PDA

View Full Version : Amp Question Part 2

CaptainCanuck
12-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Okay, I took your guys' advice and used a bigger fuse and it cured that problem. Now I have another dilemma. Lately, it has been very cold, around -25 degrees celcius, and for some unknown reason, my sub only puts out bass for the first 10 seconds that my car is running and then it suddenly quits. I don't know what is causing it. Is there something wrong with my amp, inline fuse, wiring, or quite possible the cold? I'm kind of clueless when it comes to this stuff so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hardkoratvmxr
12-07-2005, 07:47 PM
are you getting in your car and instantly letting your sub hit? i was told that subs need to warm up. so you might try to turn the radion on a rock station and turn the bass down to like +1 and leave it like that for 10-15 minutes before you start pounding

CaptainCanuck
12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
when i get in my car, i usually have the volume turned right down so that it is not a big blast of bass. the bass is turned down on my amp right now because it is winter and i dont wanna be bottled up inside of my car with a ton of bass and no way to open a window. But I do have an option on my cd player to actually turn my subwoofer off so i could turn it off as soon as i get in and start it and see if that works.

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Anyone else have any suggestions as to what is going on?

wilkin250r
12-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm thinking that maybe your amp is overheating. Many amplifiers have a thermal cut-off. If it gets too hot, it shuts itself down.

This could also explain your blown fuses. If you've got something goofy in your amp trying to pull too much power, it blows the fuse. You replaced it with a larger fuse, and now it's overheating some component and tripping the thermal cutoff.

Just one theory.

red2004 TRX450R
12-08-2005, 10:58 AM
are you running the correct Ohms for the amp? if you run your amp @ say 1 ohm and it is made to run @ 4 ohms it will blow fulsed or over heat and shut off, and will blow the amp up!!

you can hook the subs up differently to get diffrent OHMS! you may want to take it to a pro auto shop if you dont know what im talking about!

and you never really want to run the bass setting on you receiver any higher the flat!, or you will clip the amp out.

electronics like to be cold they run more efficient when cold!!!

it could all so be the remote wire that turns on the amp - some receiver are known for low remote voltage!

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 11:13 AM
As for the fuses, i jumped it up to a 20w fuse (it was 15 before) and i blew that and for some odd reason, i told my self to toss another 15w fuse in and i've never had a problem with it blowing fuses again.

As for overheating, if my amp can overheat in less than a minute, than i'd say that it might be problem.

As for the Ohms, i'm going to get my cousin to look at my system when he comes out this weekend. He is an expert in this kind of stuff and hopefully he can determine the problem and fix it.

Thanks guys.

kdub33
12-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I took my whole system out for the winter. 1)Sounds like crap in the winter 2)every plastic thing in my truck rattles b/c its cold 3)the subs sound like crap when they are cold. so i just said screw it. lol

tater_kamik
12-08-2005, 01:02 PM
im gonna have to say you may have wired it incorrectly, take an ohm meter, and see how much resistance you are getting.

CaptainCanuck
12-08-2005, 01:13 PM
but thats the thing. I know i didnt wire it incorrectly because it was running for about 6 months all fine and dandy and recently, i replaced the cd player and now its acting up? Unless i wired the remote incorrectly, i cant see there being any other problems related to that. As far as measuring the ohms, where can i find an ohm meter?