PDA

View Full Version : where to get plastics cut

Honda_exrider
12-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I just bought a new maier stock front fender for my 300ex. i wanted a race cut fender but maier was the cheapest and i figured id cut them myself. So where did you get your fenders cut at. Would the Honda Shop cut them or did you do it yourself or wherever you got it done at? Can you post some pix of a 300ex with front fenders that have been cut

300ex73
12-10-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't know that any shops would really cut them. Everyone here just does it themselves. Just mark off where you think they'd look good if they were cut off, then grab a jigsaw and go at it. most people usually use a file and some fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the edges, while some use a torch to melt them a little.

cb450r
12-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Your best bet is to cut them yourself. I really don't think that there is anyone that "specializes" in cutting fenders.
I'm sure you can do a search and find a few threads on how to cut your fenders by yourself.

Mxjunkie
12-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Tape everything up

Mxjunkie
12-10-2005, 09:54 PM
cut off..

use a hack saw, metal sheers just about anything works..

I used a vile to make my fenders smooth

300ex73
12-10-2005, 09:54 PM
here's another shot, these are the best pics I have.

Mxjunkie
12-10-2005, 09:55 PM
That ex is amazing man

300ex13
12-11-2005, 08:04 AM
i love that front end...

300ex73
12-11-2005, 03:40 PM
The a-arms are up for sale right now, along with a few other pieces.

400ex28
12-11-2005, 05:55 PM
y u sellin'
?

ZeroLogic
12-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 300ex73
here's another shot, these are the best pics I have.

is it just me or is your left side of your front fender higher then your right:eek:

300ex73
12-12-2005, 07:08 AM
I'm selling, cuz I feel like trying a different front end. Nothing wrong with the a-arms, and it's not that I don't like them. I just feel like trying a different front end.

And no, the fenders are the same height, the picture itself is just at an awkward angle.

jwick07
12-12-2005, 08:20 PM
tape measure and go SLOW SLOW SLOw because once you start with that blade your in and theres no going back

12-13-2005, 08:09 AM
lol, when me and my friend cut the fenders on his 450r, we just took a jig saw and let-er-rip. they came out just fine.

Plante400
12-17-2005, 01:18 AM
did it myself. use a skill saw and cut the big part of the dender off first so its easy to work with
then fine tune it how u like. use tape like mxjunky said., or take your time and eyeball

pastfast125
12-17-2005, 01:35 AM
anybody got pics of a z400 with cut plastics?

12-17-2005, 06:20 AM
i'll pay someone to cut my front plastics. the better job done, the more money. im in new jersey. let me know people.

jwick07
12-17-2005, 07:01 AM
How to cut fenders
please its like changing oil on the dificultly level. Here is what you need, pencil, tape (electrical tape works great), super fine sand paper, and what ever you are going to cut them with and a tape measure. I did my 450r with a brand new box cutter and it worked great.

Step 1. Pick a side and wash it clean with hot water and dry it, then take your pencile, a grease pen works to and lightly draw on the fender the patern that you want to cut along, or lay a tape strip down from front to back of your fender. With the tape strip you can get a good visual of were you are going to cut.

Step 2. Once you get one side laid out how you like it, using the tape measuer, measure about 10 to 15 spots the laid out side. ie how far in from the outside of the fender to the tape strip, distance from gas tank to tape strip, get the idea? Every place just place a dot with the pencile on the other side and before long you will have 10 to 15 dots on your fender. Then connect the dots with the tape line and bingo if you made good measurements there the same on both sides.

Step 3. Cut off a big chunk of the fender getting close to the tape line but not right up there leave yourself about two inches of plastice away from the tape line. This will give you a little practice and let you fill how the plastice will cut.

Step 4. This is the most critical step and you must go slow. Place your blade along the tape line and follow it. You want to cut the entire distance in one path, so go slow and straight following the tape line from front to back with out stopping.

Step 5. Remove the tape and with the fine sand paper just smooth out any rough spots or any waves or squigglies where you might have slipped a little.

Step 6. Crack open a cold one step back and be proud that you didnt pay sombody to do that easy and fun task.

12-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by jwick07
How to cut fenders
please its like changing oil on the dificultly level. Here is what you need, pencil, tape (electrical tape works great), super fine sand paper, and what ever you are going to cut them with and a tape measure. I did my 450r with a brand new box cutter and it worked great.

Step 1. Pick a side and wash it clean with hot water and dry it, then take your pencile, a grease pen works to and lightly draw on the fender the patern that you want to cut along, or lay a tape strip down from front to back of your fender. With the tape strip you can get a good visual of were you are going to cut.

Step 2. Once you get one side laid out how you like it, using the tape measuer, measure about 10 to 15 spots the laid out side. ie how far in from the outside of the fender to the tape strip, distance from gas tank to tape strip, get the idea? Every place just place a dot with the pencile on the other side and before long you will have 10 to 15 dots on your fender. Then connect the dots with the tape line and bingo if you made good measurements there the same on both sides.

Step 3. Cut off a big chunk of the fender getting close to the tape line but not right up there leave yourself about two inches of plastice away from the tape line. This will give you a little practice and let you fill how the plastice will cut.

Step 4. This is the most critical step and you must go slow. Place your blade along the tape line and follow it. You want to cut the entire distance in one path, so go slow and straight following the tape line from front to back with out stopping.

Step 5. Remove the tape and with the fine sand paper just smooth out any rough spots or any waves or squigglies where you might have slipped a little.

Step 6. Crack open a cold one step back and be proud that you didnt pay sombody to do that easy and fun task.

haha thanks. step 6 is no good..im only 15

jwick07
12-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Then enjoy a cold glass of kool aid

cb450r
12-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I first laid out a pinstripe tape line to get the look desired, I then used tracing paper to make a template so both sides would be the same, after transfering the template/tape line to the other side I re measured to make sure that they were equal.
I cut the fender with a Dremel cut off wheel about 1/8th of an inch away from my tape line, then I used a coarse sanding wheel to bring the cut closer to the tape line.
To finish up I used a file and brought the cut right to the tape line, and then used elbow grease and some emery cloth to finalize and smooth the cut, ending up with 1500 grit wet/dry.
Last step includes taking the tape off and getting rid of the frayed edge by running a razor blade perpendicular to the fender.
Hope this helps.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/cb450r/frntqtr.jpg

12-18-2005, 07:00 AM
dam thats one nice quad...ur fenders are cut real nice as well...

Alaska Racer
12-19-2005, 03:40 AM
yeah i didnt do a very good job at mine, i just marked them up with a black perminit marker and hacked away with a hack saw. they are that bad but i could have done better