PDA

View Full Version : In Middle Of Prodject Need Help A-Arm Removal

06-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Okay ive been removing alot of my stiff whil my engine is getting bored. Well now im taking off the A Arms Tie Rod and Bumper to get them powder coated. Well I cant get the A Arms off the spindle! I took the bolts off that had the cotterpins in them and it just wont come off. What step did I forget to do? I need help this is half taken apart all ready

kabd69667
06-27-2002, 12:18 PM
You could either go out and buy a ball joint remover, or you could do it the cheap way. Put the nut back on the ball joint, find a hammer, a punch. Try to get the punch as flat as you can against the bottom of the ball joint. Then hit it with the hammer. You might be able to get it out with a few taps. There's probably other ways, but thats how i did it

worm
06-27-2002, 12:26 PM
i would think i ball joint remover would tear the ball joint... lift the top a-arm and tap on the spindle around the ball joint it should come out... on the lower lift the spindle and tap around the ball joint and let the a-arm fall

honda250xrider
06-27-2002, 12:59 PM
heck i know it sounds crazy but all i do is get a hamer and a crow bar and in a matter of a couple min i usaly get it out

06-27-2002, 01:32 PM
I pounded my *** off trying to get them off. I also tried pounding the spinda round the a arm and all it doesd is spin and spin and spin

worm
06-27-2002, 02:38 PM
is it that you cant get the nuts off of the ball joints?

kabd69667
06-27-2002, 03:03 PM
Well, the service manual tells you to use a ball joint remover. But i think he means how to get the ball joint out of the spindel

06-27-2002, 03:20 PM
This is what I want to do maybe youll get whatI need to get don. I wan to get everything offte a arms so i can put it into a dipping tank to get powdercoated but i xcant get the a arm off the spindal I got the bolt out with the cotterpin in it but the a arms wont come off.

muff
06-27-2002, 09:07 PM
did you get the nut off from the spindle cause you need to get an open end wrench on the bottom of it to keep it from spinning, once you get the nut loosened then you can hit it with the hammer

Mxbubs
06-27-2002, 10:21 PM
"a crow bar and a hammer" ...........yes, I can vouch for this, this is the best way I have found, make sure you use a rubber hammer though, you really need a dead blow. A vise also helps. I usually pry the top arm out while they are still on the bike, the take a screwdriver and come in from the upper hole on the spindle and beat the bottom one off.......

kicken250x
06-27-2002, 10:35 PM
gear pullers work that is what i used