PDA

View Full Version : Doubting GMC

Alberta_Qaudin
12-08-2005, 11:53 AM
k so one year ago i bought a GMC sonoma Xtreme, within one month i had to get ball joints done, one month after that steady bearings, U-joints, and finally an axel to get rid of a vibration, 2 months after that 2 injectors and a fuel system flush. this week.

wheel bearings (both sides)
balljoints (both sides)
block heater
power steering pump
steady bearing again
2 other bearings in my rear end
both prop shafts. (rear axels)
rotor, and cap
and they are still working on it and checking out more

so the whole "OPTIMUM" used vehicle thing just flew out the door for me, and 151 point inspection my ***, i know that alot of this stuff can be chalked up to wear and tear but i have only put 20,000 on since i bought it and had the drive shaft and bearings, and injectors done within the first 3 months. and no i'm not all that easy on my truck but i sure as hell am not that hard on it either

underpowered
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
its just one of those things. I have a 1992 gmc fullsize 4x4. I bought it and was putting upper ball joints and idler arms on it consistantly every month or so, but this last set has last me nearly 6 months with no apparant reason. The only thing i changed is I bought the idler arm from KY motors instead of Autozone and i did a ball joint flip on the upper ball joints this last time they were replaced.

jcv400ex
12-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I'd be questioning the repair shop. :confused:

red2004 TRX450R
12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
k so one year ago i bought a GMC sonoma Xtreme, within one month i had to get ball joints done, one month after that steady bearings, U-joints, and finally an axel to get rid of a vibration, 2 months after that 2 injectors and a fuel system flush. this week.

wheel bearings (both sides)
balljoints (both sides)
block heater
power steering pump
steady bearing again
2 other bearings in my rear end
both prop shafts. (rear axels)
rotor, and cap
and they are still working on it and checking out more

so the whole "OPTIMUM" used vehicle thing just flew out the door for me, and 151 point inspection my ***, i know that alot of this stuff can be chalked up to wear and tear but i have only put 20,000 on since i bought it and had the drive shaft and bearings, and injectors done within the first 3 months. and no i'm not all that easy on my truck but i sure as hell am not that hard on it either

IF THE SAME THING HAPPENS 3 TIMES YOU CAN GET A NEW TRUCK UNDER LEMON LAWS!!

rneal
12-08-2005, 12:18 PM
It sounds like the truck has been or is being serverly beaten on.

Alberta_Qaudin
12-08-2005, 12:53 PM
i think the owner before me rod it hard and put it away wet, now i get to deal with the aftermath of it all......thank got for extended warranty

Rich250RRacer
12-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I've worked in the parts business for 15 years and I know Chevy/GMC trucks pretty well, so tell me what the f*** is a steady bearing?

bobs400
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
thats a chevy for you FORD all the way

MR.BIG
12-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Get rid of it and buy a Ford!

hotrodhonda400
12-08-2005, 05:01 PM
check if this truck was a FLOOD vehicle by doing a carfax ,it may not show up BUT this sound like one to me,you have had to many problems with bearings N stuff

Schooled 416
12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
You probably had a crappy repair shop. I have 2 s-10's one has 250k miles on it, only things done are; idler arm, motor mounts, transmission (cheap fix), cv boot, plus I replaced the starter and flywheel, but just because I had the tranny off (easy access) and they each had alot of miles on them. I bought the truck from a neighbor who bought it brand new in '91. He did normal oil changes and maintenance, nothing more. I bought it from him for $500, it wouldnt get out of first gear, the front planetary had gone up, plus I went ahead and had the whole thing done just because of the high miles. I didnt even have $500 in the transmission to get it fixed. Plus its 4wd. O yea, and right now it needs tires. Im lookin at some BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A's

Schooled 416
12-08-2005, 05:33 PM
O yea, and a fuel system flush seems kind of fishy.... Never really heard of that before.

Derag2
12-08-2005, 05:45 PM
The sonoma is the GMC verison of the S10 aint it???? S10's aren't really known for being the best built vehicles around, my sisters b/f thought his S10 was the best thing since sliced bread but he soon relised it was complete junk and bought ajeep, im working on getting him in a FORD thou.

Fords the way to go i don't care what anyone says..

bwamos
12-08-2005, 06:04 PM
You're thinking of the S-15. The sonoma is the GMC version of the Chevy Sierra.

Schooled 416
12-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
You're thinking of the S-15. The sonoma is the GMC version of the Chevy Sierra.

the s-15 is gmc's s-10 until 92ish, then from then up they were the sonoma. GMC sierra = chevy silverado

Schooled 416
12-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Derag2
The sonoma is the GMC verison of the S10 aint it???? S10's aren't really known for being the best built vehicles around, my sisters b/f thought his S10 was the best thing since sliced bread but he soon relised it was complete junk and bought ajeep, im working on getting him in a FORD thou.

Fords the way to go i don't care what anyone says.. Thats what EVERYONE says about their favorite car company, let it be ford, dodge, chevy, honda, haundai, etc....

Rich250RRacer
12-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Can anyone tell me what the hell a steady bearing is?:confused:

bulkdriverlp
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
sonomas,rangers,s-10,colorado ect, shouldnt be allowed to be called trucks. they are just cars with storage boxes on them. FULL SIZE OR STAY HOME

TheFontMaster
12-08-2005, 07:21 PM
I liked how the newer s-10's looked like, they seemed like decent trucks. The older ones I never liked, Chevy's especialy those older s-10's had rusted so badly. A couple of my friends have those, and they barley have any cab corners left, and spots on the bed rot out easily.

Honda4trax250x
12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Yes I like some Lemon in my water....

You Got a Lemon... that sucks... sell it and tell the buyer it has never been in the shop

Ex'In_Alberta
12-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Can anyone tell me what the hell a steady bearing is?:confused:

ok this is the same person who owns the truck ....diff name.....not a mechanic but in the GMC repair manual is has a STEADY BEARING, where the spindol (sp) and the drive shaft meet, there is an angle depending on the level of the truck....(lifted or lowered) and in the mess somewhere is a steady bearing, it is somewhere in between the tranny and spindol and the drive shaft.....from what i agter from reading my repair bible (the list if **** they gave me that they fixed)

also the carfax has been run and it has had no major accident roll over, nothing, it was just ridden hard before i owed it, right now i am sitting on basiaclly after one year a truck with an entire new drive train, should i have any more problems it will be traded for a full size, and as for the people who say it shouldnt be called a truck, thats your perogative but no one asked for your f***in opingion. living in the city it is damn nice to have a little truck i can rip around in but still have a box to chuck my s*** in and needless to say anyone who has drivin an Xtreme knows there is something about no weight and that little 4.3 that can make a full size look stupid of the line and can still haul a quad.

prepracing
12-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Generic
Made
Chevrolet

MOFO
12-09-2005, 03:08 AM
I doubt the previous owner and the repair shop - not so much GM.

If this truck was brand new, then yes, you can ***** - however it sounds like the previous owner literally beat the crap out of this truck. You bought a used truck, you cannot call it a lemon at this point.

How many miles where on the truck before you bought it. Did you ever think to ask for the service history? I did that with my truck when I bought it - it was 1 year old but I wanted to see all of the service records from day one.

MOFO
12-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Ex'In_Alberta
...and that little 4.3 that can make a full size look stupid of the line...

ok, now your pushing it. Sounds like you beat on the truck as well.... :confused:

Schooled 416
12-09-2005, 04:19 AM
that little 4.3 that can make a full size look stupid of the line and can still haul a quad.

Ill agree with you on that. When mine had the 4.3 in it I took it to the track. The only other full size truck there that wasnt diesel that could beat me was a 2wd chevy 6.0 liter with a chip, exhaust, intake, and nitrous. I dont remember what he ran, but I ran a 16.5 with it. There was a dodge hemi there, he was 4wd and he was in the 18's. I still dont know if there was something wrong with it or what because dodge was advertising 15.?'s with the hemi rams. maybe they meant the 2wd's.

jwick07
12-09-2005, 06:35 AM
I ran my 92 sonoma for seven years, bought it with 40,000 miles on it and traded it in with over 100,000 only thing I changed in seven years was, brakes, shocks because I lowered it, tires, fuel pump and clutch. I don't think that was too bad for seven years. I loved the 4.3 vortec V6 with the stick shift, short bed and single cab, I could roll smoke off the tires easy with that little truck. I roll in a Canyon 4x4 crew cab now, but some days i still miss my little sonoma or as we called it the "Hoe Rider Low." since it sat 4 inches off the ground.

Alberta_Qaudin
12-09-2005, 09:52 AM
dont really beat on my truck but if some one challenges at an intersection i will pin it and see how she goes.

ok and i should add, the repair shop is a GMC dealership, figured that the warranty work part would have given that away. hence i am question GM's quality, everytime the truck has gone for repairs it has been at a GMC dealership, including the person who owned it before me.

and again 2 months after buying it my drive shaft is warped and trowing out all my bearing, you would think a 151 point inspection would catch something like that, or atleast that the U-joint was gone

Loser450
12-09-2005, 11:13 AM
ok this is the same person who owns the truck ....diff name.....not a mechanic but in the GMC repair manual is has a STEADY BEARING, where the spindol (sp) and the drive shaft meet, there is an angle depending on the level of the truck....(lifted or lowered) and in the mess somewhere is a steady bearing, it is somewhere in between the tranny and spindol and the drive shaft.....from what i agter from reading my repair bible (the list if **** they gave me that they fixed)

I'm confused... this bearing inside the tranny? or the bearing that holds your driveshaft up (carrier bearing)? Either way, sounds like your trucks been under water. I'd get rid of it while you still can.

MOFO
12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Alberta_Qaudin
dont really beat on my truck but if some one challenges at an intersection i will pin it and see how she goes.

ok and i should add, the repair shop is a GMC dealership, figured that the warranty work part would have given that away. hence i am question GM's quality, everytime the truck has gone for repairs it has been at a GMC dealership, including the person who owned it before me.

and again 2 months after buying it my drive shaft is warped and trowing out all my bearing, you would think a 151 point inspection would catch something like that, or atleast that the U-joint was gone

...sure should like a bad dealership. I would have taken my business elsewhere a long time ago.