PDA

View Full Version : Help for the Holiday

jai5012002
12-10-2005, 06:58 AM
"I’ve never done anything like this before"... This is the first thought that comes into my mind as I start this story. First "we" are Jai and Tammy, a couple who have been together for 13 years. When we met, Tammy had one daughter, Amanda, and we had a daughter together. Tammy is in restaurant management and I am a CNA specializing in elder care. I am not asking anyone for money, please read on.
Let me back up to a year ago when we were evicted from our home. We had been through three hurricanes in two months. The house had been damage by all three, the place I worked had lost its roof and so I had lost my job, Tammy Restaurant was closed for two weeks and we were broke. Black mold had started climbing the walls on the house and the landlord refused the half payment on the rent and we ended up in a hotel room, two adults, three kids four dogs, two cats and a pair of turtles. It would almost be funny if it wasn’t so miserable. We worked hard, have the kids to their fathers for a short time and after six months of waiting for FEMA to help (never happened) we found a small home that we could afford. The next kick in the pants came when we emptemptied storage building where all our things had been and found it had leaked and everything was molded. We lost all our clothes, shoes, computers, tv's every thing. When I stopped crying, I found a job caring for an elderly gentleman with Parkinson and little by little we started to catch up on the bills. I spent every penny I made on back payments and trying to replace all the things we lost in the storms. In May, just as we moving, our 20-year-old, Amanda, told us she was pregnant. She already had a 5-year-old and her first pregnancy had been very difficult. She has a rare blood type and has to receive shot to keep from losing the child. We were happy to be grandparents again and our relationship with Amanda was so much better then it had been in the past so we all began to look ahead with hope. Then Amanda started getting big, really big. The water around the baby was massive and the doctors found a problem. The baby wasn't processing the fluid, he had a bowl blockage. The baby would need surgery. Amanda stayed in bed for the last two months and we all prayed. Then the unplanned, unexpected, unthinkable happened. The gentleman I cared for died, I was without work, and just a few days later Amanda went into premature labor. On Wednesday, October 12th we had a beautiful baby boy who couldn’t breathe on his own. He had problems eating, and having BM’s and couldn’t come home. The doctors ran so many tests, poking and prodding and changing their opinions over and over. After 29 days they said he was good to go home and released him, four hours later he had to be air lifted back to the hospital, I preformed CPR for 7 minutes while the other chrildren stood by crying. They set the helicopter down right in front of the house, and we followed, running every toll.
He was to be operated on Friday Nov. 18, but he had a bad reaction to being put under. They will wait until after the holidays but he will have a G-tube in his abdomen to eat and it will be there for six months to a year.