PDA

View Full Version : what to buy????

xlr8n
12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I am interested in buying a sport atv and have done quite a bit of research but have not ridden anything as of yet. My background is in motorcycles, both street and dirt. My kids have expressed a big interest in atv's and I figure it is an oppurtunity to spend some quality time with my children that I would'nt normally get.
I have no desire to race but I dont want to buy a dog either. Something fast enough to get my attention but I don't want to die doing it. Have looked at Honda 450 Yamaha raptor 700, Suzuki LTZ400 and the Predator 500.
Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
XLR8N

hannibal3495
12-08-2005, 08:02 PM
If your not wanting to race, throw out the honda 450, all four are good quads though, I have no experience on a 700 but the other two I do.The z400 felt small, I am fairly big 5'10" at 215, I have an 05 TLD Pred. The pred has a little more power than the z but the z doesn't lack power for what it sounds like you want it for. If price matters the z is a little cheaper than the Pred. Hope this might help you. Good luck with your choice.

MAaudioX10
12-10-2005, 06:43 PM
I have had a decent amount of seat time on those new 700's and I do like them a lot. They have good power and plush suspension. If you are a weekend warrior and are not into a lot of jumping, the Raptor may be a good choice. The Predators are no slotches. I own 2. I love the Preds. Mine are fairly heavily modified. So, they offer a good platform.

Drag Addict
12-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Don't know what you have decided but, If you are in the market for a predator, I have this one for sale, and I am close to Louisville. I have it posted in the classifed adds, if you have anymore questions or are interested, let me know! I have 7000 invested, and I am asking 4500.

waloud
12-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Nice predator! I bought an 05 TL Pred. this past May and I love it. Where do you ride Drag Add?

Drag Addict
12-20-2005, 04:09 PM
waloud, we ride just about anywhere and everywhere. Hatfield and McCoy, LBL , the Bad Lands there are not too many local places to ride. You know of any good places that are not too far of a drive?

pep
12-21-2005, 09:19 AM
xlr8n,

I also recently entered the realm of riding ATV's and it IS a great family sharing experience. I picked up a used Honda 400EX from my wife's cousin - has the Curtis Sparks set up and really hauls *ss. It was a tired chassis (1999) and required some pretty extensive work to bring it up to snuff, but I'm almost there (shoulda bought new). If I bought now, the Zook 400 or the Pred would be my choice. For my two sons, I started them on a fully automatic Polaris Phoenix, but they outgrew its capability in 6 months. I bought one the Honda 250EX and the other the Suzuki 250. Both are great machines and we have a blast riding the dunes at Pismo together. Good luck on your purchase. Quality time for sure...

wolffie
12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
xlr8n, i have had experience with most all of those quads that you have mentioned. if you do not intend to be hard core into racing, the 450r and yfz really are not the best buy for you. two of my buddies both have the those quads, and yes they are very quick. however they do no have reverse ( the 2006 honda does but it costs extra) and are not as trail friendly as the pred, lz400, or 400ex. my friend tim has a 2005 400ex with an HMF pipe, K@n intake with powerlid and jet kit. it is a peppy machine, but is somewhat cramped compared to the Raptor 700 and pred ( size wise it similiar to the yfz, 450, and lz) a used 400ex would be a good bargain b/c the 2005 is practically the same as all the older models. The TLD predator 500 is an awsome buy in my opinion. i purchased a 2005 edition. it comes STOCk with fox float shocks, maxxis radials ( which are good for stock tires) and a snappier transmission ( it is geared slightly lower for acceleration) If you are a bigger guy, like 6 foot 200lbs+, this is a very good quad for you. it has superb handling, excellent power ( trust me, it is fast), and is a blast to ride. the only problem with it is that the intake system is poorly designed. there is a boot that goes from the carburetor to the lid of the air box. the air filter itself is a flat car style design. i would recomend replacing it with a clamp on K@N or intake kit from www.rathracing.com
alright, so heres how it goes. the 400ex and lz400 are very comparable in performance, the lz having a little more torque and better suspension ( the newer versions of the lz have the updated rezzies on the shocks) both of these machines are good if you can a good deal on the used one. the predator is a great machine as i have mentioned before, but if you plan on buying NEW, the raptor 700 is very very hard to beat. (if you have $7,000) it is fuel injected, it has a very wide wheelbase, it has great suspension, and it is fast! if you have the cash by all means take a look at this machine. go on these sites for more info:
www.yamaha.com
www.polarisindustries.com
www.honda.com
www.suzuki.com

go on this website to compare two models against each other:
www.powersportsnetwork.com

good luck man, hope this helps