PDA

View Full Version : is there such a thing?

450robot
12-07-2005, 09:29 PM
well, tonight i was thinking about powdercoating... and its been in my mind for a while that, it really sucks to spend all that money on coating parts, only to have it scrape, chip, and wear off. and then it dawned on me, has anyone ever thought of a plastic coating?

heres how i think it would go

the main component being a big tub like heated vat. the coating would be in the form of tiny colored beads, that you would put into the vat, the beads would melt, ant then you parts would be dipped in, and then kept in. then, very, very slowly and carefully, the molten plastic would be drained from the vat (with the frame or part still in the vat). the reason for the slow draining, is so that when it drains, the part exposed has a chance to dry, but wont drip, this would continue, until the whole frame or part is exposed, and dry

and tada! yo have a plastic coated part!

i think (im not saying it is) it would be incredibly strong and durable, it wouldnt chip, and if scratched, it could be heated in the spot, and smoothed back out, or more melted plastic could be added

this would be ideal for high wear parts like frames, beadlock rings and wheels, or any along those lines

the only disadvantage i would see is that if a parts bends, you would have a hell of a hard time welding it

well, what do you think of my idea?

Moto92
12-07-2005, 09:57 PM
you can buy small cans of this stuff called plasticoat. its used for smaller stuff like dipping tools in.

450robot
12-07-2005, 10:03 PM
you mean plastickote the paint company? or plasticoat, as in krylons paint?

cause those are nothing like im talking about

do you have any more info on it? because i have never heard of it

TheX1992
12-07-2005, 10:26 PM
My dad works at a plastic molding company and I know the beads you're talking about. My only concern is if you want to put plastic on your frame or what not, the heat from your motor/exhaust would melt it away. In fact, any head would make runs like in a paint job.

EDIT:

Also, to heat a vat big enough to hold a frame (probably 5ftx3ft) would not work to keep a constant flow of plastic, it would get solid in the middle. When he melts plastic for molding, it still takes an extreme temperature and it only flows through a small hose. Now if you make something like a spray gun, that would be your best bet.

JOPLINGUY
12-07-2005, 10:35 PM
there is a place is parsons kansas that does have a machine that is big enough to do what your wanting i am not sure what it would cost but i have seen them do some large items and it looked cool i will get you a phone number if your interested

smr
12-08-2005, 04:11 AM
I had a buddy do what your talking about with Ryno lining...it worked very well and he never had a problem with heat or chipping.

You can get Ryno lining in about any color you want.