PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating

440exnacsracer
06-26-2002, 09:06 PM
just curious....how does it work...is the surface to be painted electrically charged or something?

airheadedduner
06-26-2002, 09:25 PM
The powdercoadting is kindof a paste I believe. Then an electrical charge is put through it and it is baked in an oven. Kinda like glazing clay pottery in art class. Powdercoating equipment is only 70 bucks froma local tool shop minus oven. I am trying to get my hands on one.

440exnacsracer
06-26-2002, 09:30 PM
if you get one, let me know, id like to get one too

airheadedduner
06-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Harbor Freight also sells them for like 80 bucks. I don't know if they have a web site or have stores in your area.

CBW
06-26-2002, 10:25 PM
powdercoating: is the application of a positively charged powder spray to a negatively charged metal substrate.

the powder is not a paste,,,,,it is very similar to the consistency of flour.....

non metallic substrate powdercoating is already in the process of being developed......

BTW.....my gun was $800.00
just my o2:o:rolleyes:

Atomic83
06-26-2002, 10:35 PM
What temperature do you have to bake it at?

CBW
06-27-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Atomic83
What temperature do you have to bake it at?

400* and that is the temp of the piece,,,not air temp,,,
once the piece reaches 400* and the powder flows out and looks like wet paint then you time it for about 20 minutes. Then let it cool and it is ready to use

Drtridr18
07-01-2002, 10:11 AM
How much temp will powdercoating stand up to? I want to take my factory headpipe, grind off the heatshield mounts, grind out the welds, and either have it ceramic/chromed or powdercoated-just didn't know if powdercoating would stand up to exhaust heat.

Any input?

Thanks

CBW
07-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Drtridr18
How much temp will powdercoating stand up to? I want to take my factory headpipe, grind off the heatshield mounts, grind out the welds, and either have it ceramic/chromed or powdercoated-just didn't know if powdercoating would stand up to exhaust heat.

Any input?

Thanks

traditional colors will only take up to 305*,,,,,but theur are high temp powders that can take up to 1200*

you are probably better off having it creamic coated

Castor-426ex
07-01-2002, 07:22 PM
Hey Chris what do you think the price would be on high temp powdercoating my pipe??
what colors are available in the high temp???

Drtridr18
07-01-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your replies..

I was wondering that also, how much would it cost to have it plated/ceramic coated? I 'm a journeyman machinist, our shop sends stuff out to be chromed, but it's hard chrome-for wear...thinking not the same stuff like bright crome.

Thanks a lot!

Justin

CBW
07-01-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Castor-400ex
Hey Chris what do you think the price would be on high temp powdercoating my pipe??
what colors are available in the high temp???

the only colors available are: satin black, silver, cast grey, and stainless steel grey (the stainless and cast are dark colors).

price is about 75.00

OutlawEX
07-01-2002, 09:41 PM
when u get something powdercoated its alot stronger and can take rocks alot easier than spray paint

airheadedduner
07-02-2002, 12:24 AM
Your gun cost $800 bucks!!! This kit I saw included lots of stuff. If I get you a list, would you tell me what it is missing to get started?

CBW
07-02-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Your gun cost $800 bucks!!! This kit I saw included lots of stuff. If I get you a list, would you tell me what it is missing to get started?

sure why not....;)

CBW
07-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Drtridr18
Thanks for your replies..

I was wondering that also, how much would it cost to have it plated/ceramic coated?

Thanks a lot!

Justin

chrome plated i am not sure,,,,,

but i think jet hot coated is only about 75 also and it is a thermal barrier so the radiated heat is cut down...

i did my own ceramic on my headpipe,,( my material was old so the finish didnt turn out real smooth,,,i have since bought fresh material),,, but it is a liquid that i spray on and then bake at 500 for an hour to cure out and then i have to polish it to a shine,,,,and it is a little more expensive...and i dont reallylike doing it so i dont anymore...