PDA

View Full Version : new 450R owner

400exnewbie
12-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I just bought a brand new 05 450R!!!:D man this thing is awesome.:D never rode a faster quad. it showed me just how out of shape i really am, and how hard it is to hold on to a very fast quad.:eek2:

now i have a few questions. anything i should look for or do to it b4 i ride it too much.

should i oil the chain or is it already oiled?

the dealer said i needed to change the oil in it after the 2nd tank of gas went through it, and i was wondering if this motor used a SMO-15 oil filter like every other honda motor.

also it feels to me that the clutch is a little grabby, i don't know if it is just that i haven't rode a clutch quad in a while or what but it seems that the clutch doesn't move very far b4 it will grab and kill the motor if u aren't very careful.

i will get pics of it up later this week, it is jet black and very nice looking at the moment.

400exMO
12-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Just change the oil frequently until it's broken in. Break the engine in right, don't ride it hard for a while. After acouple hours on it then I'd say "let er' rip". But if the chain's already lubed it won't hurt to try again. Just have fun, enjoy the quad, and properly maintain it and it'll last you forever.

12-11-2005, 01:32 AM
swingarm pivot bolt needs to be greased now before its too late. trust me. change your oil after riding like an hour

DEAL
12-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
swingarm pivot bolt needs to be greased now before its too late. trust me. change your oil after riding like an hour

I don't think mine has been removed yet .. I'm kind of scared to take it out now.

quad2xtreme
12-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike

Good advice. I was disappointed when I saw it going throught the engine bushings like the 400ex. What a PITA. Even worse is that you either have to remove the rear brake lever or loosen the adjustments to get to the nut.

/Jon

JRP
12-11-2005, 08:47 AM
congrats man.. any future mods?

wanna_be_ridn
12-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Congrats bro, Glad to see more hondas out there ;)

400exnewbie
12-11-2005, 12:22 PM
ok i will oil the chain, and how do u grease hte swingarm pivot?

also how far out should the clutch lever move b4 it engages? mine moves very little and it will move the quad if u try to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in.

future mods? nerf bars for now, and maybe a longer swingarm later, anybody got a 06 stock swingarm? since it is longer.

what kind of oil filter does this motor use? can i switch to synthetic oil on the first change or should i wait?

u think i will need to soften the shocks up since i don't weight but about 160lbs? it feels a touch stiff.

OKTRX450R
12-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Purchase the factory service manual or at least download it...

To grease the swingarm bolt you need to remove it...then coat it with waterproof grease (like wheel bearing grease) and reinstall it. PITA but will save hours of heartache down the road.

I would wait at least 5 oil changes before running synthetic...at a minimum and if it was mine probably a bit longer. Sorry, don't have the filter part number in front of me but you can go to Service Honda and look it up.

Personally I like 1/8" to 1/4" play in the clutch lever...the factory service manual gives you a measurement.

Sure, play with the compression and rebound on the shocks...just make sure you do one thing at a time and you write down what you did. Example, ONLY adjust the compression, record you turned 5 clicks counter-clockwise, test ride, come back and make another change and record...test, again, again, until you like it.

As light as you are you might be in the market for a respring and revalve...

400exnewbie
12-11-2005, 11:58 PM
ok i went and looked the quad over today and it looks like the chain has some thick grease on it right now, and the pivot pin has grease on it and were it goes through the frame and swingarm.

on the oil can i run any 5/30 oil in or does it have to be a motorcycle specfic oil? we have 4-stroke oil were i work but it is full synthetic.

i am going to try to turn down the compression and rebound on the shocks and see what happens.

12-12-2005, 01:40 AM
i went to fully synthetic on my third oil change and I changed my oils pretty quickly. mine has a TON of hours on it but does need its valves reshimmed