PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Dunes - RV park??

huffdaddy_400EX
12-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Has anyone here stayed at the Discovery Point RV park near the Winchester Bay dunes (Oregon)? I know is as direct sand access from the park...but i would like to hear from people who have stayed there and how they liked it.

Thanks

JOEX
12-09-2005, 06:43 PM
If it's the place i'm thinking of we stayed there for a night a few years ago in a tent. You do have to ride on some pavement and/or gravel to get to the sand, don't remember how long of a ride though.

The place seemed kind of 'odd' to me:p

z400roosteR
12-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Make sure to bring your "heavy" locks at that place, half of it has locals living in the edge of the park and they are not exactly class A people:ermm: , but the ride from the park to the dunes is 100-150ft maybe a sand and light gravel mix...then about a 1/4-1/2mile of whoops and your on the sand! GREAT spot i think it brings you out right to "banshee hill". Just remember to lock up your bikes good there if your on the one end of the park:D

400EX QUADER
12-10-2005, 10:38 AM
are you talkin about the trailer park on the SE side of DP??

400EX QUADER
12-10-2005, 10:40 AM
I also really enjoy staying here. I know the owner of it, very nice guy. http://www.micasa-suecasa.com/ Has TONS of parking space, can ride to the dunes from there and plenty of privacy.

z400roosteR
12-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
are you talkin about the trailer park on the SE side of DP??
Yea, i have nothing against people who live in trailers, just these praticular group looks rather shady. I Can't wait to go riding but i just broke my foot on my CBR thursday night so i will be out of commision for several weeks.

400EX QUADER
12-10-2005, 05:52 PM
dude, we need to go riding. lemme know man. I'm fun to ride with too. I've been to all the dunes in oregon except christmas valley do i'm use to these places. lemme know.
cory

big k
12-10-2005, 07:13 PM
is this the koa or is it a different one cause ive stayed at the koa and its just a huge gravel parking lot wiith spaces and it had dune access but it was some gravel sand and pavement some sweet dunes though

z400roosteR
12-10-2005, 08:54 PM
The one in Winshester that we're talking about is not a KOA resort. It's website is http://www.discoverypointresort.com/ Nice people and always people to ride with.

400EX QUADER
12-10-2005, 10:10 PM
the koa you mean is the one in coosbay... like you have to ride a mile on gravel and pavement to get to it. It's pretty close to boxcar which aint bad. when we stayed there, a damn skunk came into our camp, kept f*ckin with our ***** and let's just say the next night he had something a lil different to eat and we never saw him again. hahaha:devil:

AxemanLV
12-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I've stayed in the Discovary Bay site, I agree that you need to lock things up. I also camped an extra day just down the hill from the campground for free, on the edge of the river inlet. The campground has noise restrictions, so no riding in or out after 9pm. thats why we moved down to the free area, lots of space, and some hidden areas in the trees, with easy access to the dunes.
Matt

huffdaddy_400EX
12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm getting the feeling that it's not a safe place to be. Has anyone had their quad stolen or messed with?

mtpockets
12-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Discovery point is an ok place to stay, but your a long way from the big dunes. A lot of people trailer out of the park to the south parking lot so they can be closer to th"BIG DUNES". If your going for the weekend, its a nice place to stay. It all depends on what you want to do, how long you want to stay, and what time of year you want to go. If your planning a week long trip, what we do is stay at Osprey Point Campground, and trailer to wherever we want to ride. 15 Minutes To Spinreel, 25 Minutes to North Bend, or 25 Minutes to Winchester Bay. This is an excellant place to stay if you dont mind trailering out. You have to lock up all your gear wherever you go, and dont forget to take your seats in either. Remember absolutley no alcohol on the sand, NONE. You will get about $300.00 worth of information on that. Also, you need to watch your Dbs.

Let me know if you need more information.
http://www.ospreypoint.net/
http://www.mtpocketsracing.com

400EX QUADER
12-12-2005, 10:34 PM
discovery point aint bad at all... just make sure you lock your things up and you will be fine. just like anyplace. imo

huffdaddy_400EX
12-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by mtpockets
Discovery point is an ok place to stay, but your a long way from the big dunes. A lot of people trailer out of the park to the south parking lot so they can be closer to th"BIG DUNES". If your going for the weekend, its a nice place to stay. It all depends on what you want to do, how long you want to stay, and what time of year you want to go. If your planning a week long trip, what we do is stay at Osprey Point Campground, and trailer to wherever we want to ride. 15 Minutes To Spinreel, 25 Minutes to North Bend, or 25 Minutes to Winchester Bay. This is an excellant place to stay if you dont mind trailering out. You have to lock up all your gear wherever you go, and dont forget to take your seats in either. Remember absolutley no alcohol on the sand, NONE. You will get about $300.00 worth of information on that. Also, you need to watch your Dbs.

Let me know if you need more information.
http://www.ospreypoint.net/
http://www.mtpocketsracing.com

Thanks for the info. I don't think we'll be trailering out. We're driving a 37ft RV plus the ATV trailer. That would make it a little hard. The plan right now is to go around the May time frame, during the week...maybe 4-5 days. I guess I am concerned about having our stuff messed with, thats all.

400EX QUADER
12-13-2005, 10:04 AM
just lock it up and keep it in the rv or chained up. also it's only about a 5 minute rde to the big dunes if ya ride farely fast.

schootar
12-13-2005, 05:15 PM
We usually stay at Driftwood II in Florence and ride there for a day or two and then take a trip down to Winchester for a day. We almost always make it a point to go to Winchester for at least day. Of all the dunes in Oregon, it is my favorite.

Eddiesanders250
12-13-2005, 07:24 PM
For awhile I thought I was the only person that stays at discovery point. lol. I havent had any problems with anything being stolen or anything being messed with. We just roll the quads in the trailer and lock it. If they can get it out of there they deserve to have it. Its hard for us to stay at discovery point......... We go with two other people and we all have 38ft RVs and 16ft enclosed trailers, now my cousin is towing a 24ft enclosed trailer behind his RV :eek2: . We like to stay in that big empty parking lot on the right just as you drive into the bay. Always guarnteed to get a spot there. Only downside to staying there is the ride to the dunes, a couple miles on gravel and partway on assphalt. Chews the paddles up a little.

out4sand
12-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I've stayed at Discovery Point many times with no troubles what so ever. I do lock the bikes at night or when we leave the campsite to head to town but like I said, we've never had any problems with anything. The one big plus this time of year is that Discovery Point has full hook-ups & easy sand access. Like someone else said, if your towing a big trailer or a motor home with a pretty good sized trailer, make sure to reserve a spot with enough space. Some of the sites are a little tight to say the least.

guinness77
12-13-2005, 10:55 PM
I've been there many many times. BIG dunes! Nice sand. Just scout out the riding area for sink holes. They're along the western edge of the riding area. I've heard the area is relatively safe. Just lock up your stuff well.

The riding area take about 3 mins to get into. Then you're in the sand for about 7 mins before you get to the larger riding area.

If you go to Coos Bay Horsefall Camp has hook-ups and you'll be in sand in 1 minute. If you go to Horsefall Beach you have no hookups but you can ride up the beach and inland. Spinreel is a nice campground and has sand access into the top porton of the Coos Bay riding area. You can ride all the way to Horsefall Beach or cut inland then down again to horsefall Camp (or Houser or the KOA).

My favorite is to put-in to Spinreel. Head to the beach and cruze down some 20 mins to Horsefall Beach day use area. Turn inland into Bull Run. It's not heavily traveled and has great jumps. Take it up some 20 mins to the Houser sand road. Continue North to Saunders Lake. Stop and have a sandwitch under a tree at any of the several dune locked lakes. Then head upward back to Spinreel. Basically, the path is the outermost edge of the large riding area. It takes about 1 hour. At the Hauser sand road you can reach the southern riding area that goes from Hauser to Horsefall Camp.

If you have a good sense of direction, just take any of the 400 or so trails weaving through the forested areas. There are open dunes to play in as well. The Coos Bay dunes are only 200 or so feet high. Winchester pushes 600.

huffdaddy_400EX
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by guinness77
I've been there many many times. BIG dunes! Nice sand. Just scout out the riding area for sink holes. They're along the western edge of the riding area. I've heard the area is relatively safe. Just lock up your stuff well.

The riding area take about 3 mins to get into. Then you're in the sand for about 7 mins before you get to the larger riding area.

If you go to Coos Bay Horsefall Camp has hook-ups and you'll be in sand in 1 minute. If you go to Horsefall Beach you have no hookups but you can ride up the beach and inland. Spinreel is a nice campground and has sand access into the top porton of the Coos Bay riding area. You can ride all the way to Horsefall Beach or cut inland then down again to horsefall Camp (or Houser or the KOA).

My favorite is to put-in to Spinreel. Head to the beach and cruze down some 20 mins to Horsefall Beach day use area. Turn inland into Bull Run. It's not heavily traveled and has great jumps. Take it up some 20 mins to the Houser sand road. Continue North to Saunders Lake. Stop and have a sandwitch under a tree at any of the several dune locked lakes. Then head upward back to Spinreel. Basically, the path is the outermost edge of the large riding area. It takes about 1 hour. At the Hauser sand road you can reach the southern riding area that goes from Hauser to Horsefall Camp.

If you have a good sense of direction, just take any of the 400 or so trails weaving through the forested areas. There are open dunes to play in as well. The Coos Bay dunes are only 200 or so feet high. Winchester pushes 600.

Where at Horsefall Camp are the hook-ups? I called them the other day and they told me they did not have hook-up.

z400roosteR
12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
They don't......:rolleyes: Well the last time i was there was last spring break and they were like siltcoos down at florence NO hookups just drive in and pick a parking space on the pavement. They may have gotten hook-ups since then but i haven't heard otherwise.

huffdaddy_400EX
12-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Other then the KOA camp and Discovery Point, are there any other places near the sand that offer full hookup? I don't mine dry camping but the wife is giving me Sh** about it.

Eddiesanders250
12-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Honeymans in florence. Good luck getting in the H loop, its always booked up.

z400roosteR
12-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
Honeymans in florence. Good luck getting in the H loop, its always booked up.
Yup, we just dropped our reservations for spring break at honeymans that we made like a year ago. For some reason they changed spring break this year for the first time in 6+ years so me and my buddies at OSU and UofO all had class so we had to cancel and go to siltcoos,and horsfalls instead:(

out4sand
12-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Honeyman's doesn't offer year round sand access either, basically just the fall and winter months. Great place but be careful if you are heading down in the summer months as you won't be able to ride out of camp.

guinness77
12-23-2005, 01:09 AM

My mistake. They have showers. No hookups.

Also,
I believe the ICON under your name is Jasmine Grey? Am I right? She's gorgeous. But I receintly saw on ********.com that she died. Do you have any info on this?

huffdaddy_400EX
12-27-2005, 04:30 PM
My mistake. They have showers. No hookups.

Also,
I believe the ICON under your name is Jasmine Grey? Am I right? She's gorgeous. But I receintly saw on ********.com that she died. Do you have any info on this?

She died Dec. 10 in an automobile accident