PDA

View Full Version : advice on how to bulk up

87250rxrider
12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
hey,
i'm 17 years old, 5'11" and only 150lbs. i have little to no body fat(less than 7%) and i'm pretty strong, but i'm tired of being as thin as i am. i'm looking for advice on how to add muscle while adding bulk. i'm what people consider a hard gainer, b/c i can eat a ton and not gain anything. what kind of supplements should i consider using?? what workout routine should i utilize?? also, a very detailed explination would be best(what workouts i should do? how much of the supplement should i use? when shoudl i use the supplement? what diet should i use? etc??). thanks for any advice you can give.
thanks,
-Ryan

Bush0102
12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
well simply put, you need to take in a ton of protien and when you work out focus on weight instead of reps

BLACKeR
12-10-2005, 05:12 PM
my advice...dont be so concerned on bulking up. by the time you hit 21 youll be bulked up enough. your just a wirey teenager. before twinkies almost all of them were. physically youll be in much better condition if you dont concentrate on just bulking up. a thin in shape guy whoes strong will take a slow bulked up guy, any day.

300ex13
12-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
well simply put, you need to take in a ton of protien and when you work out focus on weight instead of reps

i have been told to be more focused on reps instead of weight b/c reps will continually build the muscle while focusing on weight you will only find what weight you max out on...ive been told to focus more on reps

(T) (L) (U)
12-10-2005, 05:23 PM
my advice is to to take a good wieght gainer, have a high caloric diet, and when at the gym focus on heavy weight not reps. and also stay away from the cable machines

Bush0102
12-10-2005, 05:45 PM
reps will define your muscles and make you more cut, but they wont build strength nearly as much as emphasizing weight will

prepracing
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
or Steroids if your looking to go the illegal way

300ex13
12-10-2005, 06:06 PM
alright Bush i guess thats what my coachs are wanting for us runners...you could also use Creatine (a muscle enhancement that IS legal)

gun32boarder
12-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
reps will define your muscles and make you more cut, but they wont build strength nearly as much as emphasizing weight will

No it won't. The only way to get defined muscles is having a low b/f% which he already has. Concintrate on high weight low rep workouts with a balanced high caloric intake.

clutt225
12-10-2005, 07:40 PM
get married thats a sure way to bulk up. haha
less reps more wieght lots of pasta.

trx400exxracer
12-10-2005, 07:45 PM
I would get a trainer when I was in the 7th grade I didn't know anything about lifting or building muscles but when I got a trainer and some protien I didn't have to know anything about lifting he just told me what to do and I did it and I saw very good improvements and the chicks totaly digs my muscles

400exrules
12-10-2005, 07:47 PM
ROIDS!

z400roosteR
12-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Bush is right, more reps will define and cut your muscle where as more weight less reps not only makes you stronger but in turn puts on more muscle!:chinese:

enduro400rider
12-10-2005, 10:03 PM
i got the same problem as you im 16, 6' 2'' 140, yea im a skinny one. i eat ALOT but i just cant gain weight, i thought about the whole protein or creotine thing i would try them but my mom is a dietition and she says they er bad for me so i cant, she gets this stuff called scandi shakes or sumthin like that, its a drink you mix up with milk and powder it has like 800 calories in it and some protein. i started drinkin one everyday and worked out, it deffinatly helps gain a couple pounds but as soon as i stop drinking it i loose the weight real quick. you should try that stuff i know its a little pricey and im not even sure if you can get it she gets it through the hospitle

bad01300ex
12-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Basically High weight low reps = bulk

Low weith High reps = deffinition

if you eat alot and dont gain much then chances are as soon as you stop using some sort of weight gainer, youll go back to where you were. We arent fully developed till were like 23 or somthing, so you still got time to grow. Keep working out, but dont focus on getting huge yet, just stay strong

Hell im 18 and im only 130:eek2: so i know EXACLTY how you feel. I thought about creatine ect. but id rather just stay natural. Protein shakes are always good after a workout. Im just gonna be patient and wait till i grow naturally

400exrules
12-10-2005, 10:55 PM
You should prob get on a workout program, but still you could do like 50+ pushups every day, maybe right before bed......it will help in the chest, arms, shoulder area

Do diamonds for triceps...their a pain in the *** but will build your triceps good.

gun32boarder
12-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Here is the anwser for anyone who thinks more reps will tone your muscles. Btw i can find many more aricles about this if you dont believe this myth.

This is from the 30 lies of bodybuilding. By Terry Banawich
High repetitions make your muscles harder and more cut up.
Although there is some evidence to suggest that high repetitions might induce some extra capillary intrusion into a muscle, they will do nothing to make the muscle harder or more cut up. If a completely sedentary person began weightlifting, using either low reps or high reps, he or she would experience a rapid increase in tonus, the degree of muscular contraction that the muscle maintains even when that muscle is relaxed, but that would happen regardless of rep range.

The only way that high repetitions would make a muscle more cut up is if, by doing a higher number of reps, your body as a whole was in negative energy balance, and you were burning more calories than you were ingesting. The truth is, heavy weights, lifted for 5-8 reps per set, can build rock-hard muscles. You just have to get the fat off them to see how "hard" they are.

gun32boarder
12-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Woaaaa here is another one
By: Pete Sisco

Myth #4 "You need high reps for definition and low reps for mass."

A muscle can only do one of three things. It can get bigger, it can get smaller, or it can stay the same size.

The way to make a muscle bigger is to subject it to a progressive intensity of overload. That is, the intensity of today's workout needs to be a little higher than your last workout for that muscle. If you want to keep a muscle the same size you can just perform the same workout every time. And making a muscle smaller is easy... just don't exercise it.

However, the idea that one type of exercise "defines" muscle and another type of exercise makes it bigger has no basis in reality. Muscle definition is a function of two characteristics in the body: muscle size and the absence of bodyfat. So if you want better definition you need to increase the size of your muscles through the aforementioned progressive intensity and you need to reduce your bodyfat.

So I can hear someone asking, "But don't high reps burn off bodyfat the way running or cycling would?" Well, yes, any long duration activity will burn more calories. But if you use light weights and high reps to burn calories how will you make your muscles bigger? You won't. It makes much more sense to burn calories and reduce bodyfat through jogging or cycling or some other repetitive activity and to simultaneously build more muscle mass through heavier, lower rep weight training. As a bonus, your new muscle mass will also burn more calories and contribute to fat loss.

So next time you hear this myth, correct it by thinking: "Low, heavy reps for mass, lower bodyfat for definition."