PDA

View Full Version : backwards starter / clutch

Don_Carnage
12-11-2005, 04:17 AM
ok, here's the story from the beginning. the 400 with a stage 2 hotcam ( no decompressor unit */*/*/*/*/*/) it always started no problem after i got a new harness, soliniod, bat. etc. i reused my starter and found the terminal was loose, but never had a problem. when i'd start it rolls and turns the motor but when i hit the compression piont and if it didn't run it would clang and clunk when the decrompressor should open (which i don't have). One morning it didn't even roll, not even a turn from the starter due to a broken wire on the brush that now i have replaced. I confirmed the part #, and it is the same that service lists but it spins freely. now i think it spins backwards. but it also leaves me to think that it is just the starter clutch is bad due to a hundred noises in the past. What are the causes of backwards spinning on the starter and what must be done. any body know which direction the starter spins, which way the reduction gear spins, and starter gear/clutch? I have torn the starter apart twice and i know it is proper due to that fact that it all fits together and there is no way to assemble it the wrong way just the wrong parts and i double checked they are all right. it leaves me with either backwards, or not catching. anybody got some info?

Don_Carnage
12-11-2005, 06:11 AM
When you have your engine apart or worked on, you rotate the flywheel/crankshaft to the left or counterclock. So the starter clutch turns left, the little gear would turn right or clockwise, so the starter would turn counter clock wouldn't it? My starter goes counter so it would be into the clutch wouldn't it? and really what are the chances of shearing the flywheel key? In all of the time we've spent out in the garage rebuilding and modifiyng engines somebody has had starter problems and seen the best and worst.

Don_Carnage
12-11-2005, 06:54 AM
I forgot the little gear behind the flywheel cover, if the fly goes counter, then the gear inside the fly cover goes clock then the gear inside the starter cover goes counter so the starter should go clockwise? Mine goes counter for sure so it is spinning backwards. I'm going to test this with another starter, but what would cause it to go in reverse.

oafen racing
12-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I have a stage 2 cam in my 400ex. I have been through 3 (yes i said 3) one way starter clutches. Noone at all makes an aftermarket heavy duty one for a 400ex i dont know what else to do except remove the cam and go back to a stage 1 or stock. (thats beat) so i dunno what to tell you except i been there 2 and in order to do it you got to remove flywheel and seperate clutch and flywheel and watch all the little bearings go everywhere.. HAHA it sucks. :mad:

12-29-2005, 09:09 PM
I riecently replaced the starter clutch in my 400ex. I bought a used one off ebay for cheep. I think it was like 25$ for starter clutch, flywheel, and some gears.

but anyways. You can tell if the starter clutch is bad by looking at it and the gear it drives off of. if either have skuffs on them then they need replacing.

and "oafen racing" have you been replacing the gear that the one way bering drives off of also? Because if that gets scared up then it can make the bearing go bad fast. It is best to replace them both at once.

oafen racing
12-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah i replaced the gear once but this time it looks alright hopefully it will work now for awhile til i find a heavy duty bearing for that damn thing.

400exrider707
12-30-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by oafen racing
Yeah i replaced the gear once but this time it looks alright hopefully it will work now for awhile til i find a heavy duty bearing for that damn thing.

the cam has nothing to do with the starter clutch going bad. Are you running a high compression piston?

oafen racing
12-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes i am running a high compression piston but why would that cause any problems?

kc8pnd
12-30-2005, 09:17 PM
More compression = more work for the starter is my guess. Kind of like airing up a tier with a hand pump, the more pressure in the tire the quicker you get tired.

bradrenea
12-31-2005, 06:52 AM
The cam will affect the starter if it does not have the compression release on it. Causes pretty much the same effect as a high compression piston.

oafen racing
12-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Yea i dont have a compression release anyway i can put one on it without having to get another cam? :huh

bradrenea
12-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Most aftermarket cams don't use the compression release. It's just part of it. I don't know but I don't think you can put one on it.