PDA

View Full Version : front brakes wont build pressure...

Glamis400ex
06-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Hi gang,

I seem to be a thumbs.....here goes again....

I replaced stocker brake lines w/ extended stainless steel ones. Now that I have them installed, and added fluid, they wont build pressure?

What am I missing?

Glamis

airheadedduner
06-26-2002, 09:16 PM
You did bleed them right?? If they feel mushy there is still air in the system. Make sure all the fittings are tight. I had one come apart diving into a corner once.

Tommy 17
06-26-2002, 09:32 PM
mine did the same thing... it owuldn't take any fluid down... it took about 4 hours to bleed them...

-=Skot=-
06-26-2002, 09:37 PM
take the bleeder screw out of the calipers (one at a time is easiest) fill the reservior with dot 4 fluid then pump the brake until you see fluid squirt out of the bleeder screw hole, most of the air should be out now. then bleed em again to make sure. you should get pressure now.

-=Skot=-
06-26-2002, 09:43 PM
you could also use a vacuum bleeder, that works every time and only takes a few minutes.

Glamis400ex
06-26-2002, 09:43 PM
I pumped them like 50 times and nothing....

I didn't bleed anything the first time. I took off the banjo bolts at the calipers then at the master and the fluid went everywhere. Replaced the lines with new, filled the rezzie, and pumped like crazy.....nothing.

Glamis

airheadedduner
06-26-2002, 10:05 PM
I don't get what you are doin. Fill the rezzie, pump the brake a bunch of times then hold it, now release the bleeder valve. Do it to each side, going back in forth every time. Left caliper, right caliper, ect..... Don't release the brake untill you shut the pleeder valve or you are suckin air in. The brake pull should feel harder as you go if you are doing it right. It takes a long time and helps to have another person.

!!!!WARNING!!!! BRAKE FLUID WILL GO EVERYWHERE

leel
06-26-2002, 10:10 PM
I had the same thing happen the night before a big ride when I changed the brake pads. Nothing would work until I got a vacuum brake bleeder, no pressure would build up, period.

Lorrin

06-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Those are some good suggestions for bleeding but I think he may be having another problem.

When you first instll new brake lines they are completely empty and filled with air. After getting everything set up loosly you are ready to start. First make sure that all your line fittings are tight except for the banjo bolts on the line where it meets the caliper. Fill up the rez and keep it filled while pumping like crazy. You will be pumping hundreds of times to push enough fluid thru and you will see the fluid start coming out of the loose banjo fitting.

OK once you have fluid going past the bolts then you need to tighten them up so you stop the large fluid leak and alsao stop air from getting in. (the first parts of this take a while so be patience) After completing this step its time for some break bleeding. You will still be pumping a lot as the system is still not filled w/fluid and needs to push out the air in the system so it can have enough fluid =.

Once you have enough fluid in and air out of the system you can begin bleeding the brakes normaly (which is posted in depth somewere on here.

Good Luck

06-27-2002, 09:14 AM
When I replaced my lines in the front pumping the break did absolutely nothing,,,I guess those of you that pumped the break and it pushed the fluid down got real lucky. I had to hook a bleeder hose to the bleeder valve and suck the fluid down to the caliper,,,that was the only way it could be done,,it took me about an hour to change the break lines up front..bleeding them only took about 5 minutes after i did it this way,,the rear break was much easier,,pumping the break did push the fluid back but it DID NOT on the front. sucking the fluid down was the only way I got it to work,,,try that glamis and I garauntee it will work,,just don't drink too much break fluid cuz it will give you gas...:eek:

06-27-2002, 12:09 PM
A friend was replacing the rear pads on his 400 and after fighting to get the piston to release or return he finally got it all installed but had no lever pressure hmmm.

So he started to fill the res as it was dry and pump up the fluid to try to bleed them. Well after refilling the res about four or five times he was getting frustrated that there still was no pressure in the lever.

it was not untill about another four or five refills in the res that he realised that the oring seal had gone bad from how he pushed the plunger back and all the fluid was on the ground under his quad.

Now rather than buy the rebuild kit the nut just rides without rear brakes. We all stay behind him and just wait to watch when he crashes.

My point is allways look for what else may be wrong oh and dont ride in front of anyone who has bad brakes :D

Mitch400EX
06-27-2002, 12:41 PM
I had the same problem for a long time. I would try what rico said. Open up the bleeder screws one at a time and suck the fluid into the calipers. It worked for me. Only had to do it twice and everything was fine. I recomend using a straw or something you can see through so you know when you're about to inhale brake fluid.

Glamis400ex
06-27-2002, 05:55 PM
ok, now I'm starting to get upset.

I used the hose method and sucked fluid down into the caliper. Keeping and eye on the rezzie as to make sure not to let it go dry. I filled like 4 times or so, bled both sides and still no pressure. Fluid comes out the bleeder valve but doesn't really shoot out, just kinda oozes.

I am bleeding straight fluid now, no air bubbles and still no pressure. The front brakes were functioning perfect before this, no probs.

This is what I get for f*cking with it, I should have known to leave well enough alone.

Glamis

airheadedduner
06-27-2002, 06:23 PM
Whoa know!! Just take a swig of some brake fluid to calm your self down. I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like there is a leak somewhere or something. It sould have some presure even unbleed. That is really weird.

Glamis400ex
06-27-2002, 07:36 PM
ok, I think I got it.

I did notice a very miniscule leak at the master connection. I tightened the friggin snot outta all the bolts, way more than I thought it needed, but, if that's what it takes....

I must have pumped that stupid lever over a thousand times and then it just finally "caught". Remind me to never do the damn brakes again. I did my a arms and axle in shorter time than the brake lines took.....oh well. Let's hope they stay put!!!

Thanks to all who helped.

Glamis

Wired
06-27-2002, 08:42 PM
the best way to bleed brakes i found it is this.....

what we did was bought some clear hose to use as breather hoses for our quads. we bought it in a large spool... oh i'd say about 50 feet worth, but anways what i did was cut a peice that was long enough to go from the nipple of the brake caliper to the resivour (sp). now all you do is put the hose on the nipple, losin the nipple and put the other end of the hose in the resivour and pump away while adding what needs to be added. by doing this you can see if air is coming out or not, and you can tell by watching the ressy level, if bubbles come out your doing good. just make sure its all done bubbling and their bleed! easy as that, oh and make sure never to REUSE old brake fluid! hopefully this will help someone out, oh and it doesnt make as much as a mess as just letting it go on the floor :blah

rowlrag
06-27-2002, 09:04 PM
GREAT idea Cinqmars, just like bench bleeding a master cylinder for a car, never thought about it like that though, good! Also I have found that pulling the lever only half way or less not very fast helps release air quicker also tap on the lines etc. if stubborn. :D