PDA

View Full Version : 300ex shock conversion

gunfreak00
12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Heres a link to their sight, but all the pictures are on theri ebay store. http://www.diamondjcustoms.com/pages/1/index.htm

Trevor
12-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Is there a down side to these setups? Are they safe and reliable? Dose the bike handle like crap with these kits?

ZeroLogic
12-08-2005, 01:49 PM
dangerous it can bend the frame or crack just widen your front end the right way;)

Honda TRX250ex
12-08-2005, 01:51 PM
there good if you ride in the woods not going fast on bad trails
i wouldent recomemde them for jumping or racing

gunfreak00
12-08-2005, 02:02 PM
The shock mounts look good and can't see what it would hurt. The widening kit could be scary. Maybe I'll just get the 400ex a arms and be done. I was hoping this would be cheap.

I asume i will need longer hoses for the brakes?

holister
12-08-2005, 02:05 PM
i had one on my 250ex and raced a whole racing series in mo the caatv series and i had no problems but ya thats just because i didnt know about the company's that make 250ex a arms i'd get some bugard +3 a arms

exrider008
12-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
there good if you ride in the woods not going fast on bad trails
i wouldent recomemde them for jumping or racing

if u go to there web site they say that they are are "1/4 thick" and they say ther can take motocross and jusmps

so dont tell everyone that they ant good fo jumps when u dont know what u r talking about:mad:

ZeroLogic
12-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by exrider008
if u go to there web site they say that they are are "1/4 thick" and they say ther can take motocross and jusmps

so dont tell everyone that they ant good fo jumps when u dont know what u r talking about:mad:

so if i took it off a 50 foot jump they wouldnt bend my frame?

and do you have any proof that they are good do you own a set?

Honda TRX250ex
12-09-2005, 09:14 AM

its common sense
go put one on a 400ex and hit a 80 foot jump and tell me that they dont bend
so dont tell me that they are good for jumping when you dont have any on your quad:grr:

gunfreak00
12-09-2005, 10:16 AM
WOW this is getting ugly fast!

As an enginiering stand point their theory is sound. The diamond J's is laminated for added durability. It is stronger than one solid peice of steel or alum. The bracket is one solid peice rather than two individual mounts.With the two mounts connected with an arch, it will distribute a great amount of force before failing. I think anything that would destroy these mounts would cripple any stock framework. Look at all the gusseting work that has to be done to stock quads before racing (or should be).

Most of us are not going to be hitting 80 ft jumps or seriously racing the quads these kits go on. If that is what you want, buy a better quad. Most of the time I ride is with my 11 year old son and mom. I rarely get out of 3rd gear on these days but would appreciate better shocks up front, I just can't see spending $600 in shocks for a $3000 quad that I'm going to replace. Hell, I bought new shocks and a flowmaster pipes set for the truck for that!

My question was has anybody used this set up so I can see if it will ride high or funcky. I just liked the price and adjustability of the set up.

Oh, and by the way. "can we all just get a long"? HE HE

ZeroLogic
12-09-2005, 11:51 AM
i was reading another post on here a while ago about these kits he said it cracked his from bent his tie rod and had a pretty big mess

but another guy on here races a 250ex and has the same kit and hasnt had a single problem with his

50/50 chance IMO

bwamos
12-09-2005, 03:44 PM
I dont see it damaging the frame.

I do see it creating excess bumpsteer. Short a-arms, long tie rods.

Other than that, it shouldn't be a problem, other than it's ugly.

However at the top shock location, you are adding quite a bit of extra leverage for torsional stress (by moving your leverage point out a couple inches) when you activate the suspension on only one side of the quad in rough terrain or poor landings on a jump.

I dont like the setup. But it is 100x better than wheel spacers. On a budget for your average recerational rider.. it would be just fine. If your not an agressive rider, I wouldn't worry about it.

gunfreak00
12-09-2005, 04:38 PM
"I dont see it damaging the frame.

I do see it creating excess bumpsteer. Short a-arms, long tie rods.

Other than that, it shouldn't be a problem, other than it's ugly."

If I only change the mounting point of the shocks, how will that make the tie rods long?

What is excess bump steer and why would changing the shocks cause this?

What would be ugly about it?

exrider008
12-09-2005, 07:13 PM
its common sense
go put one on a 400ex and hit a 80 foot jump and tell me that they dont bend
so dont tell me that they are good for jumping when you dont have any on your quad:grr:

i do have a set just not on yet

Honda TRX250ex
12-09-2005, 08:43 PM
i do have a set just not on yet
key word not on yet

exrider008
12-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Honda TRX250ex no hard fellings i was just trying to get my point acrross that most of us aren’t going to be taking 80 foot jumps:)

Honda TRX250ex
12-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda TRX250ex no hard fellings i was just trying to get my point acrross that most of us aren’t going to be taking 80 foot jumps:)
i wasent trying to get you pissed off at me lol i was just saying that why buy a peice of metal to extend you a arms when you can buy + a arms or even wheel spacers

ZeroLogic
12-10-2005, 08:49 AM
i wasent trying to get you pissed off at me lol i was just saying that why buy a peice of metal to extend you a arms when you can buy + a arms or even wheel spacers

wheel spacers are worse then thoses;)

exrider008
12-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
wheel spacers are worse then thoses;)

ya they r
:D