PDA

View Full Version : rear link question

reichart90
12-08-2005, 10:20 AM
i know it was kind of just asked... but what exactly is different with say a GT thunder rear link vice the stock linkage?im actually starting to get things around for next winter project to redo some stuff on my 400ex... i might do a hybrid conversion if i find a good deal throughout the year on an engine. definitely revalve my front works triple rates and also my stock rear shock. also frame mods for the hybrid and get it powdercoated. other than that, EVERYTHING is aftermarket. just tryin to figure how much money to set aside to save up to do it all. she'll do as is for spring/summer/fall '06 riding on the practive tracks and trail ridin. but back to my orig question...

what exactly is different with a say a GT thunder rear link vice the stock linkage? i would assume different geometry. check out my sig... see if you cn spot anything else im missing aftermarket.

hmmm kill switch, larger gas tank (which i dont want anyway cuz i just rip around down at rausch creek). just gonna hafta gather up all my hybrid parts/pieces

KatHouseMouse
12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
I can't speak for the 400ex linkage but I can for the 450R (I pretty sure they are real close to the same). On the 450 linkage it moves the bottom of the shock towards the engine. Another words makes it stand up straighter. It makes a world of difference when you add the GT Thunder linkage and have your shock valved to it.

12-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Here is what the linkage does. It makes the rear shock have the correct compressed and extended lengths and in the process also gives A LOT better progression rate. Instead of the shock going from soft to hard really fast it makes a smoother transission from soft to hard. The shock must be revalved to correct the rebound valving and then the compression is valving is corrected for your weight and riding style. And, yes the 400ex and '04-'05 450R are the exact same except for a notch cut out on the 400ex to clear the frame.