PDA

View Full Version : To BIG BORE or not ?

1BAD72
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Hello everybody . I'm new to this Forum but I have a question .

I have a 2000 400 with a (full) big gun exhaust , white bros rev kit aftermarket clutch K&N powerkit (jets,filter)And run with no airbox lid . I just got the bike 1 week ago and have only gotten to ride it once .

I want to bore the bike and wasn't sure if I should go 416 or 440 I was also going to go with a stage 1 or 2 cam . I'm not going to race and I want the bike to stay reliable I live in Washington and usually ride in the dunes . I want to start riding in the Oregon dunes this spring what do you all recomend ?

Danny H
Buckley Wa

400EX QUADER
12-08-2005, 10:48 PM
if you get aim I can talk to you all about it and the oregon dunes. download it at aim.com it's free. im me at cory400exquader
thanx

QuadJunkies
12-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 1BAD72
Hello everybody . I'm new to this Forum but I have a question .

I have a 2000 400 with a (full) big gun exhaust , white bros rev kit aftermarket clutch K&N powerkit (jets,filter)And run with no airbox lid . I just got the bike 1 week ago and have only gotten to ride it once .

I want to bore the bike and wasn't sure if I should go 416 or 440 I was also going to go with a stage 1 or 2 cam . I'm not going to race and I want the bike to stay reliable I live in Washington and usually ride in the dunes . I want to start riding in the Oregon dunes this spring what do you all recomend ?

Danny H
Buckley Wa \

It depends on what you mainly want out of your quad I guess. I have a 426 and a 440 kit and had a year on both set ups . If you live on the Coast, Im assuming you like to Drag race on sand alot.. I would get a 440 for a bit mopre top end. My 426 had alot off the line, but my 440 was alot more everywhere else and less heat issues since I resleeved.If you have it done right, it is a nice set up . I added a 450r carb and between all my mods, it now has nice Grunt and top end threwout :)

Tina

1BAD72
12-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I do enjoy racing but I mostly want to have the power to climb hills and just be fast. I do alot of moutian/trail riding. I'm a bigger guy( not a hog but not a pole either ) What does the 426 consist of ? Do you have to sleave it or is it just a bore job? On the 440 is there a problem with overheating , or reliability?

Danny
Buckley Wa

frankiedizzle56
12-09-2005, 10:55 PM
well i hate to say this but where there is sand it is hot and since the 400ex is aircooled u shouldnt go with the 440 like in mine i got a 416 and it is great but the 440 kit will over heat your engine and blow it up b/c it runs way to hot.

QuadJunkies
12-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by frankiedizzle56
well i hate to say this but where there is sand it is hot and since the 400ex is aircooled u shouldnt go with the 440 like in mine i got a 416 and it is great but the 440 kit will over heat your engine and blow it up b/c it runs way to hot. Your joking right??? :huh MY 440 runs cooler than my 426 did being resleeved.

If a 440 is done right, it can be just as reliable as any other kit

QuadJunkies
12-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 1BAD72
I do enjoy racing but I mostly want to have the power to climb hills and just be fast. I do alot of moutian/trail riding. I'm a bigger guy( not a hog but not a pole either ) What does the 426 consist of ? Do you have to sleave it or is it just a bore job? On the 440 is there a problem with overheating , or reliability?

Danny
Buckley Wa

I ran a 11:1 Ross on my 426 and had porting done as well. I really like it, it had alot of Grunt, I just didnt like how it zapped the power when I rode alot in the sand. It runs much cooler now with what I have now :) Each to ther eown Im just telling you of my experience and my opinion/differences. I still keep my 426 for a back up cause ya never know when ya might need it

JOEX
12-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by frankiedizzle56
well i hate to say this but where there is sand it is hot and since the 400ex is aircooled u shouldnt go with the 440 like in mine i got a 416 and it is great but the 440 kit will over heat your engine and blow it up b/c it runs way to hot.
Have you ever been to the Oregon Dunes? Or any dunes? It's not always hot, it can even be very cold:ermm:

QuadJunkies,

Did you have the same cam and head and porting in both motors?

QuadJunkies
12-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Have you ever been to the Oregon Dunes? Or any dunes? It's not always hot, it can even be very cold:ermm:

QuadJunkies,

Did you have the same cam and head and porting in both motors?

Yup, I just have a Jug/piston change is all :)

Everything else was the same just a dif. kit