going on.My parents have owned a Honda dealership for 45 years now and back in the early days it was awesome selling quads and motorcycles.I started riding three wheelers in 1969 and enjoy it now as much as bacl then.

Set up Gas pay someone to do all of this paperwork not to mention people always price shopping .It is very rare if you can make two hundred dollars on a new sale very rare.We found a good friendly attitude before and after the sale and having tires rims helmets gloves pipes and letting people know you are involved in riding racing and the love for the sport makes it so much better for sales after the purchase of the new quad.

I love the sport and me and my daughter ride or race almost every weekend we are involved in several atv clubs and are part of the Great Lakes Quad Series which in 2006 we will be a four state mx series.Like i said in my very first post look for good service with a smile and a shop who has parts in stock when something goes wrong.At the shop track or trail if you ever need help i am there for you..................Chris

TRX450R2
12-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Yes that's how it is! I have been selling bikes and Quads for 28 yrs and it's not so much the money cos you don't make millions but you do get to help lots of people who share your love of the sport. I stil race at 44 and love every ride whether it is on the trail or race track, Most dealers do it cos they enjoy it, not the money!

400excracer
12-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by blackisback06
a few hours? dude try the last month and a half. i still got a 06 model 450r thats just sittin in my barn with maybe and this a huge maybe, 3 or 4 hours on it. u have any idea how hard it is to sit there and look at that machine knowing it wont do jack but sit there and pop and click? if i could get it to run i would be satisfied

There are other dealerships out there. Just because you by it there doesnt mean you have to service it there. Ive never even had my quad to a dealership. I wouldnt trust them anyways. $1000 is well worth it to me.

400excracer
12-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Its nice to hear from someone who has a good idea about what is going on.My parents have owned a Honda dealership for 45 years now and back in the early days it was awesome selling quads and motorcycles.I started riding three wheelers in 1969 and enjoy it now as much as bacl then.

Set up Gas pay someone to do all of this paperwork not to mention people always price shopping .It is very rare if you can make two hundred dollars on a new sale very rare.We found a good friendly attitude before and after the sale and having tires rims helmets gloves pipes and letting people know you are involved in riding racing and the love for the sport makes it so much better for sales after the purchase of the new quad.

I love the sport and me and my daughter ride or race almost every weekend we are involved in several atv clubs and are part of the Great Lakes Quad Series which in 2006 we will be a four state mx series.Like i said in my very first post look for good service with a smile and a shop who has parts in stock when something goes wrong.At the shop track or trail if you ever need help i am there for you..................Chris

Unfortunarely there are not any good dealerships like that around here. I am willing to pay more to buy local and get good service, but when someone is selling them for that cheap you have to be crazy not to make the trip.

Abrannan19
12-31-2005, 02:36 PM
i called them twice nd left my number both times for them o call me back..never called back I also waited on hold for 15 mins to talk to a salesman..then was told I would have to leave a message... I understand that its a gret deal but the drive is far for most and if the customer service is that bad in the begining when trying to sell a bike service is probabl horrible..jmo

01-01-2006, 12:45 AM
i live twenty minutes from them and yes they have no show room and very awful service as does every honda shop i have ever been too.but they own car dealerships here in chattanooga and got money to spend.they pay the same for quads as anyone but only expect to make a couple of hundred bucks off one instead of a 1000 and never see another customer.thats a price you have to pay when you buy something.the kelleys who own the shop care nothing about a fancy building as they could have the best damn honda shop in the us if they wanted it they got the money trust me.but like anyone knows less bills more invetory.so if you can stand the wait then you got a good deal.

flynryann
01-01-2006, 09:12 PM
all the prices are the same no matter what you buy or how many you buy. so just buy what you want on the internet and it will be there when you show up to get it. i have a friend that works there (greg barley) his job is internet sales. i guarantee that he'll do everything possible to make it a good experience. he's an old riding buddy.
i'm also pretty sure southern honda guarentees the lowest price.

Rich250RRacer
01-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Being a honda dealership for 44 years now and i have worked here since 1979.Back in the early days there was pretty good markup but now its different.Even with the rebate that honda has on the 05 he is still loosing money it dont matter how many you buy the price is the same .We purchase hundreds of quads and hundreds of bikes each year from honda and its all the same.Everyone has there opionion but check the facts this is not a car dealership go back to school..........

What are your average flooring charges? I know all dealers pay them, but how much per unit?