PDA

View Full Version : front bumper removal (car)

enduro400rider
12-09-2005, 02:53 PM
i took my eclipse out for a spin the other day and i pulled into a parking spot and i pulled in too far and the front bumper bumped the curb and broke like glass, its got a body kit on it so the front bumper is fiber glass. i taped it up as best i could to get it home with out draging the broken peice on the road but when your car sits an inch off the ground its hard to do. anyway a big hunk of it fell off so i missing a part so i cant repare it. i ordered a new bumper but i dont know how im going to take the old one off. the front bumper is molded into the front fenders so its nice and smooth and the fender and bumper look like one peice. how can i get the bumper off with out ruining the front fenders?

Scro
12-09-2005, 03:24 PM
If you take it to a good body shop, they may be able to cut the bumper off where the new one will line up and then bondo the new one on. If not, I believe that you will be buying new fenders as well.:(

TheFontMaster
12-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
the front bumper is molded into the front fenders so its nice and smooth and the fender and bumper look like one peice.

Please tell me that they didn't bondo the bumper right to the fenders, some people just shouldn't be alowed to work on a car. To get the bumper off there will be bolts under the fender wells, and under the hood, just look around you will find them all. As for the bumper being bondo'd to the fenders you will have to ether sand the bondo off or cut it off where the bumper and fenders meet.

If not, I believe that you will be buying new fenders as well.

Unless the fenders are damaged which from what he makes it sound like they aren't, they wont need replacement. Once you get the bumper off, sand off all the bondo on the fenders. The put on the new bumper, and DO NOT BONDO IT TO THE FENDERS. If you want it to look smoother and it seems like the only way to do that is bondo the fender to the bumper then what you will have to do is, bondo the fender and the bumper together, but before the bondo gets rock hard get a fine point hac saw blade and cut through the bondo where the fender meets the bumper. That way if you mess up your bumper again you aren't dealing with all that work with the fenders and you can just un bolt the bumper.

Butters
12-09-2005, 06:39 PM
should have got a urethane kit if you had to have one. fiberglass sucks.

ReconRider25
12-09-2005, 08:25 PM
^^^im gonna say by the sounds of the post he bought the car with it already on there.....and if you dont know how to get it off and swap it i dont think you should be doing the job. body work is really easy to screw up if youve never done it before and dont have someone that knows what theyre doin helpin you out.

enduro400rider
12-09-2005, 08:32 PM
yea i would prefer not to replace my fenders they are Z3 fenders and are kinda pricey, it was hard enough buyin the new bumper, im not gonna take it to the body shop my buddies dad is gonna let me use his garage he has a spray booth and all that good stuff so im gonna repaint the whole car, who ever did it before did a sucky job, looks good from about 10 feet once you get close you can see they did a crapy job. some overspray in places a few bubbles the holes from the original spoilers were filled but werent sanded down, drips it just looks bad for how much is in the car. and yes they bondoed the front bumper to the fender same with the back fender and bumper, it gives it a clean look but it can make things difficult like they are now. if it was me i woulda put a urethane kit on it but thats how i bought it and after payin for the car i can only afford a fiberglass bumper.

enduro400rider
12-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
^^^im gonna say by the sounds of the post he bought the car with it already on there.....and if you dont know how to get it off and swap it i dont think you should be doing the job. body work is really easy to screw up if youve never done it before and dont have someone that knows what theyre doin helpin you out.

i ve done a little body work before but ive never run into this trouble before. im gonna do it all my self but ill have some gudance from a pro incase i run into trouble

Mxjunkie
12-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Please tell me that they didn't bondo the bumper right to the fenders, some people just shouldn't be alowed to work on a car. To get the bumper off there will be bolts under the fender wells, and under the hood, just look around you will find them all. As for the bumper being bondo'd to the fenders you will have to ether sand the bondo off or cut it off where the bumper and fenders meet.

Unless the fenders are damaged which from what he makes it sound like they aren't, they wont need replacement. Once you get the bumper off, sand off all the bondo on the fenders. The put on the new bumper, and DO NOT BONDO IT TO THE FENDERS. If you want it to look smoother and it seems like the only way to do that is bondo the fender to the bumper then what you will have to do is, bondo the fender and the bumper together, but before the bondo gets rock hard get a fine point hac saw blade and cut through the bondo where the fender meets the bumper. That way if you mess up your bumper again you aren't dealing with all that work with the fenders and you can just un bolt the bumper.

I about puked in my mouth when I read they molded the fender to the bumper....

You and me both do autobody were still teenagers and we know better then that... People these days :ermm:

Butters
12-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
I about puked in my mouth when I read they molded the fender to the bumper....

You and me both do autobody were still teenagers and we know better then that... People these days :ermm:

seriously there is a reason why it wasn't designed like that. :rolleyes:

enduro400rider
12-09-2005, 08:51 PM
yea i know who ever did the body work on this car was a complete moron. the car is sliver with purple flames. the retard painted the car purple and then masked the flames and sprayed silver :rolleyes: ??? about 80% of the car is sliver why would you do it that way?? o well i guess some people dont kno what there doin. it has 19 in rims on it and those are some pricey rims theres over spray all over one of them. :rolleyes:

TheFontMaster
12-09-2005, 10:30 PM
yea i know who ever did the body work on this car was a complete moron. the car is sliver with purple flames. the retard painted the car purple and then masked the flames and sprayed silver :rolleyes: ??? about 80% of the car is sliver why would you do it that way?? o well i guess some people dont kno what there doin. it has 19 in rims on it and those are some pricey rims theres over spray all over one of them. :rolleyes:

Wow if I was you I would have slaped that guy right in the face when I went to look at the car:o . But it sounds like you know what your doing, and know how to actualy do it right, so good luck with the car. And what color/colors are you going to paint it?

Mxjunkie
12-09-2005, 10:44 PM
have a pic of the car?

enduro400rider
12-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Wow if I was you I would have slaped that guy right in the face when I went to look at the car:o . But it sounds like you know what your doing, and know how to actualy do it right, so good luck with the car. And what color/colors are you going to paint it?

im probably going to paint it just about the same sliver but with some pearl in it and for the flames im redoing them cuz they look sucky but the flames are going to be a blue color just not sure what shade yet, im gonna have to look at some paint chips. right now the car is burried under 6 inches of snow, im probably gonna go out and take the cover off to day and pull it in, ill get some pics then.

metalmellinium
12-10-2005, 12:23 PM
You should just get a Recon stock front bumper, i bet it will be cheaper then that fiberglass one, and wont break into a million pieces.

TheFontMaster
12-10-2005, 01:14 PM
im probably going to paint it just about the same sliver but with some pearl in it and for the flames im redoing them cuz they look sucky but the flames are going to be a blue color just not sure what shade yet, im gonna have to look at some paint chips. right now the car is burried under 6 inches of snow, im probably gonna go out and take the cover off to day and pull it in, ill get some pics then.

You should paint the whole car the silver pearl, then make the flames a dark candy blue. That would look nice.

enduro400rider
12-10-2005, 06:54 PM
You should paint the whole car the silver pearl, then make the flames a dark candy blue. That would look nice.

sounds like a good combo, i was planing on it being a dark blue for the flames, but i was debating weather to do dark flames or do a ghost flame look. im probably gonna do a dark flame. i think im goin to get rid of the stupid looking Mitsubishi symbol they painted on the front, ill have to get sum pics posted once i get it in the garage, it wont move in the snow, im gonna have to dig it out tommarow

TheFontMaster
12-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I wanna see what this car looks like. Flame are nice but they are really common. I just thought of this, maybe do some kind of outline that would follow the body lines. I don't know if you get what I'm thinking of, if I had a paint program, hell with all the stuff on this computer I might have one, once you post a pic I will outline some cool grafic onto it.

enduro400rider
12-10-2005, 09:52 PM
i dunno maby this link still works you can try it its the link to the auction i got it from, you can check it out but ill get sum pics tommarow http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-RS-GROUND-EFFECTS-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4590940335QQcategoryZ6352QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

TheFontMaster
12-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Nope the link don't work any more. I gues I'll just see it tomorow when you get some pics.

enduro400rider
12-11-2005, 02:24 PM
heres a pic its kinda crappy cuz you can see the snow comin down.

enduro400rider
12-11-2005, 02:27 PM
o yeah i forgot to mention the retard didnt match the paint on the hood you can tell in pic the flames are more of a black than purple. also some more bad news the front fenders are fiber glass so i have to cut the old bumper off and mold the new one it :rolleyes: