PDA

View Full Version : holz/elka

HondaRydr2122
12-10-2005, 01:09 PM
i will be sending out money for this setup holz/elka longtravel..........the holz were only mounted on never ridden on......and the elkas are triple rate compression/rebound adjustable....and have about 10 hours on them......What do you guys/girls think about this setup?....Did I make a good choice?

ThumPIN_450R
12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
that is a good set up I think you will be happy with it. Mark Holz runs axis on his bike and is switching over to the new fox shocks but elkas are a good shock also.

400exMO
12-10-2005, 11:42 PM
As long as you get the shocks vavled for you they'll be amazing.

YfzMX212
12-11-2005, 09:08 AM
i will probably getting the shocks revalved....but i have a question the a-arms reccomend 19 inch shocks and im using 18.5.....this will still work right......i heard it will.......just making sure......and also do i have to have them revalve it different and what should i do about ride height etc. because of the difference?

400exMO
12-11-2005, 09:40 AM
You don't have a to have them revavled, but it will be noticeably better if you did. On ride heighth just adjust it to your preference.

Carl_YFZ
12-12-2005, 09:38 AM
If your weight is drasticaly different from the guy you bought them from then you will have to get the shocks revalved.
Give Elka a call and they'll hook you up. They just have a great customer service!!! And you can get them revalved and shipped back all in the same week which is pretty amazing!

Saved me a lot of troubles last summer!

Jersey450R
12-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by YfzMX212
i will probably getting the shocks revalved....but i have a question the a-arms reccomend 19 inch shocks and im using 18.5.....this will still work right......i heard it will.......just making sure......and also do i have to have them revalve it different and what should i do about ride height etc. because of the difference?

I would definitly have them looked at and revalved. 1/2 an inch difference in a shock makes ALL the difference in the world. even 3/8 of an inch screws up the leverage ratio. you can get away with it, but why? have the shocks work the best they can, afterall, thats why we all get aftermarket shocks. trust me, you'l be a much happier rider.

12-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
I would definitly have them looked at and revalved. 1/2 an inch difference in a shock makes ALL the difference in the world. even 3/8 of an inch screws up the leverage ratio. you can get away with it, but why? have the shocks work the best they can, afterall, thats why we all get aftermarket shocks. trust me, you'l be a much happier rider.

that 1/2" has NOTHING to do with the valving. It has to do with your extended length of your shock. You also need to know the compressed length the Holz Arms use because this is also very critical. If your compressed length is too short, your frame will bottom out before your shocks do and if it's too long, then you won't be using all of the available travel for that set of A-arms. there are many ways to correct this too. If your extended length is too long you can get short shock bodies, or just add some hardware under the valving stack internally above the top out bumper and seal head. Or shorter shafts depending on the correct compressed lengths you need.

YfzMX212
12-25-2005, 06:41 PM
i heard .5 means a centimeter........or millimeters or something.......and the amount of travel i would lose wouldnt be drastic